xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Just A Quick Question  (Read 813 times)

YoungHova

• Archived User
Just A Quick Question
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »

Can ubuntu on the 360 fully use its tri-core processor and the ATI GPU. (please dont flame me for this) or does it have restriction like the ps3 linux versions? And can this be done with a Xbox 360 elite because I want a larger harddrive. also is there a way to use a standard ATA 133 or sata harddrive on a 360?

This post has been edited by YoungHova: Jan 16 2008, 02:31 PM

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Just A Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(YoungHova @ Jan 16 2008, 02:27 PM) View Post

Can ubuntu on the 360 fully use its tri-core processor and the ATI GPU. (please dont flame me for this) or does it have restriction like the ps3 linux versions? And can this be done with a Xbox 360 elite because I want a larger harddrive. also is there a way to use a standard ATA 133 or sata harddrive on a 360?

hmm how to answer your questions
does linux see all three cores? Yes
can we address the ATI GPU? Yes
Larger xbox 360 HD for linux? Yes
Standard PATA drive? No
Normal SATA drive? Yes if you can draw 12Volt fromsomewhere.

Have i ever used the 2nd&3rd core? Not that linux doesn't do automatically i remember some disussion about SMP kernels etc never heard about it again

ATI GPU so we have video rendering for it? No We don't, we can create shaders and have it displayed by the ATI GPU, but for the moment 'we' use an 'ugly' (so the creator says) framebuffer video driver.
So i can use a 250GB harddrive for my game downloads and tv episodes on my xbox360? No you can't, because you don't have the correct hdss.bin well exactly it doesn't even exist, only the 120GB version exist (well i did get my hands on the 160GB hddss.bin version but no idea if it works for retail boxes) also the hdss.bin uses a serial that is connected to each harddrive, so in theory if 2 people use the same hdss.bin you will get banned

I hope you got the answers you wanteD?