xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Remote Backup  (Read 270 times)

tomato72

• Archived User
Remote Backup
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

Has anyone made attempts at mounting a game dvd while booted from the HDD?
Unfortunately my console has the newest kernel so I cannot yet experiment with linux, but it would be interesting to see if someone could set up the drive for networked mounting and copy the contents remotely for burning.  It would definitely be nice to not have to open up the xbox every time I get a new game or have to buy another dvd drive.  If anyone has tried it, let us know what you see when you try to mount a game DVD.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Remote Backup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(tomato72 @ Apr 21 2007, 05:44 PM) View Post

Has anyone made attempts at mounting a game dvd while booted from the HDD?
Unfortunately my console has the newest kernel so I cannot yet experiment with linux, but it would be interesting to see if someone could set up the drive for networked mounting and copy the contents remotely for burning.  It would definitely be nice to not have to open up the xbox every time I get a new game or have to buy another dvd drive.  If anyone has tried it, let us know what you see when you try to mount a game DVD.

first the dvd drive that is capable of reading xbox360 games cost me liked 15 euro...

second i don't think it is possible for the moment, because even for the pc its only possible with the sasmung drive (so no hitachi period) but for the moment there aren't any tools to 'submit' the right challenge response.

so for the moment it wouldn't be possible

ps i don't have a linux machine. This is all just logical reduction. If i'm faulty then i'm sorry but i don't see a flaw in my deduction.

tomato72

• Archived User
Remote Backup
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

As I understood it, windows machines could not recognize the hitachi drives like they could the samsung, but since there is a working boot off of the dvd drive, linux running on the xbox must recognize the drive.  AFAIK the ability to read the xbox file structure on game dvds is dependent on a drive with the right firmware, (MS, xtreme or Kreon)  I'm aware its not likely possible yet to do such things as extracting security sectors, and all the behind the scenes stuff built into XBC and the like, under linux, but I imagine it isn't too far of a stretch to think that if we can mount the drive with a game inside and dd the contents to some other machine, it won't be too long before the tools to patch images with SS are built.  I could be wrong however, and the reason the hitachi drives aren't usable for backing up discs is because they require some sort of confirmation that the machine they are operating for is an actual xbox, and linux would need some sort of special permission to have access to contents of a game disc.  (is this what you mean by "submit" the right challenge response?)
Anyone who can clear this up a bit more for me?