xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ubuntu on xbox360  (Read 1565 times)

gehx

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 26 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post

Quit spreading ignorance.
Neither of the 2 I listed out of many, require WMCE. In fact neither have anything to do with WMCE.
http://www.videolan....g-features.html
It says streaming .TS right there.

From almost any OS.
http://www.videolan..../streaming.html

That is without providing any links to MythTV, SageTV, etc.

ok, good ahead and try to stream .ts files to your 360 w/o having WMCE installed and tell me how you fair............................

futhermore, we need xbmc or something like that for the 360...how can you disagree, really?

JimmyGoon

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(El Duderino @ Mar 26 2007, 11:56 PM) View Post

Um yeah and since the sun shines we dont need lightbulbs or heaters either.

You either have the brains of a chickens ass or have never seen XBMC.

XBMC Is by far the best media player app created for any machine period.

You couple it with the 360 system and you have a system and app capable of of playing anything you wanna watch Including HDTV in all forms.

VLC Player is as useless as a donkey buddy.

Id much rather have my Clydesdale in XBMC

VLC=LOL!  Get real you queer

jester.gif

An idiot responds to an idiot like an idiot.

VLC and Mplayer POWER XBMC so going around calling them useless is backward and silly. I would really like to see XBMC's power go into LinuxMCE to focus development on a multimedia app that is usable on both the Xbox and PC's.

Now my question is... Will people develop for a 9.6Ghz Linux installation or will they use the (not-so-legal) XeDK?

throwingks

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(gehx @ Mar 26 2007, 06:01 PM) View Post
ok, good ahead and try to stream .ts files to your 360 w/o having WMCE installed and tell me how you fair............................

futhermore, we need xbmc or something like that for the 360...how can you disagree, really?
Do you not know what an exploit is?
Do you not understand Ubuntu is Linux, and that will be the operating system?
If the Xbox 360 is exploited, you no longer have the limitations setup by Microsoft. You can stream anything from any machine to a Linux machine. The Xbox 360 is now a Linux Computer. If XBMC can stream it, it is because Mplayer can.

Do you not also understand XBMC is based on all the software I am talking about?

The only thing team XBMC developed was a DVD player GUI interface. Mplayer doesn't have one. Everything else, is based on what I am talking about. The only reason it wasn't done on Xbox 1 was because the Xbox 1 was not powerful enough for Linux and mplayer to load effectively. If the Xbox 360 is truly hacked giving us full access to hardware, then it will be more than powerful enough, to run Linux, Beryl, and the media player of your choice, in any format, streamed from any place on the network.

MythTV does everything XBMC does and more. Interactive TV Guide, stream live TV, DVR, etc.

Go search youtube for Beryl and then MythTV then tell me XBMC is the greatest thing ever invented.

Don't get me wrong, XBMC is great software. But full fledged Linux is much more powerful. There would be no reason for them to do anything if Mplayer, VLC, MythTV, SageTV, Linux in general already work.

XBMC is easy for a non computer literate person to use, but MythTV is just as easy, with more features.

Let me ask you this. Do you run XBMC on your PC? Probably not, because there is already software on your PC that does everything that XBMC does. Same with Linux. Skinners do, but that's not for media playback.

Edit: I never heard of LinuxMCE until JimmyGoon mentioned it. But, go look at the screenshots.
http://wiki.linuxmce...php/Screenshots

JimmyGoon

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

I'll say this for everyone's benefit including the post above this very writing.

It was known that a linux loader (XeLL) was created; assumed successfully.
It was known that an exploit exists.
It IS known that someone from xbox--hacker.net was able to do this ALREADY.

My question is, video aside (lame as it is or isn't)... Why would you doubt this? As for the quality of the video, I have this much to say since everyone seems to be expressing their opinions. You have two options. One: it is real, poorly made, still exciting, something to hope for at the very least. Two: it is fake, a waste of someone's time, you got your hopes up, but then again you know someone wasted their time making it.

SO... My suggestion would be... Go try the freaking guide. If it doesn't work, you're either an idiot, or its fake. As for the rest of us/you... how about just waiting until a general, more applicable exploit is found. No sense in stressing over something you can't do anything about (as for those of you that can and are working on it, thanks you so freaking much. I'm dieing to use Ubuntu [and linuxmce and beryl... etc] on my xbox360)

------

I have to say, I was kind of afraid my post above was a bit rude, but now that I look back on it, that moron registered just to make a fool out of himself out of ignorance in an attempt to belittle someone else... Do we really not have better things to do with our time... honestly...

us1111

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 27 2007, 01:57 AM) View Post

Do you not know what an exploit is?
Do you not understand Ubuntu is Linux, and that will be the operating system?
If the Xbox 360 is exploited, you no longer have the limitations setup by Microsoft. You can stream anything from any machine to a Linux machine. The Xbox 360 is now a Linux Computer. If XBMC can stream it, it is because Mplayer can.

Do you not also understand XBMC is based on all the software I am talking about?

The only thing team XBMC developed was a DVD player GUI interface. Mplayer doesn't have one. Everything else, is based on what I am talking about. The only reason it wasn't done on Xbox 1 was because the Xbox 1 was not powerful enough for Linux and mplayer to load effectively. If the Xbox 360 is truly hacked giving us full access to hardware, then it will be more than powerful enough, to run Linux, Beryl, and the media player of your choice, in any format, streamed from any place on the network.

MythTV does everything XBMC does and more. Interactive TV Guide, stream live TV, DVR, etc.

Go search youtube for Beryl and then MythTV then tell me XBMC is the greatest thing ever invented and I do believe you haven't used XBMC before.

Don't get me wrong, XBMC is great software. But full fledged Linux is much more powerful. There would be no reason for them to do anything if Mplayer, VLC, MythTV, SageTV, Linux in general already work.

XBMC is easy for a non computer literate person to use, but MythTV is just as easy, with more features.

Let me ask you this. Do you run XBMC on your PC? Probably not, because there is already software on your PC that does everything that XBMC does. Same with Linux. Skinners do, but that's not for media playback.

Edit: I never heard of LinuxMCE until JimmyGoon mentioned it. But, go look at the screenshots.
http://wiki.linuxmce...php/Screenshots

Hmm.. Okay nice story.. But why would we want all the bloat we get from a complete Linux O.S. + X + Beryl? It makes boot times much longer, the system as a whole bloated and probably, within the 512MB, quite slow. On the other hand, XBMC is written as a single application with speed in mind.

I'm willing to bet that if it's ported to the 360, a whole lot of new features will be available in no time to exploit the extra power of the 360. The developers of XBMC are quite dedicated to their work and I dare to say that XBMC is the most stable, simple to use and small full fledged multimedia environment around.
We know that it uses Mplayer and other opensource building blocks, but that's the reason it is called opensource and is the smart thing to do.

To run LinuxMCE + Ubuntu + X on a 512MB machine (With shared video mem)  is doable, but not the best way to go imho.. Way to much overhead for it's core purpose.

And yes.. I do use linux+beryl+myth on my desktop, but still think XBMC is the best. And by the remarks you have about the missing functionality on XBMC I can tell you never have used it recently. It's btw. quite logical that a DVR is not on board, where would we get the video from with an XBOX1?

jcdenton2003

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »

did anyone notice the Leds on the rol towards the end off the video..?

throwingks

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(us1111 @ Mar 27 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post
Hmm.. Okay nice story.. But why would we want all the bloat we get from a complete Linux O.S. + X + Beryl? It makes boot times much longer, the system as a whole bloated and probably, within the 512MB, quite slow. On the other hand, XBMC is written as a single application with speed in mind.

I'm willing to bet that if it's ported to the 360, a whole lot of new features will be available in no time to exploit the extra power of the 360. The developers of XBMC are quite dedicated to their work and I dare to say that XBMC is the most stable, simple to use and small full fledged multimedia environment around.
We know that it uses Mplayer and other opensource building blocks, but that's the reason it is called opensource and is the smart thing to do.

To run LinuxMCE + Ubuntu + X on a 512MB machine (With shared video mem)  is doable, but not the best way to go imho.. Way to much overhead for it's core purpose.

And yes.. I do use linux+beryl+myth on my desktop, but still think XBMC is the best. And by the remarks you have about the missing functionality on XBMC I can tell you never have used it recently. It's btw. quite logical that a DVR is not on board, where would we get the video from with an XBOX1?

I am saying for the power, not just media streaming. Linux is Open Source as well. It doesn't have to be Ubuntu, it can be xDSL. You can boot it off a DVD, whatever. My original point was, Team XBMC doesn't have to do all the work they did for Xbox 1, because all of the work has been done for them, if we can get full access to the Xbox 360 hardware. That means Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. Everything a Linux PC can do.

Somewhere this turned into XBMC is better than you thread. It all started by my comment that we dont need XBMC for the 360, because all the work is already done. I still stand by it. If we can all do the exploit easily, we can all do everything XBMC does and more.

If they still want to go forward and port to Xbox360 I am sure people won't mind, but it is not needed.

To explain another point, if you use your PC w/ TV Card and Harddrive space as a backend, you can turn the Xbox360 w/ Linux into a frontend, and have a DVR. I know it is possible on Xbox1 but it is much harder, and not as effecient.

Kr0n1k

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Video looks fake, I can switch my TV from one source to another also. I can also do dual screen with my video card. Unimpressed. Also, Microsoft is updating the dash later this year with TV over IP, better than DVR, better than XBMC. Article here.

sentinel0

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

Here is where my curiosity lies I know it'll be slow as Christmas but the guys over at pcsx2.net have decided to start working again the Linux ver.  But any ways peace out side

openxdkman

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2007, 04:33:00 AM »

Something annoys me about IPTV, professional companies that maintain biggest parts of global internet pipes have seriously warned console manufacturers that their plan to promote huge data streams (online game, movies downloads, etc...) would go to a disaster situation because physical bandwidth is NOT there.
Internet can't be loaded more and more forever. There is a limit, coming quick.

I would understand if MS was to create its own global private internet network, but it's not the case.

For HQ TV I think a satelite decoder is a more reasonable approach.
And for local HQ movie distribution, XBMC still rocks.

BLKMGK

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

This IS pretty exciting, even if the video isn't as clear as some might like it to be. Personally I don't want full on Linux on an XBOX either for many of the reasons already cited however this is an opening and a way to get further into the hardware - it's needed. I'd agree too that XBMC is the best out there but mostly because it's EASY. Myth has more features and is more flexible but configuring it for the average person is a nightmare mad.gif I have given out hacked XBOX running XBMC as gifts and those folks have used them for months with no problems, I cannot do that with Myth.

What Myth needs is a standard platform, something the developers can count on that would allow them to write streamlined stripped down code to run on. The old XBOX isn't powerful enough for 1080HD, at least without hardware accel it's not. The 360 MIGHT be and if so by all means let this be the platform that people write to.

XBMC is as good as it is because the people writing for it know exactly what the hardware is going to look like, the 360 will be the same only better. LinuxMCE looks interesting too, now trim the fat and write it for specific platform and make it EASY to install like XBMC is (okay it's not perfect but it's not hard either). Done right it will boot fast enough and the user will have no clue if it's Linux or DOS under the covers.

The beauty here is the nice standard platform that won't change like quicksand under the developers. The aTV is also being hacked like mad right now and is arguably easier to modify (not much to argue there really). However that machine has a single 1gig CPU, cannot play console games, and has little memory. The 360 could\should be a better platform I think.

Things are getting REAL interesting with the 360 FINALLY pop.gif  and I may buy one hoping to get the old firmware. Running Linux is just the first step, hopefully the next steps will come quickly and a project much like XBMC will spring from it taking advantage of the added power...

seanp2500

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »

http://www.wired.com...c/2005/08/68501

can this be done on the 360?

throwingks

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

^ Potentially, yes. Very interesting link. Thank you for it.

Fragreaver

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

I hope that something like this will be possible on the 360. Because ... it simply rocks smile.gif
MacOS X would be much better, but not without video drivers (no CI/QE :/ )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]