xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ubuntu on xbox360  (Read 1563 times)

Killerchronic

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

well this looks like it could be interesting, can't wait to see where this goes from here!
fake or not with the hypervisor esploit it was/is only a matter of time b4 someone came up with something.

kevhonda

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »

Nice link NinjaMan that is some interesting stuff..Intresting to know if this would work for Whoppix or Auditor as well.  

"how does he control the 360? how does the mouse and keyboard work on it?"  <-- Looks to me as though they are using the Serial connector to control the 360, I could be wrong on this (someone correct me if I am please).  

jabroniekilla

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »

all and good but I will be excited when I see XBMC running.

throwingks

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

If VLC, MythTV or any other prog already out there runs then there is no need for XBMC.

gehx

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 26 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post

If VLC, MythTV or any other prog already out there runs then there is no need for XBMC.

the fuck you say!! all of those require WMCE to stream .ts, BOO to you...think about what you're saying, also, XBMC in it's current state does more than just media, it's a full fledge dash.

throwingks

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(gehx @ Mar 26 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post
the fuck you say!! all of those require WMCE to stream .ts, BOO to you...think about what you're saying, also, XBMC in it's current state does more than just media, it's a full fledge dash.

Quit spreading ignorance.
Neither of the 2 I listed out of many, require WMCE. In fact neither have anything to do with WMCE.
http://www.videolan....g-features.html
It says streaming .TS right there.

From almost any OS.
http://www.videolan..../streaming.html

That is without providing any links to MythTV, SageTV, etc.

bucko

• Recovered User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

This aint a fake, it shows 3 tux logos on boot which means 3 Cores available (the one to the left is a bit stretched).

Nice work, now we need mod chips to downgrade the kernel, hopefully this current linux will let hackers learn more about the hardware/CPU key etc.

Strag0

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cpas @ Mar 26 2007, 06:22 PM) View Post

You guys are never happy ... I did not make this video to prove something or to gain an oscar. I never claimed to be the first to boot linux on the 360 etc...
I just used the available tools to make this, that is available for all of us, you would just have to read around to see that the bootloader and the linux patch are out since a while.

I just make a crappy video for the people who asked me to make one, because they dont have the right kernel and they just cant wait anymore. Also explain me how to use a mouse and a keyboard to login and carry the camera in same time ... without put it on the ground.

*sigh* i dont understand why people talk about something they dont know.

No worries Cpas! You did a great job with the video. Someone will ALWAYS have an issue.

Thanks for the great video and the insight of things to come!

Marcian

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

CPAS: Thanks a lot for your effort. I had been waiting for a video and you already made two. Great. Those videos keep my hope up, that it might be available even for me in the near future (my brothers box has the vulnerable kernel).

One point about the Samsung DVD drive. I know it is not accessible from a usual Operating System unless it operates in 0800 mode. So i read something about the XELL having been modified to expect one keystroke before booting from dvd or tftp. So if one would boot from the KK DVD to the point where the key needs to be pressed, then inserts the 0800-mode DVD, waits for 15 seconds, pulls off the 0800 dvd and puts in the Linux CD or whatever. Shouldn't it work then?

us1111

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 26 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

Yeah.. Well.. XBMC does a darn nice job of keeping my girfriend happy with my current XBOX. I don't think the long boot-times and general interface to boot up Linux will do the trick. XBMC has come close to the perfect multimedia dash and if possible for one way or another should be ported to the 360 asap!

An I too believe that this could be the way in for a more generic or universal hack to the 360.

Cpas

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marcian @ Mar 26 2007, 08:15 PM) View Post

CPAS: Thanks a lot for your effort. I had been waiting for a video and you already made two. Great. Those videos keep my hope up, that it might be available even for me in the near future (my brothers box has the vulnerable kernel).
One point about the Samsung DVD drive. I know it is not accessible from a usual Operating System unless it operates in 0800 mode. So i read something about the XELL having been modified to expect one keystroke before booting from dvd or tftp. So if one would boot from the KK DVD to the point where the key needs to be pressed, then inserts the 0800-mode DVD, waits for 15 seconds, pulls off the 0800 dvd and puts in the Linux CD or whatever. Shouldn't it work then?

Yep your true, you can use the samsung drive this way. I made it :
http://mydedibox.hom...l_choice.tar.gz

Marcian

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

@Cpas: I had already seen that file from you.

I was just curious, because i had read somewhere else (or even in this thread but just further up), that only the Hitachi DVD is accessible from Linux.
Thank you for confirming that this is not the case.

pancus

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

@Cpas: first of all good job. That's fawking sweet you got linux with full gui to boot. I have just one small request, since you have video working can you play a video file though mplayer/vnc/xine or something? I'm guessing the X11 video driver (mabye even xv) under mplayer will work. I would like to see if this works well, that would be one huge step towards using the 360 as a media center  smile.gif

I wish I had an old kernel 360 so I could screw with it like this...

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

nice work! But, what can you do after the bootup? Can you run apps...like mplayer or even access the dvd? If you can mount the xbox360 file system? The boot loader is just a boot disk running off the ubuntu disk. It's like only a virtual O.S. So, if you can see the hardware and stuff and all the devices once the ubuntu o.s. gets loaded then you're good. I suppose there will be need for development to port kernel level drivers for the xbox360. But that's not too hard for some one with access to devkits for the 360.

El Duderino

• Archived User
Ubuntu on xbox360
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 26 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post

Um yeah and since the sun shines we dont need lightbulbs or heaters either.

You either have the brains of a chickens ass or have never seen XBMC.

XBMC Is by far the best media player app created for any machine period.

You couple it with the 360 system and you have a system and app capable of of playing anything you wanna watch Including HDTV in all forms.

VLC Player is as useless as a donkey buddy.

Id much rather have my Clydesdale in XBMC

VLC=LOL!  Get real you queer

jester.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4