xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mac Os X On The 360?  (Read 1112 times)

satans_banjo

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

This forum is probably the place for this (Mac OS X is Unix-based). Anyway, what does everyone think will come of a Mac OS X port for the XBox 360? I remember the port for the XBox but since the 360 has a PowerPC processor then OS X would be able to run at native speeds (theoretically). However, this may require a chip - the same kind of chip that stops OS X from running on home-built machines. Would it be possible to provide a BIOS that supports this or maybe a software exploit?

Thanks in advance for any answers. I'm looking forward to my £280 dream machine.

Arius

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:07:00 AM »

In theroy is may be possible, however it would (at best guess) require a software exploit or a chip, and with no source code being avalable then i would highly doubt it ever happening.

marco333

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »

Mac OSX on Xbox360 is possible if Linux run on Xbox 360.
Mac have proprety Rom so direct run OSX is very difficult, but if linux run, we can run MaconLinux www.maconlinux.org then OSX.
I think......I hope.......

My english is very bad.... :blink: sorry

This post has been edited by marco333: Nov 19 2005, 02:26 PM

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arius @ Nov 19 2005, 09:08 PM)
however it would (at best guess) require a software exploit or a chip

it would definetly require and xbox360 that can run unsigned code.

now does anyone have the mac OSX source code lying around on their hard drive? :P

satans_banjo

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »

Well the UNIX foundation for Mac OS X (Darwin) is open-source. That could be a start

http://www.opensourc...nsource/10.2.6/

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

It will be alot more work getting linux running on the xbox 360 just because of the processor.. Once we have a patch for that.. THen a boot loader :-P.. None the less a hard time with the video encoder's again :-).. I highly doubt it will be with in 2 years but i will support the linux project! :-P

deadparrot

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

What about a port of PearPC to the 360?

Alright, so emulation is slower, but it's a start.

bucko

• Recovered User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

OSX on the 360 would make a very nice mac! I have a mac mini my self but if I was to get a 360 and if it can run OSX then boy it would make a nice PC. I think it is possible, it has enough power, enough ram (even though it's shared) and great graphics.

The drivers are going to be the biggest hurdle let alone all the security. However if you look at the OSX_x86 project people have hacked to run native on PCs then I'm sure this can be done, because they wouldn't have the source to bypass the TPM chip on a x86 native PC. So I think it just takes a lot of courage for someone to do it, but someone out there will.

deadparrot

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Nov 22 2005, 08:08 PM)
The drivers are going to be the biggest hurdle let alone all the security. However if you look at the OSX_x86 project people have hacked to run native on PCs then I'm sure this can be done

I second that.  I've got the x86 copy of mac os x running under VMware, it's a bit slow, but it works!

PCBUILDERCHRIS

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

i have x86  runing too the newer build works bette with sse2 the first os x86 by deadmoo ran slower on my cely cuz i didn thave sse but after enough pathces and starting up with somthing like x86|PC it runs nicely actually faster than the old g3 ibook i found outside (no wonder it was outside its the white kind too not those clam shells)

ole_dev_hacker

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »

Damn it'd be sweet to see OS X run on the xbox 360! I'm sure it would run smooth and slick on it... I mean the chips are powerpc processors, and I've actually run OS X Tiger on a B&W G3 with only 400MHZ / 512 RAM and it ran just perfect ;-) Hope to see some one hack it to run OS X! But for now..... we gotta wait for the folks to get the 360 Hacked :)

Later!

shakaru

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »

The main issue with running Macosx on the 360 is the video drivers. As most of the pc osx users have noticed, there is a great lack of avaible drivers for osx for their existing video cards. Now while there are several projects out there right now to get the cards working with both CoreImage and....and...what ever the other one is, I forgot, its still going to be a long as way to get it all going smothly.
Also, the verson of osx we are screwing with is designed for the x86 processor, not the powerpc. To my knowlage, I dont belive that anyone has ever removed use of the TPM checks on a ppc version of osx for reasons beign, there are not any clone macs out there. A whole new version of osx would need to be hacked.

Here is a list of what needs to be done

*Video Drivers
*Input devices
*TPM checks
*sound drivers
*Disk usage
*Boot proceadure
*network interface
*and xbox360 security checks for unsigned code.

Thats all I can think off the top of my head, and I know theres alot more. Pretty much, I think its hopeless

Moltdar

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »

I was just thinking about this and it WILL definetely happen as soon as it gets modded and someone got working drivers for it. And hell i'm sure it'll run even faster with the 3 cores, which could be good news for a cheap real powerfull mac because of all the USB ports! (and i guess enough power would even be left for virtual PC in the background! :P:P

And the biggest Irony in this is MS and already wanting it to happen (sort of)...
Watch the 360 "Standoff" TV ad and you can hear the song at the end: "Where's the tiger!(repeat...)". That's what made me thought bout it happening :P

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

To get more involved i installed x86 OSX on my PC.. SS3 i'm running 10.4.1.. But this can't be helped for porting anything since it's still an x86 based processor.. As for an emulator.. This will be very hard.. Possible a API layer such as darwine might work better.. I've been messing with that on my x86 mac install seems to run games quite fast..

xblinkxkidx

• Archived User
Mac Os X On The 360?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »

its just the like the mac on a i386..it takes a whil;e...they didnt just get -it up when make was up...someone wiated till the develpoers buil;d came out for the i386...we will have to wait only tro seee what the xbox linux project brings us.
Pages: [1] 2