xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: MSFT wants to distribute XNA games like YouTube  (Read 394 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
MSFT wants to distribute XNA games like YouTube
« on: September 13, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 13 21:57 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From developmag.com:

In an exclusive two-part interview with Developmag.com, part one of which is available today, Chris Satchell (General manager of Microsoft's game developer group) said: "It's always been our vision since we've started.
"We use a music analogy - you know, it's like we've given the instruments so they can go and play music now, but what's the radio station where they can reach everyone? It's cool that they can invite people around and play in front of them, which is sort of the Creators Club, but hey, they want to play to the world."

"We don't have anything to announce about it yet, but I think it's really exciting, and to me that's the next really big step - we've opened up the Xbox, we've given a cross-platform framework, we've changed the paradigm of game development to make it easier.
"Now we need to provide people a stage to play on, a distribution medium so that they can show off their creativity to everyone. That's always been our vision and remains our vision."

Full Story: developmag.com (via xbox360fanboy.com)

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »

Anyone who doubts XNA should check out the videos below.

The game is called The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai.

It was a co-winner of the dream-build-play competition and will be coming to arcade in the future.

Looks amazing.

MysticalMagnet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

i def. hope they do this and that game does look awesome

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »

this should have been done from day one.

it would not only give a better way to give feedback, but would create way more buzz and get more people involved.

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »

Another quote from MicroShaft that falls into the "NO SHIT!, SHERLOCK!" category.

The answer is:
"Now we need to provide people a stage to play on, a distribution medium so that they can show off their creativity to everyone. That's always been our vision and remains our vision."

The question, Alex Trebek, is "What is something that Microsoft should have done from the very start and provided FREE for developers and gamers alike!"

Seriously though:   Microsoft needs to make the infrastructure available to XNA members and let XNA members charge what ever they want for what they create, including a public review process.   If an XNA member decides to charge $0, then Microsoft gets a percentage of that....  ZERO.   If an XNA member charges $2 for a game, then Microsoft could get 20 cents or something like that.

A youtube style place where gamer/programmers could share their created content for free would be great, but even some place that has a mix of pay/free content would be awesome.  Let's see it.   Doubt it will happen any time soon though.  Microshaft is slow and doesn't innovate very quickly.

Jagosix

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »

HFG. THANK you M$ for driving the gaming industry forward in this aspect. I don't see Sony nor Nintendo doing this @ all.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »

Give us full access to the hardware first before you cripple it even further.

nedelman

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »

The whole XNA initiative is a nice idea, but Microsoft's been pushing the "Youtube of games" thing for the last year, with little effect. Meanwhile, I have a site with a bunch of user-submitted XNA games and other projects that you can check out at www.gameprojects.com. There are some non-XNA projects on there as well, but the majority are XNA.

Here's a shortcut to all the XNA projects: http://www.gameprojects.com/projects/?q=xna

This post has been edited by nedelman: Sep 14 2007, 01:08 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Sep 14 2007, 06:17 AM) View Post

Give us full access to the hardware first before you cripple it even further.

um... if they provide a distribution medium you will have fairly widespread access to the hardware... developers will have a $100 annual fee but those who just want to run the hombrew will be able to do it for free...

There are some limitations but God damnit... take it one step at a time man  rolleyes.gif

This is like Bill Gates saying "I'm thinking about letting anyone who wants to drive my Ferrari, drive it when ever they want but they have to keep it under 60" and you're basically kicking him in the nuts and saying "screw you I want to drive it however fast I want" Meanwhile no one is allowed to drive anyone else's car.

BABY STEPS.... baby steps...

stowelly

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

i wish theyd hurry up and allow C++