xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Please Help Me I Am Starting To Program  (Read 240 times)

halo2master

• Archived User
Please Help Me I Am Starting To Program
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

I was just wondering, I am probably going to be a game developer so I needed to know what programming language I should learn about so I get a head start on learning a language and writing it.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Please Help Me I Am Starting To Program
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(halo2master @ Jun 14 2007, 06:59 PM) View Post

I was just wondering, I am probably going to be a game developer so I needed to know what programming language I should learn about so I get a head start on learning a language and writing it.

Well, start off with some details... how old are you? What is your education? How did you decide to become a game developer?

Many people today get their start in Java, since that's what gets crammed down the throats of CS students in college these days (COBOL for me, so get off my lawn) - but the most useful language would probably be ANSI C/C++, with a side helping of C# to take advantage of XNA (which is, of course, the forum you are posting in) which uses C# Express for game development.

C# can also be used to develop tools on the PC, but writing software for Windows in C/C++ helps out with that - since you'll find yourself requiring far more features than C# and the .NET Framework can provide (while you can expand that functionality with "pinvoke" calls, programming in C/C++ with the SDK will give you the knowledge to correctly declare and use those "pinvoke" calls.).

At any rate, we really do need more information from you to help you out.

...and since you are new (and I've been away from the scene for quite a while for other relative newbs here), I'll just tell you I'm a professional software engineer with 25 years experience programming and designing software at all levels (from embedded microchips to enterprise client/server apps), and I've done a little bit of programming on the original Xbox (well, a lot, but now I'm doing a lot of C# programming and looking at XNA for a few projects). I'll be around.