xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Comp: Pc Skin Editor (exe)  (Read 643 times)

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
Comp: Pc Skin Editor (exe)
« on: September 08, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

New skinning competition!!

This competition favors the veteran developers, but hey, anyone can contribute, it’s open to all. Our team needs a pc tool that will make skinning as easy as 1-2-3. Basically, what we need is an application that allows any color one wants to be applied simply and immediately to the nexgen dashboard. The skin files for nexgen can be found within the wip folder of the “official nexgen source 1.0”. This was released about a month ago (which you can find in the usual places). So give it a shot, let the world know how much talent you have, post screen shots of your application on this thread. Thank you for your help and consideration, it is all greatly appreciated. GOOD LUCK!!!

It can be written in any language you wish.

This post has been edited by HoRnEyDvL on Sep 10 2003, 04:57 AM

0s1r1s

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »

My second comp! I've already done the TitleImage.xbx one, and I'm maybe going to try this one; but, please try to be more explicit (Opensource software? evry programming languages or just C?) :)

This post has been edited by 0s1r1s on Sep 9 2003, 06:16 PM

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 06:25:00 PM »

Hmm Grammar. Your complaining about my grammar lets see how u will type if you havent had sleep for about 2days? Its not that bad my lil 10 yr old cousin could understand it. Is this what all you flamers do?.

Any ways 2 add more info. It doesnot matter what language its written in i prefer vb but c & c++ is more powerfull. The colour settings are not in the .lua files but are in the actual xbx files & the xbg files. You need 2 find a way 2 edit them legaly. The skin can be found in the usual places.

pj93711 Yeah ur right how about i just stop working on nexgen stop all press releases & see what you will be doing then. Im not coding this dash for money, nor am i coding it for my self. I along with the other devs are coding this for fun & i am sure that u dont always type corectly.

How about u finish off nexgen! im sure u will get heaps far with your perfect spelling maybe you will have it completed in a few years.

Its people like you that make other groups wanna stop working on there projects. Just once cant you just sit down & shut up.  

For reasons like this the names & details of the devs worling on this project will not be releases just incase 1 day we decide nope were not releasing this dash 2 the public. You can start flaming us now all you want but @ the end we make the decision on who gets the dash or not. If you cant do anything better then flame i suggest you use another dashboars like MXM as that in my opinion is the best dash followed by avalaunch & evo-x.

Once you see no post from me then you know i have quit working on nexgen & have left the scene like many other.

<<<<<<P.S pj93711 POST HAS BEEN REMOVED>>>>>>

This post has been edited by HoRnEyDvL on Sep 10 2003, 04:39 AM

Artifex

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 07:34:00 PM »

Whats the grand prize?

vokal4

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »

the warm feeling in ur heart that you've actually given back to the scene thats given you so much for once

Artifex

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 12:04:00 AM »

Giving back to the scene?

:blink:

Uhm, did you guys not see PBL?

I've already got the warm, fuzzy feeling.  Anything else to offer?

--Artifex

This post has been edited by Artifex on Sep 10 2003, 07:05 AM

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 09:02:00 AM »

I'm thinking of an app in the line of M$'s makexbg.exe which reorganizes DirectX Geometry files to Xbox geometry files.  Only this one would only input and output xbg files and unlike MSs, would allow Material/Texture editing... No modeling for now  ;)

If its of any interest, i've already started an MDI app that can Load/Render XBG files so far.

(IMG:http://www.cvendu.com/neXBG.jpg)

to the left of the model would be the edit0r  ;)

This post has been edited by Brouhaha on Sep 11 2003, 04:19 PM

0s1r1s

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »

I've started to work on this =>
(IMG:http://www.inetcrew.com/0s1r1s/images/neXgen/neXgenSkinEditor.jpg)
For the time, it's only able to modify .bmp images by changing the value of the RGB Channels, but I'm going to  try to add the xbg extraction (and creation) function legally.

This post has been edited by 0s1r1s on Sep 11 2003, 05:34 PM

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

I don't see how making XBG I/O legal is so hard (or even emphasized for this contest since neXgen IS illegal and uses XDK) but hey, here's mostly what you need to Load/Create/Render or extract textures from them legally (along with a DXSDK):

CODE

#define XBG_MAGIC (((DWORD)'X'<<0)|(((DWORD)'B'<<8))|(((DWORD)'G'<<16))|(2<<24))

struct XBG_HEADER
{
DWORD dwMagic;
DWORD dwNumMeshFrames;
DWORD dwSysMemSize;
DWORD dwVidMemSize;
};

struct XBMESH_FRAME
{
D3DXMATRIX        m_matTransform;
XBMESH_DATA     m_MeshData;
CHAR                   m_strName[64];
XBMESH_FRAME* m_pChild;
XBMESH_FRAME* m_pNext;

struct XBMESH_DATA
          {
           D3DVertexBuffer  m_VB;
           DWORD            m_dwNumVertices;
           D3DIndexBuffer   m_IB;
           DWORD            m_dwNumIndices;
           DWORD            m_dwFVF;
           DWORD            m_dwVertexSize;
           D3DPRIMITIVETYPE m_dwPrimType;
           DWORD            m_dwNumSubsets;
           XBMESH_SUBSET*   m_pSubsets;
           };

};

struct XBMESH_SUBSET
{
D3DMATERIAL8            mtrl;          
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE8 pTexture;
CHAR                           strTexture[64];
DWORD              dwVertexStart;
DWORD              dwVertexCount;
DWORD              dwIndexStart;
DWORD              dwIndexCount;
};

its not like we need the XDK or anything, just these structs and maybe a few constants I ommited.

This post has been edited by Brouhaha on Sep 11 2003, 06:35 PM

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 11:43:00 PM »

Nice work os1r1s & brouhaha @ least you people are helping :) were trying heaps hard 2 get a working version of nexgen out to you, what we are stuck on is that we cant get it 2 auto list .xbe :( But dont worry u will get a nexgen. Im sure benjeremy wouldn't mind helping us out abit.
Anyways keep up the good work.
Os1r1s if you get the app fully working will send u the fully working completed skin for you to test ect.

hope no 1 start flaming about speling because i dont give a fuck any more.
Os1r1s or brouhaha If you want 2 pop me a line or email pm me on these forums & ill give u my msn.

Take care people.

This post has been edited by HoRnEyDvL on Sep 12 2003, 07:05 AM

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 06:01:00 AM »

got some new screen shots of the emus & games menu working so this is how the end product skin looks like see them
here www.xboxopensource.com

Mattie

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 06:36:00 AM »

A simple question from a n00b...
Is it not possible to change the colors in the XML file?
Because I saw this working on neXgen 0.9x

Mattie

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 06:47:00 AM »

this is nexgen 1.0 no more 0.95
no more .xml

0s1r1s

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »

My app is writen in Delphi, I'm going to try to translate your C++ structure (thx 4 ur help Brouhaha) in Delphi, if someone can help me to do this, that would be great ;)
HoRnEyDvL, just tell me if it poses a problem if the program is written in Delphi and not in C/C++.
Think it's better if Brouhaha continues working on his project, I'll try to get mine fully working, but if I can't manage to translate this structure in Delphi to I/O XBG files, I won't be able to realise my skin editor :rolleyes:  

This post has been edited by 0s1r1s on Sep 12 2003, 04:51 PM

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

I know very little about Delphi, but wouldn't it be possible to write, lets say, xbgio.dll in c/c++ and interface that in delphi?  I'd gladly help if its a possibility as your app will truly be a "few-click" solution like the team is looking for.

I'm personnally aiming for a general purpose XBG editor, which would mean opening every single model and modifying them one by one.