xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlines Xbox Live/MSN Integration  (Read 1062 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Outlines Xbox Live/MSN Integration
« on: December 16, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

Microsoft Outlines Xbox Live/MSN Integration-- Posted by XanTium on December 16 14:40 EST
From gamasutra.com:

According to a report from the BBC News website, Microsoft is planning a new Xbox Live feature which will allow Xbox 360 users to contact friends on their mobile phone.

The report cites Microsoft UK mobility business manager Jason Langridge as saying the system should be live within six months, as part of Microsoft's wider strategy to connect its various online services.
Langridge explained that this is part of plans to better integrate Xbox Live with instant message system MSN Messenger. This will make it possible to send a message or alert from Xbox Live which will then instantly appear on a PC using MSN Messenger (or a smartphone using MSN Messenger as part of the Windows Mobile operating system).

Read More: gamasutra.com

cyberg4

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

Cool, but how about a keyboard/mouse combo for that.  Otherwise it would be way too awkward to use.

blackchild1101

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »

works for me

cja100

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(cyberg4 @ Dec 16 2005, 10:03 PM) *

Cool, but how about a keyboard/mouse combo for that.  Otherwise it would be way too awkward to use.

you can already use a usb keyboard with an xbox 360, i dont think you really need a mouse desperately for this.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »

I dont think its gonna be an actual message..........its just gonna be an alert of some sort, something that says "i challenge you" or some shit.......if it was really text messaging then it would go against what the 360 stands for (its a console not a pc).

For the millionth time.........keyboards are used only for text not gaming!!

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

I know we should be talking about something postive about this. But I'm having trouble with this Idea of all these add on's they keep thinking of ( M$ ). One thing I don't like is you can monitor and track everything someone is doing on XBL 360. So now your going to add tracking conversations between players. What if your at work testing XBL stuff. Your boss is going to see if you talked to you son or brother or mom or friend on MSN messenger while testing. what do you think your boss is going to say? I mean over here in the US we don't record our phone calls underless a message is played and its posted everywhere. but this is XBL they don't make these kinds of signs and if they do its not explaining the full information. Just a Generic message saying we record content. I just wonder is M$'s goal is to try to get all the people in the world addicted to all these addon's and software. that someday he is going to charge all this money and it be a requirement. I also secertly think he is trying to get the launch codes for all country's WMD piles and hold every country hostage to his software. but that would be very diffcult to do.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bizquick @ Dec 17 2005, 08:21 AM) *

I know we should be talking about something postive about this. But I'm having trouble with this Idea of all these add on's they keep thinking of ( M$ ). One thing I don't like is you can monitor and track everything someone is doing on XBL 360. So now your going to add tracking conversations between players. What if your at work testing XBL stuff. Your boss is going to see if you talked to you son or brother or mom or friend on MSN messenger while testing. what do you think your boss is going to say? I mean over here in the US we don't record our phone calls underless a message is played and its posted everywhere. but this is XBL they don't make these kinds of signs and if they do its not explaining the full information. Just a Generic message saying we record content. I just wonder is M$'s goal is to try to get all the people in the world addicted to all these addon's and software. that someday he is going to charge all this money and it be a requirement. I also secertly think he is trying to get the launch codes for all country's WMD piles and hold every country hostage to his software. but that would be very diffcult to do.

you do have a very good point, and i agree it to a certain extent.

but i belive the reason why m$ is devoloping all these add-ons is becasue people want it.

in this case, people are saying 'theres a messaging service on live, and one for the pc. m$ makes both of them, why cant you tie them in together?'

i would expect that there are more add-ons in the pipeline, and in the end, the consumer will win. if you dont liek a feature, then you do not have to use it.

and besides, with all the editing of code that m$ will have to do, there may be more back-doors into the software that can be found.

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(ferrari_rulz_02 @ Dec 17 2005, 09:05 AM) *

i would expect that there are more add-ons in the pipeline, and in the end, the consumer will win. if you dont liek a feature, then you do not have to use it.

thats very true, MS can add features that they think consumers will take advantage of. if you dont think you can fully utilize that feature then just wait un till another add-on is made!

Xavierking

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 06:22:00 AM »

hmmm... M$'s attempt to yet again take over the world.... *sigh* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xavierking @ Dec 18 2005, 12:22 AM) *

hmmm... M$'s attempt to yet again take over the world.... *sigh* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

how is it an attempt to take over the world? they are just adding new features to software that people want. they wouldnt spend teh money devolping these technologies if people wouldnt use them.

m$'s aim is not to take over the world. they make the best software that they can, and sell it so as many people as they can. they are a business, and thats what businesses do.

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

Aren't there already msn alerts for game invites? It would be silly if they got rid of them only to announce them again as a new feature. This will let you chat with PC MSN/Live/whatever it's called Messenger users?

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(ssj4android @ Dec 20 2005, 02:03 PM) *

This will let you chat with PC MSN/Live/whatever it's called Messenger users?

yep