xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trueskill  (Read 776 times)

bluvasa

• Archived User
Trueskill
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

IGN has an article about the new matchmaking system for 360 games.

It is supposed to be a better representation on a player's overall skill level.

IGN article

The actual mathematics behind it can be found below.  Copy and paste into the address bar.  Replace MS with "Micro soft", minus the space.

http://www.research....spx#Matchmaking

Shinamano

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

True Skill will be another reason why Xbox Live is the best Online experience you can get... beerchug.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »

that's pretty cool stuff

I particularly enjoyed the fact that MS actually lists the equations they're using for calculating ranks:
http://www.research....ll/Details.aspx

The way the journalist was going on and on about how the equations makes his head hurt... I was expecting something more substantial  rolleyes.gif Then again I guess thats why I'm an engineer and he plays video games for a living  tongue.gif

bluvasa

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

I saw this the other day and was impressed.

I hope more games use a system similar to Halo2 for their matchmaking, it is by far the easiest way to get into a game.

twisted, can you merge my topic from the 360 Live forum?  No one was responding over there anyways.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...dpost&p=3009743

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out...

Another thing that I found interesting is that the ranking system is not universal and external to the individual games. Where the current incarnation of XBL leaves the ranking up to the individual games. This is really great and benefits everyone, Gamers have a universal ranking system to refer to, and developers have less to program... it's Win Win  beerchug.gif

bluvasa

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

I agree, it sounds like this system is pretty robust.

One issue with Halo2's stat system was boosting, artificially raising your rank to show up on the leaderboards.

This system could easily get rid of this problem by assigning a high uncertainty to suspicious boosting behavior.

It is obvious that the ELO system doesn't work well with multiplayer games and TrueSkill may be the solution biggrin.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Trueskill
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

I'm definitely looking forward to it.. I don't play on XBL much and because of that whatever rank I had with a particular games dwindles to nothing during the periods that I don't play and I end up playing against people far below my skill level because of it.

Also I'll try a new genre of game soon after it's release and find myself in way over my head because while the game is new to everyone, there are lots of people familiar with the genre and should be ranked higher right off the bat.

Based on this as well as what MS has said at various conferences it soulds like they'll track your rank within individual games, genres, and overall...

Sounds great to me  beerchug.gif