xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help With Paint  (Read 141 times)

Steve-0

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

i painted my wired pad, i gave it 3 coats of black and 3 coats of gloss i left it for 3 days, i been playing graw for about 3 hours and the paint is all coming off, where did i go wrong? i never had that problem before.

taikwondoejoe

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

How did you prep the surface?

rootofallevil

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

DID YOU SAND IT?

staildonut

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

also, what kind of paint did you use?

and, how long did you wait between base and clearcoats?

Steve-0

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »

just to let you know im not a n00b, i wet sanded as per useual, t did a 1500 before laying down the first coat, and did the gloss after about an hour because i het set the black, i waited 45 mins between gloss and sanded with 2000 between coats, it was a textbook paint job, i just dont under stand why the paint kinda melted off while i was playing???

taikwondoejoe

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »

How long after you painted/clear coated did you play?

This post has been edited by taikwondoejoe: Mar 11 2006, 06:54 AM

Sloppy Fat Dump

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »

Here's the deal... any textbook is a GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  G        U     I      D     E

There isn't any book specified to anyone's exact conditions (unless you want to write one yourself).  You need to think about a few things which could have fucked up your paint job:

• Temperature
  • Humidity (did it rain that week?)
  • Thickness of each coat

A colder temperature = more time drying.  More time drying = even more time drying for thicker layers.

You may not be a "noob" at certain things but you need to admit you messed up somewhere.  It wasn't your mom, your dog, your paint, or I don't care what.

I'm guessing that somehow your first layer didn't dry properly which made it so that all layers put on top of it to not be entirley dry.  So then, you're left with a moist layer of shit all over your controller which looks good when you don't use it.  But, it peels like you said when you start using it.  Or, like my hockeystick, it rubs off all over your hands slowly.

Hope I helped (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)!

GSX

• Archived User
Help With Paint
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Steve-0 @ Mar 11 2006, 12:53 AM) *

just to let you know im not a n00b, i wet sanded as per useual, t did a 1500 before laying down the first coat, and did the gloss after about an hour because i het set the black, i waited 45 mins between gloss and sanded with 2000 between coats, it was a textbook paint job, i just dont under stand why the paint kinda melted off while i was playing???

So wait, you sand after 45 mins of dry time? If so i think that might be a problem, not to metion clearing too early. I usually wait like 24hrs before spraying clear, or wetsanding.

This post has been edited by GSX: Mar 11 2006, 08:52 AM