xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!  (Read 1829 times)

openxdkman

• Archived User
XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

Beside other aspects, inviting people to try to program their first 3D game in the simplest possible way is not bad, not bad at all. The more the funnier... So MS developers get my thanks for their efforts. But I will look at MS salesmen not the same way... I imagine the number of people paying the subscription and then regretting it. They could at least make a trial period.

webjeff

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »

I can't believe some people are saying this is a bad idea.  I have been homebrew developing on consoles for a long time.  I've always had to purchase a dev kits to get stuff to work, then they finally see us homebrew developers as a large enough group to market towards.  It's great!

PS3:
Is a limited open platform.  No access to RSX chip, only 256 MB of ram are accessible.  The RSX chip is crucial in any 3d game, so they are targeting the wrong people I think.

XBOX:
Limited game developer platform.  Limited only by managed language (C#).  That is not what I prefer, but this system is well capable of running a very well designed game utilizing the GPU in managed code just fine.  Managed code allows them to manage how the code gets run much better than they could have with C++.

In my mind this is monumental.  They did a great job, this is just a step and as always, if you don't want to develop a game on the xbox, then don't pay the money.  $100 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $10k for a dev kit.

Jeff.

PrismSub5

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(R-Dawggy Dawg @ Dec 11 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post

so how fast could one of the many expert C# programmers in X-S get emulators out in the homebrew community? cuz those right there is worth 100 dolla /year to me biggrin.gif

I can see it now... all the roms on the 360 harddrive.... (sploosh in pants)

Wouldn't it be better if you waited till the 360 have been hacked, that way you could give the emulator devs 100dollar  tongue.gif

jblade

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

What limitations in XNA are preventing someone from making a "homebrew" Media Center Application?

IE a "game" that would allow people to play whatever codec/file through the xbox.

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

Most xna games you will find on internet will crash, show a black screen, have a too small window or not respond to your favorite joypad. It's quite depressing at first...

I've explained how to fix these problems (but you need game source for that, not many give it away) in this same forum (to see the posts, just click on "XNA Game Studio Express Forum" link at top of this page, then see the post "Spacewar starter kit (patches)").

Have fun...

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(jblade @ Dec 13 2006, 12:34 PM) View Post

What limitations in XNA are preventing someone from making a "homebrew" Media Center Application?

IE a "game" that would allow people to play whatever codec/file through the xbox.

if you read the topic you'd have caught the fact that there is no ethernet support, yet, or dll support, yet. So there's no computer connectivity, and no way to play other codecs. so, building a media center application with XNA as it stands, is just a more time consuming (and probably worse) version of the dash we have right now.

Cole00

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »

xna is only really aimed at developers atm, to pay $100 just to play a homebrew game is utterly pointless (unles its a hell'uva good game  unsure.gif )

but not to worry! i remember them saying on zbuffer.com that they were discussing ways of sharing games; i believe that in the end we will have our own little marketplace where we choose the pricing for our own games... *touchwood*  sleep.gif

personally i have found xna very fun indeed; i have been using c# for over a year now so i quickly slipped into it and i have already made my first game, which i may post later.
comparing to directx; making a game is way way easier than ever, which is slightly annoying in one aspect as it feels like less of a challenge  sad.gif, but oh well, its still a great idea and i hope they improve it loads in the future!

..and cant wait for the next installment (ya know so we can use xbl smile.gif)

and p.s. ther is a storage function, so you can put gamesaves on the hdd... but could this mean that you could also overwrite official games gamesaves with ur own? unless the sandbox also surrounds that  dry.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]