xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My New Pc Doesn't Come With Backup Disks. What Can I Do?  (Read 797 times)

dschu012

• Archived User
My New Pc Doesn't Come With Backup Disks. What Can I Do?
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »

Can't you set restore points within windows. You shouldn't need any software to restore.

BlackWar

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »

I do know what you are talking about, and there *might* be some hope for you.

My dell came with no restore CD's, just the restore partition on the HD. Now, I dont know about your case, but dell allowed (NOTE: did, I dont know about now) for ONE free restore CD pack for you pc, after you registered your PC on their website and then requested the restore CD's. Yes, shipping for the CD's was free.

What I would do in your case is contact the PC manufacture and request the restore CD's in case of HD failure. If they do try to give you any excuses tell them you want the restore CD's for future reference for when the PC's warranty expires.

Another option would be to see if your PC has a "Restore CD/DVD creator" (or similar name). I had one HP PC that had such software, which would make 2 DVD disks (or 6 CD's  blink.gif ) which, when used in your PC, would re-image the HD back to factory.

A final option would be to get a copy of a program like Norton Ghost (or something similar) that makes a complete image of your PC's HD and burns it to bootable media. The one downfall of this option is that it makes an image of your HD's current state, meaning the more apps/games/programs you have installed at the time will be included in the image, making the image of the drive that much larger. This option is best used on a fresh HD install (or on a brand new PC like your case) so it can be restored back to as close to original as possible.

Also, restore points do work....to a point. There are viruses out there that not only infect your PC, but also your restore points, and if the HD does fail.....well, the restore point will also be pointless.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »

more information could also be helpful - what kind of computer you got? Dell recently stopped shipping recovery CDs in favor of a restore partition. some make you create your own via software pre-installed. depends what you have.  

you could also make your own with a product like norton ghost, there may be free alternatives but I can not think of any off the top of my head.

Most computers that do not come with restore discs often have a restore partition built onto the hard drive, allowing you to get back to the factory state at any time.