xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Developing Homebrew  (Read 418 times)

lei

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

Hi,

i am coding since a few years now  and was wondering how to develop applications for the 360.
To be more precise an application like XeXLoader.  I am running XBR.  I havent found very much concering dev.

I did some research and now i got some questions.

There is XNA Game Studio, and XBox360 SDK 7645.1.  

XNA Game Studio obviously is a Developing Environment like Visual C# Express.

1. Does Xbox360 SDK just contain the libraries needed?

2. Is an 360 Application Developer   (SNES360, XeXLoader) working with XNA Game Studio?

3.  Xbox360 is PPC...is there a cross compiling toolchain in XNA?

4. "It is important that you always have access to the Internet from the console and not just to your PC because XNA requires an Xbox Live connection on your console."

True? If yes...any workarounds?

5. Dev on Xbox360 with XBR/ without MS Licenes (99$) is possible?

6. Are there any howto get started   urls? Please post them.

thx so much  

lei

This post has been edited by lei: Jan 4 2010, 12:20 AM

mafiafan123

• Recovered User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »

XDK Consoles will only work. And the SDK Can be found online.

lei

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »

Ok i did some research. As we can run unsigned code...im sure there must be i way, to (ab)use jtagged consoles.

Sadly....my questions are not asked.

I did some research and actually all that is needed is MS Visual Studio and the Xbox SDK.

mafiafan123 you were absolutely wrong because the xex being cross compiled from within visual studio and with xbr i can run it:

The Xbox 360 uses a proprietary format for executable files known as XEX, and files of this type are identified by the extension .xex. The XEX file format is produced by the build process in Visual Studio, or by the linker. (The linker uses the utility ImageXEX to produce the final executable file.)

SDK contains some neat tools to create user interfaces (controls and effects), debugging tools and some detailed documentation.

Maybe i sould take a look at xbins maybe they got some tools to transform the console to a xdk for connectivity reasons from within sdk

there has to be a way...cause there is no technical limitation i think...

P.S: i have developed a few applications with GWT  and SWING, coded a few c programms and am working as a web developer since quite a few years now...i understand the basics as i studied computer science (i know that non studied people are often very good too or even much better)  i think its worth to help me with that topic since i got the feeling im not alone.

P.S2: those guys who already developed applications should share some documentation to get the homebrew scene back to life....getting started is always very helpful....even for most experienced programmers...which i am obviously not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)   i should be able to attain my goal.

This post has been edited by lei: Jan 4 2010, 11:14 AM

lei

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

Hi lei...sory for not helping you earlier.

Lemme answer your questions....

1. Does Xbox360 SDK just contain the libraries needed?

Answer: The SDK integrates Xbox360 Developement tools, linker and compiler into Visual Studio.

2. Is an 360 Application Developer (SNES360, XeXLoader) working with XNA Game Studio?

Answer: I think most if not all apps are developed with the IDE Visual Studio, be sure to use Visual Studio 2005 SP1  otherwise full installation and integration of SDK is not possible.

3. Xbox360 is PPC...is there a cross compiling toolchain in XNA?

Answer: Yes the XEX is produced by Visual Studio/SDK

4. "It is important that you always have access to the Internet from the console and not just to your PC because XNA requires an Xbox Live connection on your console."

Answer: No. Fuck XNA. You dont need that shit kid. You dont need Internet Access.

5. Dev on Xbox360 with XBR/ without MS Licenes (99$) is possible?

Answer: Yes. 100%

6. Are there any howto get started urls? Please post them

Answer: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...60&t=701228

That it....your welcome !

P.S: You look quite good today!

kittonkicker

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »

Thanks for putting in the initial leg work! I was also wondering the same.

I've been developing in c++ for about 3 years and have been a (PHP) web developer for almost a year now, so probably have about the same experience level as you... however I'm also wondering how exactly I get started with this.

I started disassembling a XeX file, but my experience is in x86 ASM... not PPC so it feels like I'm starting from scratch again >.>.

Luckily I recognised some kernel functions (NtOpenFile) which aren't alien to me so feel the process won't be horrible, it's just tough to know where to start. Obviously knowing what our restrictions are is a good place to start!

ddxcb

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »

we need to figure out how to crack the XNA launcher smile.gif

dstruktiv

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »

Have you got the XNA Studio connect Xbox 360 client? I actually have a few months left on my free student xna developer license but don't want to connect my box to live to download it. I can look into "cracking" it.

ddxcb

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

I have XNA launcher

ste030

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »

i can get hold of a version of this free with a free 12month trial because im a student if anyones interested i could give you it ....

djdafreund

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »

So, if i am understanding right, if you had access to the dev'p stuff, you could run homebrew stuff without getting banned from xbox live?

rulevoid

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(lei @ Jan 4 2010, 06:01 PM) View Post

6. Are there any howto get started urls? Please post them

Answer: http://forums.xbox-s...t...60&t=701228

This link puts me back to replying to this thread.

BladeWing

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »

Surely those of us with Jtagg'ed Xbox's can develope XeX's ?? I remember seeing a tool that does it over Network in the SoftWare section.

winstonterr

• Archived User
Developing Homebrew
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »

Hi,
I don't have a 360 and am not getting one, but I'd like to try out programs similar to XNA game studio. Are there any I can use for the PS3? If there are any older ones for the original Xbox or the PS2 then they'll do as well.