xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Community Games, As Low As 60 Cents? Probably Not ...  (Read 220 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox Community Games, As Low As 60 Cents? Probably Not ...
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 30 21:02 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From blog.wired.com:

Microsoft's launch next month of the "New Xbox Experience" is also bringing with it access to Community Games, and the home-brewed games could be even cheaper than originally expected.

In Joystiq's video preview of the Community Games section of the new service, we find out that of the three titles currently available in the preview build, multiplayer space shooter Net Rumble is priced at 50 Microsoft Points (around 60 cents).
This of course could simply be a quirk of the beta build of the New Xbox Experience, or it could mean cheaper games.

Update: When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is ... from gamasutra.com:

One thing that was notable is that the [Community] games -- which will retail from 200, 400, or 800 Microsoft points (US$2.50, $5, and $10), and which will all have timed demo versions -- seemed to be on par with many of the "professional" games on Xbox Live Arcade.

This is perhaps because some of the top titles were created by small groups of former industry professionals, or well-resourced, talented academic teams.

Full Story: blog.wired.com | gamasutra.com

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »

sounds good to me... Microsoft seems to be playing the right cards this time around.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »

I bought Net Rumble last night and it only cost me 50 MSP. Netters is also up at 50 and Culture is marked at 200.

I downloaded the trial of Netters and I wouldn't really call it a game. It seems to basically just be a magnetic board covered in fridge magnet letters which you drag and drop to create words/sentences. No game objective, just a board covered in letters and you do what you want.

I bought Net Rumble and that looks kinda fun although it's multiplayer and nobody else has been on when I played it. Just a basic 2d space shooter where you have to try and take out your opponents over Live. Net Rumble doesn't have any achievements and no game icon appeared in my gamercard after I'd played it which was a little disappointing. I think this is probably the same for all community games.

Culture is 200 MSP and looks like a much more substantial game. I haven't played it yet but from the screenshots and description it almost looks like a regular Arcade game.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

If anything XNA games should be more than Arcade games, because most Arcade games are simply not worth the money at all. At least with XNA games you get original "homebrew" content that is actually worth something rather than the game publisher studios pumping out the old classics simply to get a few $ in.

AcidPenguiN

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Oct 31 2008, 06:24 PM) *

If anything XNA games should be more than Arcade games, because most Arcade games are simply not worth the money at all. At least with XNA games you get original "homebrew" content that is actually worth something rather than the game publisher studios pumping out the old classics simply to get a few $ in.

woah woah woah WOAH

just because something is "homebrew" that doesn't make it good.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(AcidPenguiN @ Oct 31 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post

woah woah woah WOAH

just because something is "homebrew" that doesn't make it good.

right and just because releasing a 10-20 year old classic on Arcade makes it worth 800-1200MS points, that is my argument.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

Not every game is gonna be great or even good, but I am sure there will be a few awesome ones eventually.  I think most arcade games are terrible and I just cant get into them but I find geometry wars to be well worth it.

AcidPenguiN

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Oct 31 2008, 11:57 PM) View Post

right and just because releasing a 10-20 year old classic on Arcade makes it worth 800-1200MS points, that is my argument.

well you were saying that they should charge more than that because its homebrew. Also, I wasn't implying that XBLA games are worth that price. Also, there's plenty of games that aren't just copy pasta. . .

now that I've re-re-read your original post it looks like you meant to say specifically that most XBLA games should cost less than that, but got lost in the context of the sentance.