xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Schizoid - First Commercial XBLA Title Built with XNA Game Studio  (Read 216 times)

sabbath_dude

• Archived User

At 800MSP i think I'll pass.

bucko

• Recovered User
Schizoid - First Commercial XBLA Title Built with XNA Game Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

Yup homebrew games are never going to be the quality of studio games (sorry if that sounds negative but they don't have the testers, the devkits and everything else implementing) imho all XNA games should be free or 200-400 points.

xpsychobananax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 10 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post

Yup homebrew games are never going to be the quality of studio games (sorry if that sounds negative but they don't have the testers, the devkits and everything else implementing) imho all XNA games should be free or 200-400 points.

that is not exactly true...im sure if it wasn't worth what it was, M$ wouldn't bother putting it on xbla. not to mention it looks very well put together and enjoyable to play.

i agree it doesn't seem right to charge a full 800 msp for it, just because it wasn't made in a big studio. As far as it being made in a studio, yes it was, "torpex games". One of the guys who made this game helped create half life, spiderman 1&2, and Magic: the Gathering Online. The other helped create spiderman 1&2 as well as the original tony hawks pro skater, and magic candle for pc.

i think its unfair to say that the game isn't going to be nearly as good just because it wasn't made by a well known game deveolper.

You would be right to say that "most" homebrew games aren't going to be nearly as good as studio games, but i have seen some damn good brew games on dcemu not to mention tons made for pc.

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Jul 10 2008, 05:31 PM) View Post

What are you talking about?  You're making false assumptions about game quality based solely on the tools used to make it.   You haven't even tried the game yet.   They got published commercially, it's not homebrew.  

So they used a different set of tools to develop the game, that doesn't mean the game is of lesser quality then any other game built with the full SDK  nor does it mean that the people that made the game are any less competent as programmers or developers or testers.  Many of the people at Torpex Games are professionals that have been it for years.

I agree with you 100%

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

I was referring GENERRALY, I hadn't tried the game when I posted, didn't have the time, what I'm saying is XNA does not have FULL HARDWARE capability that GAME STUDIOS have. And game studios have a much better financial situation. Sure home-brew can make some awesome games, hell X-S Xbox 1 days proved that.

What I'm saying is MS is making money of this POS XNA toolset. It's nothing compared to the proper development environment that the main studios have and imho it is not fair. I would love to see the true costs going back to the XNA community.

I'm downloading the demo now to try it, I'm sure it's a good game, it's just a shame the money doesn't always go back to the developer.  

What are you talking about? You're making false assumptions about game quality based solely on the tools used to make it. You haven't even tried the game yet. They got published commercially, it's not homebrew.

So they used a different set of tools to develop the game, that doesn't mean the game is of lesser quality then any other game built with the full SDK nor does it mean that the people that made the game are any less competent as programmers or developers or testers. Many of the people at Torpex Games are professionals that have been it for years.

---

that is not exactly true...im sure if it wasn't worth what it was, M$ wouldn't bother putting it on xbla. not to mention it looks very well put together and enjoyable to play.

i agree it doesn't seem right to charge a full 800 msp for it, just because it wasn't made in a big studio. As far as it being made in a studio, yes it was, "torpex games". One of the guys who made this game helped create half life, spiderman 1&2, and Magic: the Gathering Online. The other helped create spiderman 1&2 as well as the original tony hawks pro skater, and magic candle for pc.

i think its unfair to say that the game isn't going to be nearly as good just because it wasn't made by a well known game deveolper.

You would be right to say that "most" homebrew games aren't going to be nearly as good as studio games, but i have seen some damn good brew games on dcemu not to mention tons made for pc.

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

If this is the game Im thinking of with the red blue cell things its actually pretty fun. Granted its no COD or Oblivion but of all the trial games my 360 downloaded recently (after ms announced removing the ability to buy older xbla titiles I set it to auto downloads) this is the only one I would probably buy. I think IGM or someone gave it a good review try it just take it for what it is and not what it isnt.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 10 2008, 07:35 PM) View Post

I was referring GENERRALY, I hadn't tried the game when I posted, didn't have the time, what I'm saying is XNA does not have FULL HARDWARE capability that GAME STUDIOS have. And game studios have a much better financial situation. Sure home-brew can make some awesome games, hell X-S Xbox 1 days proved that.

What I'm saying is MS is making money of this POS XNA toolset. It's nothing compared to the proper development environment that the main studios have and imho it is not fair. I would love to see the true costs going back to the XNA community.

I'm downloading the demo now to try it, I'm sure it's a good game, it's just a shame the money doesn't always go back to the developer.  
---

Sure, of course....Me,  xpsychobananax, Elitegamer360, and everyone else who read your first post sub-consciencely knew what you really meant when you originally said "homebrew games are never going to be the quality of studio games".  It's our mistake for commenting about what you said versus what you meant.   rolleyes.gif