xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft to Give Away Development Tools to Students  (Read 204 times)

Software2

• Archived User
Microsoft to Give Away Development Tools to Students
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »

They've been doing this for a long time. In addition to those softwares, they also give out XP Pro and Vista Business, in addition to to lesser known apps. It's actually a very nice system now. They used to charge you shipping for the discs, but now all of the programs can be downloaded in ISO format through the site.

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

this sucks, there are hardly any schools on the list so few ppl will be able to dl anything

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

yep.. here comes my free year of XNA!

funny not to see the best part in the news post, but from computerworld:

The students are also eligible for a free 12-month academic membership to the XNA Creators Club.

if your school is not on the list, they offer options through this page to get verified as a student (site seems slow atn)

in general the MSDN alliance has given me access to TONS of software i couldnt otherwise afford, server 03 enterprise, vista, Visio, you name it.. all except office, but thats only 60 bucks for students anyways.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

excellent program and brilliant idea, too bad i am so many years out of college, but i guess that means that i should be able to pay for all that software now though...thank goodness for OEM on newegg...

QUOTE(101499 @ Feb 19 2008, 02:41 PM) View Post

this sucks, there are hardly any schools on the list so few ppl will be able to dl anything

actually, if your school is not listed yet, there is an alternative way to verify student status that appears simple enough...

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

can you do it if your still in high school?

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »

as for eligibility from the faq:

What are the student eligibility requirements to download and use the software available through DreamSpark?

Pretty basic: to be eligible, all we ask is that you are a currently enrolled student attending an accredited university, college, junior college, community college, or a tertiary/higher education institution with digital student ID credentials (e.g. username and password) provided by your school, organization or another identity provider listed as a verification source on the DreamSpark Student Status Verification page.

We’re giving you the software for non-commercial use to support and advance your learning and skills through technical design, technology, math, science and engineering activities. For more information, please see the DreamSpark software license agreement.

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

Sucks it doesnt apply for high school students.....I've been really wanting to use XNA but dont want to pay sad.gif

rooter75

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »

"And in the third quarter, the software will be available to high school students as well, Microsoft said."

Patience young grasshopper it will come, it will come.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

just to let you guys know, all i had to do was submit my studentID and I was verified within 2 days as a student. My school was not on the list either.

setting up my 12 month free of XNA creator club now.