xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: GDC08: Mysterious shroud hides XNA secret  (Read 183 times)

fluffhead

• Archived User
GDC08: Mysterious shroud hides XNA secret
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

now open to  homebrew?  tongue.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

I'm guessing user generated content...

either that or completely open XNA distrobution through Xbox Live... Meaning I can develop something with my XNA license and people can download and play it who aren't developers. Since right now I have to send you my source code and you compile it through your XNA license if you have one.

...but yeah that would essentially be "now open to homebrew"

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

free XNA Creator's Club for Devs?

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(XanTium @ Feb 19 2008, 01:21 AM) View Post

free XNA Creator's Club for Devs?

that would be too sweet. its about the only way ill get involved at this point.. i dont have enough exp to do enough to pay for the license fee, but if it were free, i could at least play around in the environment and see whats what.

im already accustomed to visual studio, and from what ive seen, XNA is extremely similar.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Feb 19 2008, 02:01 AM) View Post

not exactly...

At present you can download XNA express, it includes some open license game examples that you can use as a starting point for your own games and with the basic tools you should be able to create a basic XBLA style game that you can run in Windows (not a 360).

If you want to run your game on the 360 you have to subscribe to the XNA creators club ($99 a year) and you'll get a special tab in the dashboard for running your XNA studio projects. You can also send your projects to others in the creators club so that they can run it on their consoles.

If you want to develop full version games you'll need the full version of XNA studio (the license for which is a few grand). I'm not clear as to whether or not you need a development box or if you can run it on regular Xbox 360 hardware though the creators club, I'm guess that the latter is technically possible but not actually allowed.

What it sounds like is that they're giving away the full boat XNA license to students...

What we want is a free subscription to XNA creators club for everyone + a distribution model to send our programs to non-programmers who can just run them as opposed to being limited manual PC based distribution only to others in the XNA creators club.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 18 2008, 11:05 PM) View Post

I'm guessing user generated content...

either that or completely open XNA distrobution through Xbox Live... Meaning I can develop something with my XNA license and people can download and play it who aren't developers. Since right now I have to send you my source code and you compile it through your XNA license if you have one.

...but yeah that would essentially be "now open to homebrew"

now that would be very nice and open up the amount of "testers" for various XNA products thus speeding up bug testing as well...oh, yeah, and it would be very fun to say the least for everyone involved...