xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gamasutra: XNA In-Depth with Microsoft's Dave Mitchell  (Read 382 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Gamasutra: XNA In-Depth with Microsoft's Dave Mitchell
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 15 23:59 EST

From gamasutra.com:

For today's Gamasutra feature we talk with Microsoft's Dave Mitchell, who reveals extensive details on the recently-launched XNA Studio Express and Creators Club, including IP rights, engine specifics, and Xbox 360 universal sharing plans, in this exclusive Gamasutra interview.

"We want to bake in a business model that allows the community of game developers to realize some revenue. If your game is able to garner millions of people downloading and playing it and enjoying the game, our fundamental belief and design philosophy of "YouTube for Games" is going to be building out a revenue share type of model where if millions of people are playing, you should be able to drive into work or school or wherever you might be going in a brand new shiny Ferrari, or getting enough funds to invest in paying back college tuition, or setting up college tuition for your children, if that's the case. But we really want to build it in such a way where there is a revenue payout scheme that's taken into consideration, and we make it more inclusive of the creators who are adding value back into that community."

And though plans for how these community created games might be distributed will continue to evolve and solidify over the coming year.

Full Story/Interview: gamasutra.com

pdottz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »

this whole XNA studio thing reminds of early '99/2000 when the andromeda game system was announced.

it was supposed to be a linux based game console that boosted help from the community for game and such,

of course it turned into nothing but vaporware without the money to make it a reality. MS has the scratch to do it. If done right we could probably see lots of cool XLA games come around. I myself have so much artwork/storyline and game setups that I have created over the years; but sadly no talent when it comes to programming.

fyi: i would LOVE to see a 3d bowman clone. for anyone wondering, goto any search engine and type bowman.swf

Twister22

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(pdottz @ Dec 16 2006, 05:52 AM) View Post

fyi: i would LOVE to see a 3d bowman clone. for anyone wondering, goto any search engine and type bowman.swf

Damm now you made me use 30min on bowman smile.gif

youloseagain

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »

That game reminds me of Scorched Earth / Tank Wars games.

I remember some of the AI names Mr Stupid, Lobber. Were wayyy fun in multiplayer mode. Ran under Dos from back in the day. I would Love to see an updated port of those games to xbox live arcade. That would be awesome esp with multiplayer on live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth Scorched Earth

http://www.flashback-aw.net/games.php?GameID=27 Tank Wars

This post has been edited by youloseagain: Dec 16 2006, 11:20 AM

MeanMF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

There's still no network support in XNA... Meh.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

dose anyone know where i can get some good information on how to start building games? i have always wanted to make a MMORPG

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »

No network support in xna->xbox360 but there is network support in xp+xna (using System.Net)

mister.shine

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

Does XNA let you access the dvd drive? Could XBMC be ported over so i could play avi/mpeg files burnt to disc? Also we need a port of the minigame 'Death Tank Zwei' from the Sega Saturn version of Duke 3D.