xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xexmenu Broken With 14699 Dash Update  (Read 395 times)

krizalid

• Archived User
Xexmenu Broken With 14699 Dash Update
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »

Your issue has nothing to do with XexMenu, dash 14699, dashlaunch or anything of what you might think or want to reffer to...

simply not.

I have done many RGH and JTAG hacks and upgrades of dash of course, and this doesn't happen.

EDIT: I just remembered something with xeBuild or latest dashlaunch... not too sure, but I think it mentions something about game "default.xex" modified signature failing to boot properly or something like that.

Maybe your games ripped with xexmenu, extracted as data of course, have their "default.xex" modified with manual updates or XexTool patches or something... i don´t see other way for the games too fail.

f0xrolder

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(krizalid @ Dec 31 2011, 02:47 PM) View Post

Your issue has nothing to do with XexMenu, dash 14699, dashlaunch or anything of what you might think or want to reffer to...

simply not.
I have done many RGH and JTAG hacks and upgrades of dash of course, and this doesn't happen.
EDIT: I just remembered something with xeBuild or latest dashlaunch... not too sure, but I think it mentions something about game "default.xex" modified signature failing to boot properly or something like that.

Maybe your games ripped with xexmenu, extracted as data of course, have their "default.xex" modified with manual updates or XexTool patches or something... i don´t see other way for the games too fail.

Why I thought I'd ask before re ripping games to usb, as it's going to take x amount of time to rip and y amount of time to transfer between usb to usb at fat32 transfer speeds. I did browse the dashlaunch and freeboot changelogs and didn't find a reference to default.xex modified signatures failing.

Thought perhaps it was to do with the new dash update and xexmenu rips being incompatible. Something that did catch my eye was this from the dashlaunch readme

"   important note about the new keyswitcher
================================================================================
   Retail encrypted xex that are not validly signed will not load due
   to the way the new keyswitcher works.

Whether thats related or not I haven't a clue?

Yes xexmenu does patch the default.xex and modifies it in some way, so it wouldn't be validly singed any more. Well thats my theory. ah well

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »

I didn't know nor recall xexmenu having a "default.xex" patching... I never used it much, I go with FSD when it comes to using an alternate dash.

I personally prefer ISO2GOD as they will take a lot less time to create and FTP through network.

Not sure if they load fine from USB... I haven't done that.

Good luck.

bidrug

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(krizalid @ Dec 31 2011, 01:31 AM) View Post

I didn't know nor recall xexmenu having a "default.xex" patching... I never used it much, I go with FSD when it comes to using an alternate dash.

I personally prefer ISO2GOD as they will take a lot less time to create and FTP through network.
Not sure if they load fine from USB... I haven't done that.
Good luck.

there was an option to automatically patch xex files... i think old XBR days are to blame.

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »

It might have something to do with that keyswitcher effect.

Look at the changelog between 2.23 and 2.24 and try to determine what the issue is, that could help understand the situation better.

Glad you got it solved  jester.gif

darknight01

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »

Good post. I appreciate it! Thanks for guiding.

f0xrolder

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »

Ok flashed 13604 using freeBOOT_ToolBox_Maker2.8 from bestpig and im assuming it incorporates dashlaunch 2.25 because when i tried to manually install 2.25 said was current and wouldn't let me overwrite patches.

And im back to games not loading again that were ripped using old xexmenu dvd copy option.

For example Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age Origins Awakening had been backed up via xexmenu and would load fine on 13599 dashlaunch 2.23. I tested after reflashing 13604 and both titles won't load.

Deleted and re ripped Dragon age origins/awakening via fsd2 and it works without a problem.

Now the fun begins, working out which of my games are backed up via xexmenu and fsd2 deleting the xexmenu ones and reripping via fsd2. 2 down only 30 odd to go.....ffs  sad.gif

bidrug

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(f0xrolder @ Jan 11 2012, 02:59 PM) View Post

Ok flashed 13604 using freeBOOT_ToolBox_Maker2.8 from bestpig and im assuming it incorporates dashlaunch 2.25 because when i tried to manually install 2.25 said was current and wouldn't let me overwrite patches.

And im back to games not loading again that were ripped using old xexmenu dvd copy option.

For example Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age Origins Awakening had been backed up via xexmenu and would load fine on 13599 dashlaunch 2.23. I tested after reflashing 13604 and both titles won't load.

Deleted and re ripped Dragon age origins/awakening via fsd2 and it works without a problem.

Now the fun begins, working out which of my games are backed up via xexmenu and fsd2 deleting the xexmenu ones and reripping via fsd2. 2 down only 30 odd to go.....ffs  sad.gif

have you checked if your xexmenu patched the xec files? that's the only reason I can think off...

bidrug

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

Freeboot's ability to load patched xexs is not needed anymore, so if you had some patched games, is not freeboot's nor bestpig's fault, is just the game has a modified xex which is no longer recognized, I don't know for sure, but that's what I recall, maybe xexmenu has it's own code to launch those games

f0xrolder

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion krizalid fixed the problem. couldnt load the disc on my pc as my dvd drive doesnt support xbc and won't allow me to load game discs, so just deleted the default.xex from the game dir and copied a fresh default.xex straight from the disc through fsd2 which took all of two secs and now the game loads again.