xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: XNA: What's Free and What Isn't?  (Read 807 times)

forthex

• Archived User
XNA: What's Free and What Isn't?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

You guys do know that the programing language in XNA is C#, not C++ or C. (For those of you don't know C# is Microsoft crappier, more restricted version of C and C++ combined). The development companies get the REAL 360 development kit, which lets them write in C++. So that means that because M$ can control your code and it's libraries, they can control how greatly you can access the 360's resources.

This means:

- Limited Hard disk capabilities (probably can only store savegames in a certain predisposed directory)
- Limited everything else (CPU, RAM, hardware flashing, ubs devices, etc.)

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(forthex @ Dec 26 2006, 01:49 AM) View Post

C# is Microsoft crappier, more restricted version of C and C++ combined

I worship you for understanding that it is very complicated to create even the most basic of code with C# and to do it on your Xbox 360.... now thats where the guy who made the NES Emulator for the 360 would come in handy since I'm guessing he knows alot of the code and is familiar with it as most of us arent, lol...

I'd proboly buy the thing for a year if I knew even where to begin... if M$ had a nice little program which had a preview window and a few helpers with it and just let you create buttons and such on something like a paint-edit kindof gui then I would definately buy the thing... a good example of what I'm talking about is the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 program. If they had that kindof user-friendly environment then I'd definately buy this thing! Anybody else?

slycrel

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrPepperFan15 @ Jan 30 2007, 03:54 AM) *

I worship you for understanding that it is very complicated to create even the most basic of code with C# and to do it on your Xbox 360.... now thats where the guy who made the NES Emulator for the 360 would come in handy since I'm guessing he knows alot of the code and is familiar with it as most of us arent, lol...

I'd proboly buy the thing for a year if I knew even where to begin... if M$ had a nice little program which had a preview window and a few helpers with it and just let you create buttons and such on something like a paint-edit kindof gui then I would definately buy the thing... a good example of what I'm talking about is the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 program. If they had that kindof user-friendly environment then I'd definately buy this thing! Anybody else?

Not that I've gone and done it, but I've been looking into getting a subscription to play with things.  There are a number of XNA tutorials out there to help you get started, check ziggyware.com out as well as xbox360homebrew.com for examples.  The XNA forums also have some links ot tutorials and getting started material.

big_xbox_n00bie

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(forthex @ Dec 26 2006, 01:18 AM) View Post

You guys do know that the programing language in XNA is C#, not C++ or C. (For those of you don't know C# is Microsoft crappier, more restricted version of C and C++ combined). The development companies get the REAL 360 development kit, which lets them write in C++. So that means that because M$ can control your code and it's libraries, they can control how greatly you can access the 360's resources.
This means:

- Limited Hard disk capabilities (probably can only store savegames in a certain predisposed directory)
- Limited everything else (CPU, RAM, hardware flashing, ubs devices, etc.)

C# is also a lot slower and has a syntax more like Java. Even on fast pcs people complain that sharp has this crappy flickery feel to the apps
Pages: 1 2 [3]