xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: XNA: What's Free and What Isn't?  (Read 808 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
XNA: What's Free and What Isn't?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »

Afaik that is wrong, only you can run your own 360 content when you pay the $99 and only other people who are in the creators club (they have to pay $99 as well each year) can run code by others that is only signed by m$. Thats my understanding anyway.

QUOTE(X-Clusion @ Aug 20 2006, 02:16 PM) *

Isn't this like creating a giant hole???

If you'ld pay 99 bucks, you'll have to download "the custum runtime" which converts your 360 in a dev kit able to run unsigned code...

Big hole to start with, if everybody pays the 99 bucks for the year (+ the runtime) (or the 49 bucks 4 monthly incl runtime) and then unhooks to any update, and some people who have homebrew that works, distribute on the net and voila, homebrew on every 360 which owner payed 49 bucks for the XNA instead of the 50 bucks for a modchip??

My 360 cents

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 20 2006, 08:20 AM) View Post

...all the crazy programmers/coders/writers/modchip/exploit people will get this... learn crazy amounts from it.. and be able to do something for the rest of us...

my sentiments exactly...this could be great news...wait and see

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »

I have a feeling that this special 360 runtime only allows very generic access to the already virtualized 360 core and I'm sure any attempts to break that cycle of life in that runtime will bring the hyper visor to life just my 360 cents.

Do you honestly think MS is going to give the homebrew world kernal type access? Anyone?

PC_Arcade

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:00 AM »

mmm, the PS3 isn't looking so expensive now TBH (and I'm a LONG way from a sony fanboy)

Lets compare the two for a second (and assume you have an interest in homebrew) :

PS3 - 20gb (so as to keep the comparison fair) - $499
ps3 Total = $499

Xbox 360 Premium - $399
Now add the HD-DVD at it's projected cost - $199
Add to that the cost of running homebrew (which allegedly comes as std with the PS3) - $99 (although ongoing i'll add it for 1 year)
xbox360 Total = $697(!)

Even if you go up to the 60gb ps3 model the 360 is ~$100 more expensive!
IF all that proves to be true it's a HUGE blow for MS's ability to compete on price, even the console + HD-DVD price is higher than the ps3 and that will hand Sony this generation as well  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

Also the ps3 is coming with wifi as std (another $100 accessory on the 360) - it's looking more and more like the ps3 will be a fairly sensible purchase, although I won't be buying one as there's no way on earth I trust Sony not to screw me over when thay have access to my network (and net connection) given their recent dodgy dealings.

This post has been edited by PC_Arcade: Aug 21 2006, 08:38 AM

Fantmx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 06:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(PC_Arcade @ Aug 21 2006, 08:01 AM) View Post

mmm, the PS3 isn't looking so expensive now TBH (and I'm a LONG way from a sony fanboy)

Lets compare the two for a second (and assume you have an interest in homebrew) :

PS3 - 20gb (so as to keep the comparison fair) - $499
ps3 Total = $499

Xbox 360 Premium - $399
Now add the HD-DVD at it's projected cost - $199
Add to that the cost of running homebrew (which allegedly comes as std with the PS3) - $99 (although ongoing i'll add it for 1 year)
xbox360 Total = $697(!)

Even if you go up to the 60gb ps3 model the 360 is ~$100 more expensive!
IF all that proves to be true it's a HUGE blow for MS's ability to compete on price, even the console + HD-DVD price is higher than the ps3 and that will hand Sony this generation as well  grr.gif

Also the ps3 is coming with wifi as std (another $100 accessory on the 360) - it's looking more and more like the ps3 will be a fairly sensible purchase, although I won't be buying one as there's no way on earth I trust Sony not to screw me over when thay have access to my network (and net connection) given their recent dodgy dealings.
What does the HD-DVD drive have to do with this?  Most of the people that buy the 360 will have no interest in this, so you can take that $99 off the price as well.

PC_Arcade

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

OK, so they're the same price, but the PS3 comes with HD disk (bluray) playback.

Killa Kastro

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

They may be the same price but the includes HD playback, HDMI output and a 60GB HD

This post has been edited by Killa Kastro: Aug 21 2006, 03:07 PM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

Yea but you dont HAVE to buy any of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

By the way, You will never get the same quality of services you get from Sony that you get from MS. If you have a PSP you will know what I mean.

This post has been edited by incognegro: Aug 21 2006, 03:09 PM

Killa Kastro

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Aug 21 2006, 09:38 AM) *

By the way, You will never get the same services you get from Sony that you get from MS cause sony. If you have a PSP you will know what I mean.

?

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Killa Kastro @ Aug 21 2006, 02:40 PM) *

?

Yea I got too lazy to finish typing that....just forget that I even posted anything

This post has been edited by incognegro: Aug 21 2006, 07:45 PM

Math1

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »

There is no way this will be allowed out if it allows general homebrew through something as simple as disconnecting so you don't get updated. This is MS, not a bunch of kindergarden kids. I would imagine that:
1) The runtime will be very heavily sandboxed so it plays nice with the system and any attempt to get aroudn that will break
2) The runtime won't run anything unless you are logged into Live
3) You will be free to send your source out to the world, but no one will be able to run it without a licensed runtime which is (see #2) connected to Live.

This is a hobbiest toy, and an educaitonal tool, not a solution for serious coders looking to make full applications. But seriously, how many of you (myself included) are at that level? Personally, this sounds like it will do exactly what I want, which is for me to make interesting little applications for me to play with.

I think this represents a pretty cool attempt on MS' part to get console programming out there more widely without compromising their need for a secure system.

BigNamek

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 03:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Math1 @ Aug 21 2006, 05:28 PM) View Post

There is no way this will be allowed out if it allows general homebrew through something as simple as disconnecting so you don't get updated. This is MS, not a bunch of kindergarden kids. I would imagine that:
1) The runtime will be very heavily sandboxed so it plays nice with the system and any attempt to get aroudn that will break
2) The runtime won't run anything unless you are logged into Live
3) You will be free to send your source out to the world, but no one will be able to run it without a licensed runtime which is (see #2) connected to Live.

This is a hobbiest toy, and an educaitonal tool, not a solution for serious coders looking to make full applications. But seriously, how many of you (myself included) are at that level? Personally, this sounds like it will do exactly what I want, which is for me to make interesting little applications for me to play with.

I think this represents a pretty cool attempt on MS' part to get console programming out there more widely without compromising their need for a secure system.

Yeah, that's what I see out of it, as well. I'm currently going to be helping out with a computer club at my old middle college (which is just a high school is college classes) and besides the computer stuff (putting PCs together, installing OSes and learning UNIX-based OSes, networking, web authoring and programming, console modding, etc.) I would definitely like to learn this and possibly teach the members.

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »

Hmm, if Sony are quite happy to create a homebrew compliant console (supposedly  smile.gif ) , why arent M$?  blink.gif

Maybe the "Launchpad" will be far more open than we think (M$ trying to raise the bar to sony's claims).

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

God, I pray it doesn't get hacked. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with open source and the Xbox 360 being used for homebrew goodness. I just would like it seen done "right" this time around- with a homebrew devkit, not some hacked/warez'd copy of M$'s devkit.
Sucks that it costs $100 a year just to PLAY what other people make. Perhaps M$ should offer a subscription plan for, like, $10 a year that only allows you to play XNA binaries? that'd be rad.
[/rant]

jwin767

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 03:00:00 AM »

Hmm, if Sony are quite happy to create a homebrew compliant console (supposedly  smile.gif ) , why arent M$?  blink.gif

Maybe the "Launchpad" will be far more open than we think (M$ trying to raise the bar to sony's claims).

Sony took the lazy mans approach to homebrew...... Sony "We allow home brew on our console, we support our community... woops i mean flock. so we allow our sheep to use a OS that we havent made so we dont have to bother with updates and patches.

QUOTE(Large Dopant white @ Dec 19 2006, 12:43 AM) View Post
Sucks that it costs $100 a year just to PLAY what other people make. Perhaps M$ should offer a subscription plan for, like, $10 a year that only allows you to play XNA binaries? that'd be rad.
[/rant]

The $100 a year is for the creators club access which allows you to MAKE/EDIT/PLAY XNA games not just play them........ and that subscription would be pretty darn funky as i am not a hard a$$ coder but i do dip my hand in every so often and would like just to try peoples creations....
Pages: 1 [2] 3