xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: XNA Game Studio Express FAQ - More Details About Indie Dev. on Xbox360  (Read 614 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
XNA Game Studio Express FAQ - More Details About Indie Dev. on Xbox360
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

This is fantasic, I'm getting excited  smile.gif  Me and friend of mine from work already have the wheels turning for an awesome XBLA type game  smile.gif

Anyone who complains about the price is an idiot, console development has been untouchable to garage devs since the 2600 days, and getting worse with every generation. The buy in for most consoles today is in the 100K range. Something that costs a piddaly $99 a year is a god-send to anyone SERIOUSLY interested in trying their hand at making a console application. The point of this is NOT to distribute these homebrew apps to the masses or to somehow help us with creating an exploit, it's to give indy game developers something where they can test their skills in a console environment.

As someone who knows a few indy game devleopers, even buying a cheap game engine will cost you a few grand, if you can't do graphics and need to commision that work, that will be a few more grand... $99 a year for what's essentially a software license is chump change even in the indy world. The only people who the $99 is too much are people who are only really interested in running stuff that other people made and not really interested in running anything themselves. This is a development environment pure and simple, it's not ment for joe gamer. Chances are if you're an indy gamer using the 360 as a testbed, you're not spending money on games and accessories so the $99 covers that cost in the eyes of MS. It's more then reasonable IMO.

For the most part you'll want to get your game (or application) up and running on the PC for starters and once you've got most of the bugs worked out buy your Xbox 360 license and make sure it works in that space as well.

scienide

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ Aug 14 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

Wow, this is really amusing, expecially the "they will do a XBMC with it"... awesome.
If you're going to throw away some money better stick with shockwave flash, at least is portable.
Real performances on gaming, multimedia application or whatever are definitely not available with this crappy SDK.

Only real programmers with a real SDK that can squeeze something from a X360...

Not really... ok it's very well needed. But u are forgetting about the whole graphikal and 3d part. This is a whole other thing, and most programmers wouldnt even know how to draw a tree ...

The screenshots shown showed some kinda of mayjong kinda game. If u can create games like that, but than with network code, its a good start. Imagine being able to get your own game up on XBLA eventually. But i doubt that will be possible for a long long long time...

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 14 2006, 02:59 PM) View Post

This is fantasic, I'm getting excited  smile.gif  Me and friend of mine from work already have the wheels turning for an awesome XBLA type game  smile.gif

Anyone who complains about the price is an idiot, console development has been untouchable to garage devs since the 2600 days, and getting worse with every generation. The buy in for most consoles today is in the 100K range. Something that costs a piddaly $99 a year is a god-send to anyone SERIOUSLY interested in trying their hand at making a console application. The point of this is NOT to distribute these homebrew apps to the masses or to somehow help us with creating an exploit, it's to give indy game developers something where they can test their skills in a console environment.

As someone who knows a few indy game devleopers, even buying a cheap game engine will cost you a few grand, if you can't do graphics and need to commision that work, that will be a few more grand... $99 a year for what's essentially a software license is chump change even in the indy world. The only people who the $99 is too much are people who are only really interested in running stuff that other people made and not really interested in running anything themselves. This is a development environment pure and simple, it's not ment for joe gamer. Chances are if you're an indy gamer using the 360 as a testbed, you're not spending money on games and accessories so the $99 covers that cost in the eyes of MS. It's more then reasonable IMO.

For the most part you'll want to get your game (or application) up and running on the PC for starters and once you've got most of the bugs worked out buy your Xbox 360 license and make sure it works in that space as well.

I am quoting this post by "twistedsymphony" because it is worth re-reading as he describes perfectly MS's purpose in releasing these XNA development tools...even though we will be continued to be plagued by those kids asking if they have to pay $99 a year to have homebrew to "mod" their 360...I wish I knew more about coding, these tools could be fun...however it has been too many years since I was doing any coding, and then it was mostly in FORTRAN...

Jothie

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(bcforn64 @ Aug 14 2006, 11:23 AM) View Post

Love everyone's Optimism, am I the only one who caught this?:
An official, maybe $20 version of Xbox Media Center in the market place would kick ass. With enough demand, maybe MS will bow to the mod scene and take care of the legalities of licensing.

I hope so.
The only reason I haven't bought a 360 yet is because it(currently)only streams mpeg2 and Window Media file crap.  This is the age of avi files.  Who's bright idea was it to only let certain video files(ones that are pretty much non standard) to stream?  They lost 500 bucks over that decision with me.  

I converted all my favorite movies to high-res xvid.  I'll be damned if I spend 6 months turning them into WMV.  The day an XBMC for 360 is out is the day I'll buy one.  Not a second before.

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

I'm excited.  It seems like this is the MS solution to Bill Gate's homebrew experience posted a few months ago.

OUberLord

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »

What I'm wondering is if this opens up the door to emulation.  If the source code is dirtributed directly between people with the membership that means that, within the bounds of the framework, you should be able to make anything you want.  You'd never see them on the Creators Club Live download section of course, but does anyone know of a reason why this shouldn't be possible?

I mean, $100 a year to be able to run homebrew, emulation, and design my own games if I wish on my 360?  Sold.
Pages: 1 [2]