xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Microsoft Invites the World to Create Its Own Xbox 360 Games  (Read 1636 times)

ZoNicONE

• Archived User
Microsoft Invites the World to Create Its Own Xbox 360 Games
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(burzum @ Aug 14 2006, 08:50 AM) View Post

Question is:

To play homebrew game do I need to pay 99$/year or this is just a tax one have to pay to develop games?

For the $99 you can download a program from XBox Live that turns your XBox 360 into something like a "Beginner's Debug XBox 360", so you can run unsigned code streamed from a PC with XNA on it.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for the program to get finished, approved by MS and put up on XBox Live for end users.

At least that's how Boris Schneider-Johne (the German equivalent to Major Nelson) put it in his blog.

[EDIT]
This answers most of the questions:
http://msdn.MS.com/directx/xna/faq/

xmos

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 02:09:00 AM »

will you be able to add audio/video libraries?
will you be able to use SMB or ftp to get your audio/video to your 360?
if not then nothing like xbmc is possible with this....

Seems that if you don't have the XNA software (99 bucks or 'the usual channels') you can only get M$ verified (signed) apps. From what i understand the XNA software doesn't sign anything (you can submit it to M$ for that). But apparently you can run unsigned stuff using XNA so might be interesting to see what it can be used for apart from what M$ intended.

gonkle

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 02:18:00 AM »

Q: Isn’t managed code in the XNA Framework interpreted and therefore slow?
A: No, it is not interpreted. The IL is just-in-time (JIT) compiled into native code when it is initially loaded by a process, prior to execution. This allows hardware-specific optimizations unique to the PC and Xbox 360 architectures.

sounds like a sandbox, like expected

Ravo5002

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »

Q: How exactly can I share my 360 game to other 360 users? Will my game only be available to people with the XNA “Creators Club” subscription? Will it be available to all 360 users that have an Xbox Live account?
A: There is currently no supported way to share binaries on the Xbox 360. Currently, there are four requirements that must be met in order to share a game targeting Xbox 360 which is developed with XNA Game Studio Express.

1. The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
   2. The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
   3. The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
   4. The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

So only homebrew for 99$ a year or 49$ for 4 months.

Q: Can I create non-gaming applications (such as a Media Center/Player) with XNA Game Studio Express?
A: On Windows this is possible, but the initial release on Xbox 360 is tuned to writing games. This is an area we are actively looking to the community for feedback on the types of applications they want to write for their Xbox 360.  

No XBMC360...

bottom line, have fun with mariowar 360 (a game which i thought was kinda cool though!)

Also:

Q: Isn’t managed code in the XNA Framework interpreted and therefore slow?
A: No, it is not interpreted. The IL is just-in-time (JIT) compiled into native code when it is initially loaded by a process, prior to execution. This allows hardware-specific optimizations unique to the PC and Xbox 360 architectures.

Dont get your hopes up for anything "illegal" or something what MS not wants, since they will be checking every line of code before executing it.

Source: http://msdn.MS.com/directx/xna/faq/

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »

This basically says to me that you can run code on your 360 that hasn't been seen let alone signed by MS if you pay them $1.90 per week.
How does it say that? First thing that would get developed would be a linux for the 360. Then it's all over.
Hell we've all seen the pics and video of Avalaunch running on a debug xbox. There's no way M$ would let that slide.

More then likely you'll have to pay to get your project signed for use on the 360. This would negate people sending in their project every 2 days to be checked. Which would suck for dev purposes. But I thought the software to dev was free, but to test it you have to pay the membership fees

The REAL question I'd like to know is if you dev the game using this software, and it becomes a real hit, are you locked into a contract making it an xbox 360 only title?? I could see them putting that some where in the middle of the contract. If that's the case alot of people would be turned off by that prospect. Hell they could even claim the rights to the game and ideas behind it if you don't read it carefully enough.

Hopefully this info gets updated as often as the firmware hacks.

circusmonki

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »

At least MS has finally let a good idea out. but thats said i think this is going to be very restrictive, but nevertheless pretty damn good.

If it isnt much, the least is could do is give some good modders another doorway into something fantastic.

I give a thumb up to MS for finally recognising the modding community in a positive light.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »

This is huge news! Its gonna open this up so much more and Im sure anyone would gladly pay 99 a year for an opportunity like this! Its gonna open up the homebrew scene and everything will be awesome, I can't wait to give it a go!

But it makes me upset that I've stopped working on my Certificate 3 in Software Programming. It would have been all about this stuff sad.gif I've stopped doing it cos its so ard to get motivated. Maybe i'll try an XNA specific course if they come out here in australia.

KILLplaystation

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »

its too limiting. i'll pay the $99 for it all but im still going to be waiting for real homebrew capabilities

tigermain

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »

Its great that MS are making this step (Im sure its partly to clamp down on true homebrew devs) but the biggest draw back I see (its not just about the money) is the fact that you will always have to start the homebrew apps from a PC.

Hopefully this will change so you can copy the project to the 360 disk and run it from there otherwise it will just become a PITA. I'll have to fire up my laptop everytime I want to run a homebrew game or app.

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »

It's great M$ is allowing people to develop games.

The only bad part is for us homebrew people.  We all love XBMC.

It will never happen like this for XBMC.  Even if M$ releases the tools to create it - don't forget each executable must be signed by MS.

In other words, you could create XBMC360 completely - but then M$ will never sign your exectuable, and it will never run on a console.

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

ohmy.gif

^^ I beat xboxexpert this time.

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(thegame_evolution @ Aug 14 2006, 04:41 AM) View Post

thats alot of crap to read

yes

QUOTE(Albert Street @ Aug 14 2006, 04:44 AM) View Post

COOL!

yes

QUOTE(BKbeaner @ Aug 14 2006, 05:10 AM) View Post

blink.gif blink.gif  blink.gif AMAZERING!

yes

QUOTE(mrdan @ Aug 14 2006, 06:00 AM) View Post

I will definitely pay $99/yr for homebrew.

pwn3d

QUOTE(cmart* @ Aug 14 2006, 06:42 AM) View Post

freaken amazing blink.gif ....i cant wait for this

yes smile.gif smile.gif

-x-

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

I am sure that one of the things that was discussed was also to combat the Wii's virtual console. If they can make emulators to play Nintendo games then they have just defeated the Wii's virtual console and did nothing themselves. They can wipe their hands off and said that they did not create the emulator it was a home-brew.

Nintendo can not sue MS since it is not an official MS product. Only the roms are illegal so distribution of the emulator itself would be easily distributed. Soon anyone will plat SNES, NES, Genesis, etc. games on the 360 and word of mouth will be passed on defeating the Wii's virtual console idea.

Winner = MS with no liability.

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(Babau @ Aug 14 2006, 01:34 PM) View Post

You don't have to send it by MS certified channels and you don't have to get them to sign it before you run it on an xbox. Yes, you need to compile and initialise it from a PC and yes, it's looking like the coding options/language are very limited, but the fact remains.

How will the 360 run unsigned code?

Babau

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(bonevichio @ Aug 14 2006, 10:46 PM) View Post

How will the 360 run unsigned code?

I'm not trying to flame you but have you read any of this thread at all?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5