xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Developing for Xbox 360 Not Limited to Licensed Publishers  (Read 698 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Developing for Xbox 360 Not Limited to Licensed Publishers
« on: December 24, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

thntbm

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »

I'm hoping they let XBMC's devs have a go.  laugh.gif

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(thntbm @ Dec 24 2005, 02:45 PM) View Post

I'm hoping they let XBMC's devs have a go.  laugh.gif

I was just going to say that maybe they'll let homebrew developers create apps that they'll sign for them and distribute via Live.  I know it sounds like a pipe dream, but you never know.

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

that would be cool.

ksteiner

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

xbmc for the 360 would be the best ever, gotta love xbmc love.gif

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

Hopefully they'll just make it easier to get Dev Kits and make things more reasonably priced.

santium

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

It would be cool if they did sign apps for people after testing them AND didn't want the source. Because then some sort of backdoor could be put into it to allow dumping everything.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

If you cant beat em, be with them. Hopefully this will eliminate the need for a mod chip to use homebrew apps biggrin.gif.

jimk72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »

I know alot of people think modchip and automaticly think pirated software but this is not the case with alot of us. I have 3 xboxes and since I will be getting a 360 soon I decided to mod the final one. All 3 are set up in different rooms with XBMC running on it. I dont use them to run pirated games and I would not have modded them if it was possible to use XBMC without a chip. This could be a very smart way to combat piracy. If you give people the power to build custom apps for your system and use them the need for chips would be greatly reduced. In alot of cases you may mod to be able to use things like XBMC and then you rent a game and decide to keep it a little longer to finish it and next thing you know you have 77 games on your HD LOL. JK But really this would be a very cool concept!

Monoxboogie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(santium @ Dec 24 2005, 10:29 PM) View Post

It would be cool if they did sign apps for people after testing them AND didn't want the source. Because then some sort of backdoor could be put into it to allow dumping everything.

Jerks like you are the reason this will never happen.

And that doc has been changed.  The one linked a long time ago had a mention of only using strcpy in "critical parts of code where the speed is absolutely vital."

Replex

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 09:46:00 AM »

I would personally be very interested in the ability to develop games for the 360.

Only thing is MS should REQUIRE source code for apps people might want to have signed.

I can see something happening where MS allows us to develop them and burn them to CD, however they need a way to manage it. They can make it so it will only work with 1 gamertag somehow, they are MS, they will find a way.

The really big thing this would open though, is emulator ports.. Imagine if someone made a SNES emulator with all of the SNES games on a DVD.. illegal, but it would probably happen.

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

if you want to make games, and have some money,... head on over to garage games,.. they have xbox live arcade liscenses available for 10k

Monoxboogie

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Replex @ Dec 25 2005, 05:53 PM) View Post

I would personally be very interested in the ability to develop games for the 360.

Only thing is MS should REQUIRE source code for apps people might want to have signed.

I can see something happening where MS allows us to develop them and burn them to CD, however they need a way to manage it. They can make it so it will only work with 1 gamertag somehow, they are MS, they will find a way.
The really big thing this would open though, is emulator ports.. Imagine if someone made a SNES emulator with all of the SNES games on a DVD.. illegal, but it would probably happen.

I believe MS *does* require source code for apps people might want to have signed.  There's just something that doesn't bode well about signing strange binaries and making them run.  Because the flash is writable, a person could "brick" a 360 with the right code.  And that would suck.  And without the source, MS would just sign it blindly and let people run it?

I'll agree that MS has made some major security mistakes in the past.  However, they made their money through a series of rational, inteligent moves.  They didn't make their money by being retarded.

AzraelKans

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

if you want to make games, and have some money,... head on over to garage games,.. they have xbox live arcade liscenses available for 10k

Where? Ive been a member of garagegames for years (not the best $100 bucks Ive expent) and I havent seen that info no where in the site.

If this is true, you have just become my personal hero man.

Btw. I just realized xbox 360 can run Flash is it possible to have games in flash too?

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(santium @ Dec 24 2005, 04:29 PM) View Post

What would the prupose of THAT be, other than piracy?  We don't want to mod to pirate games (some of us), we want to mod to have the added functionality of something WE paid for.
Pages: [1] 2