xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Software To Allow Streaming Of Video On Non Windows Mce  (Read 527 times)

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
Software To Allow Streaming Of Video On Non Windows Mce
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

Ok i have an xbox360 but i when i  found out that i cant stream videos because i dont have Windows MCE i was pissed. I have just a regular windows Xp computer. If anyone out there could please make a small program to  allow this on a non windows MCE machine. Im sure it can done, and i would gladly help out in anyway i could. But i know this would be a great piece of software for those of us who dont have the money to go out and get Windows MCE.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

The only way to view video is either straight off the hdd or THROUGH media center. You are talking about creating a program that emulates the media center extender and convinces the 360 that you are running Win. MCE-- this would be extremely difficult to do.

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

True, but the xbox 360 must have a file or piece of code that it is predefined to look for to know wether the computer is running MCE or other. Technically you wouldnt have to emulate the entire program but just the recognition protocol. That way when the x360 looks for the file or whatever,it can find it and connect. Then all that would be needed is a small program with menu trees or something that works on the same process as mce but not as fancy enough to where the streaming process can be accomplised. I mean thats the only part that is needed to stream the videos. The music and photos can already be streamed through Media Connect.

dracus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »

There is a program for mac that does this already. So it CAN be done and has been done. All we need is someone to port the unix program to windows.

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

I knew that it could done. I heard about that program for mac. And i know the program transcode is doing alot for playing Divx and Xvid stuff but with the exception that the person is already running MCE. Sounds like progress is being made but now for a porter. Any takers.

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

Just something i wanted to add. If you spent 399.99 on a new system that when you get it home and try to stream movies, but find you cant because you have the old version of a program, and that when you try to go and find a place to buy the new updated version your told that it only comes with certain computer and isnt availiable to buy anywere. Are you gonna go out and buy a brand new computer with that one thing extra thing on it. HELL NO. I like my computer it runs well and has everything i want on it. Im not about to be suckered into buying another computer just for that when a small piece of software can be createwd that will eliminate the need to spend $400-$800 on getting a new computer with that one thing one it. i have been reading in the forum that there are a few members out there that are running Xp and 2003 this program would benefit them and us greatly. PLEASE if someone can code this it would be awesome.

Ken_D

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »

I've seen a couple of references to the "MCE emulator" for the Mac on other sites too; can someone give me more information? Connect360 is great but it doesn't handle video streaming.

xecuterbox

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Acidmatrix @ Feb 18 2006, 08:26 PM) *

Just something i wanted to add. If you spent 399.99 on a new system that when you get it home and try to stream movies, but find you cant because you have the old version of a program, and that when you try to go and find a place to buy the new updated version your told that it only comes with certain computer and isnt availiable to buy anywere. Are you gonna go out and buy a brand new computer with that one thing extra thing on it. HELL NO. I like my computer it runs well and has everything i want on it. Im not about to be suckered into buying another computer just for that when a small piece of software can be createwd that will eliminate the need to spend $400-$800 on getting a new computer with that one thing one it. i have been reading in the forum that there are a few members out there that are running Xp and 2003 this program would benefit them and us greatly. PLEASE if someone can code this it would be awesome.

UK:
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail....SOFW&pgroup=SOF

US:
http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/microsof...ductdetail.html

no need for a new pc just buy the OS

This post has been edited by xecuterbox: Feb 19 2006, 10:40 PM

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

Just out of curiosity how is that possible unless its a conterfiet.

MS Telling you how to buy or more how you cant buy it as just the software just click on the sentence

Kaitou_Ace

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

this comes from the mouth of MS.  specifically a guy named Eric, who works on the MCE project.  this is first-hand info, as he told me this in a conference.

MS does not support the purchasing of a standalone, OEM version of the MCE OS.  it does exist, but it is for computer vendors to make their own MCEs for sale in retail.  however since they sell the product to a vendor, the vendor can do whatever they like with the software.  MS considers this a loophole and they do not support this type of OS purchase.  it is, however legal.

xboxhaxorz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Acidmatrix @ Feb 18 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Yep, BG screws us all. Unfortunately nobody really care besides the japs and we will continue to support them in their worldwide takeover. However, i figured their would be a mod later so i didnt care. It looks as though my thoughts are becoming realities.

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kaitou_Ace @ Feb 20 2006, 06:00 AM) *

this comes from the mouth of MS.  specifically a guy named Eric, who works on the MCE project.  this is first-hand info, as he told me this in a conference.

MS does not support the purchasing of a standalone, OEM version of the MCE OS.  it does exist, but it is for computer vendors to make their own MCEs for sale in retail.  however since they sell the product to a vendor, the vendor can do whatever they like with the software.  MS considers this a loophole and they do not support this type of OS purchase.  it is, however legal.

Ahh i see now.
So as a partial summary, The question/project at hand has yet to be fullfilled. The quest still remains strong though. In short for now you can go online and buy the OEM version of MCE from the supplied websites mentioned above. As it stands matters are going to be put solely into my hands. With my non-exsistant knowledge or experience in programming i am going to purse this quest to the best ability i can. Hey ive had a little experience in programming on an old Amstrad (with built in 1MB hard drive...lol) computer back in o the late 80's early 90's how hard could it be...lol.
But if there is anyone who can lend a hand, your hard work and dedication will not go unmentioned.
So look out for a release in the upcoming months

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

Please close thread as this has become an off limits topic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Acidmatrix

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Mar 1 2006, 03:35 AM) *

Please close thread as this has become an off limits topic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

How about instead of closing the whole thread the replys that are " off limits" get cleaned off.  

But anyways i have managed to get an OEM version of windows MCE from the above websites and have installed it on a separate machine. Now comes the fun part of testing and watching for what comes up. I will keep everyone updated the best i can. And i know that it kinda defeats the purpose of this thread now that i have MCE but this project is for those that dont but still want the benefits. i will get back to everyone as soon as i have made any progress.

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »

Topic stays open for the time being.. but more than one member just lost their accounts.

Morons.. piracy is piracy.  Keep it off X-S.