xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Party Buffalo v2.0.1.0 has been released  (Read 560 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Party Buffalo v2.0.1.0 has been released
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »

7062387304'>
Posted by GaryOPA | November 11 09:58 EST | News Category: Xbox360

The XBOX 360 HDD/USB device explorer.

CLK is back with an update for 'Party Buffalo', fixing a nasty bug related to the disk size calculations...

Xbox-Scene

Party Buffalo by 'CLK' is an XBOX 360 HDD/USB device explorer.

The just released v2.0.1.0 fixes a bug related to disk size calculations. Sadly, it looks like this will be the last update for this neat app, unless something goes wrong with this version.

Here's the official info:

Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve written on this blog, and since I’ve updated Party Buffalo. A friend of mine was trying to use my cross-platform FATX explorer, and it didn’t work for him. I thought that it was odd, since the FATX libs should be 100% solid as far as reading and disk size calculations and all that crazy stuff goes.

Well, I was wrong. Here was the problem, which also applied to Party Buffalo: I was using the raw disk size, and not the actual size that the Xbox uses from the security sector. So, for some disks, the size of the file allocation table would be off by +- (around)0×3000, give or take, which would then make the data region of the Data partition off by that amount as well, therefore giving the user bad (just random) filenames and other weird stuff happening.

I said this before, but this is almost 100% guaranteed to be the last update for Party Buffalo, unless I really screw up this update. I’ve since moved on to other projects. I’m starting to get in to web development (Ruby on Rails to be precise), and this project has lost my interest. I was debating finishing Up, but then two friends of mine showed me the awesome work they’ve done on their cross-platform STFS package manager (also does a lot more than just that!) called Velocity. They made the excellent point that it’s useless on non-Windows platforms without a device explorer. So, I’ve started to start development on Up again, and hope to have it done this winter.

Some reflections on Party Buffalo, and CLKsFATXLib:

I would have designed them both a lot differently. Looking through the source, I realize how much I didn’t understand when I started off, and how much better I could have made both projects in terms of performance and source structure/readability. Things got messy. Things got ugly. I sort of started to do that with the Drive class in Up’s FATX library, but I plan on sorting that out before the project is done with (how about this weekend?). I also probably should have made the update system a lot nicer, and shouldn’t have done that bullshit with the ads/latest news stuff. No one cares about that. It was annoying. I did it because the person who was hosting my server before suggest I do it in order to gain ad revenue for both myself and him. So, sorry for subjecting you guys to that.

I also probably should have used some kind SVC. Seriously. I started coding Party Buffalo when I was 13 I believe. I didn’t know what SVC was, so I didn’t use it. It was only at the end of the project that I finally uploaded the source to Google Code, and in hindsight I probably should have just uploaded it to GitHub. Zipping up the source and uploading it to a dump site really wasn’t the best solution (and it’s what I’m doing for this release, since I’m too lazy to reconfigure Google Code stuff and set it up on my GitHub page).

Per usual though, you can find the sources at CLKXU5. I did not provide CLKsFATXLib with its own source in the subfolder. Just grab the latest DLL if you need it.

To all of you who still use Party Buffalo: thanks for sticking with me. When Up is released, it should be pretty good, and make up for the flaws in Party Buffalo. If you’d like to follow the project, you can find its GitHub page here: landr0id. You can also follow me on Twitter (@landr0id) if you’d like. And yes, that picture is of me in a fur coat.

This update is recommended.

You can download the latest version from HERE.

Official Site: Party Buffalo (via) CLKXU5

News-Source: Party Buffalo v2.0.1.0 (via) 360Crunch

jm206

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »

7062387306'>Sometimes I wish all these devs would just put their pride aside and learn to work together. There's like at least 10 different FATX programs for the 360 with various gaps in features and bugs in each program. If they all cooperated from the beginning the result could've been a really solid program with all the kinks worked out.

As of yet there still doesn't seem to be any that consistently work all the time without freezing up or something. Most of the devs do this for free, so it's a kind of begger's can't be choosers type deal, but still, it's frustrating sometimes trying to get these things to work.

Makes me miss the XBMC days.

This post has been edited by jm206: Nov 11 2012, 05:28 PM

Console Guys

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(jm206 @ Nov 11 2012, 05:17 PM) View Post

Sometimes I wish all these devs would just put their pride aside and learn to work together. There's like at least 10 different FATX programs for the 360 with various gaps in features and bugs in each program. If they all cooperated from the beginning the result could've been a really solid program with all the kinks worked out.

As of yet there still doesn't seem to be any that consistently work all the time without freezing up or something. Most of the devs do this for free, so it's a kind of begger's can't be choosers type deal, but still, it's frustrating sometimes trying to get these things to work.

I couldn't of said this better myself biggrin.gif

CLK Rebellion

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(jm206 @ Nov 11 2012, 08:17 AM) View Post

Sometimes I wish all these devs would just put their pride aside and learn to work together. There's like at least 10 different FATX programs for the 360 with various gaps in features and bugs in each program. If they all cooperated from the beginning the result could've been a really solid program with all the kinks worked out.

Let me list off the ones that I know of, and why it wouldn't work if we did work together:

- Xplorer360 by Roofus and Angerwound. I don't think anyone has seen these guys around in a long time. Closed-source.

- XPort360 by whoever for the XPort docking station by Datel. I don't even think this exists anymore. Closed-source.

- Le Fluffie's FATX explorer by DJ Shepherd. He's moved on to other things, and the code he wrote doesn't work very well (and it's kind of slow). Open-source.

- Xbox 360 Commander by Icepir8icepir8. Ended development, not too sure how it worked for people, and I never tried it myself since I never saw a reason to. Closed-source.

- USB XTAF Explorer by slashr. Ended development, pretty sure was closed source. Slashr and I worked together a lot. Not to form one app that we both worked on, but just sharing ways of doing things. I remember he sent me the source to his app, and I would tell him about improvements I made to things which he would then release in his.

Now, down to the most relevant ones:

- Horizon's FATX explorer by unknown v2. Works really great, except the layout is meant to be just like how the Xbox works, and doesn't give you an actual file system structure to work with, thus only allowing you to transfer valid STFS packages to and from the hard drive. Will never be open-source unless the code leaks.

- FATXplorer by Eaton. Very good app, and he spent a lot of time making everything perfect. Eaton did a lot of work to make FATXplorer feel good, and implemented a lot of features which nothing else has (although, I can't see myself using some of them). I usually give him shit for taking such pride in the tooltips, but he really wanted it to be complete. The app is paid. $30 for one license. If I charged that for Party Buffalo and got the amount of people who actually use it to pay that and still use it, not only would I be rich, I'd have a reason to continue development. Eaton and I do communicate and share things from time to time.

- FatX USB Explorer by Mojobojo. I don't know.

As I said in the blog post, I was 13 when I started Party Buffalo, and I didn't know what SVC was. If I did, I probably would have tossed the source up on GitHub right away and had people actually contributing, instead of having myself do the work, zipping the source, and putting it on my website. It was not very organized.

Now, let's get to what you said.
Sometimes I wish all these devs would just put their pride aside and learn to work together.

What does pride have to do with this? If I had actually done things right from the beginning, the only person I could have worked with were Eaton and Slashr. Slashr lost interest a little while after Party Buffalo had frequent updates, and Eaton has a different model in mind for what he wants to do (i.e. he wants to make money off of his work, and I really don't care).

Months ago I started working on a cross-platform FATX explorer written in C++ as both a learning experience, and so that there'd be something available for Windows, OS X, and Linux, all getting the same updates and features (here's a GitHub link). I'm pretty sure it'd be the first one.

Two other friends of mine are working on a similar project, but applied to STFS, called Velocity. Here's a nice screenshot of it running on my OS X machine. Once I finish the core of Up, the projects will most likely be merged so that Velocity is the main app, containing a FATX explorer which will allow direct reading/writing from the disk for a lot of things STFS related + disk tools.

Midnight Tboy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »

7062387422'>App looks like it will be great to use - and love the layout of it judging by the pics.

Its been a long time (cpl years at least) since had to need use of a file explorer but will do over the next few days.

Fatx explorer and xplorer360 in the past used to cause so many problems for me, in the earlier days of having to patch the right version to read x drive etc.......otherwise when you 'injected' a file into the hard drive, if it wasn't set correctly, it would screw everything up, taking the space available, but not showing on the drive itself.

fingers crossed, those sort of issues are long since gone nowadays

jm206

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(CLK Rebellion @ Nov 11 2012, 08:49 PM) View Post

As I said in the blog post, I was 13 when I started Party Buffalo, and I didn't know what SVC was. If I did, I probably would have tossed the source up on GitHub right away and had people actually contributing, instead of having myself do the work, zipping the source, and putting it on my website. It was not very organized.

Now, let's get to what you said.
What does pride have to do with this? If I had actually done things right from the beginning, the only person I could have worked with were Eaton and Slashr. Slashr lost interest a little while after Party Buffalo had frequent updates, and Eaton has a different model in mind for what he wants to do (i.e. he wants to make money off of his work, and I really don't care).

Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I don't claim to know any of the people you mentioned in your post much less their motivations for doing what they do, and I do appreciate everything you guys do for us end users. It's just what it seemed like to me from an outsider's perspective, I stand corrected.

kneehighspy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »

7062387452'>been using party buffalo for awhile now, donated to clk also, best 360 file app I've used and have donated to a few others also, always stay with party buffalo, it does everything I need and it works!  thanks for all the great work clk!

//kneehighspy

CLK Rebellion

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

7062387533'>
QUOTE(kneehighspy @ Nov 14 2012, 12:42 AM) *

been using party buffalo for awhile now, donated to clk also, best 360 file app I've used and have donated to a few others also, always stay with party buffalo, it does everything I need and it works!  thanks for all the great work clk!

//kneehighspy

Hey thank you very much! If you donated around the time that Party Buffalo first came out, your contribution helped by some awesome Christmas gifts for my family.

kneehighspy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(CLK Rebellion @ Nov 16 2012, 01:49 AM) View Post

Hey thank you very much! If you donated around the time that Party Buffalo first came out, your contribution helped by some awesome Christmas gifts for my family.

it's been quite awhile,since I donated, it's probably about a year or so.  I don't mind donating to something if it is a great and useful util or tool and you've done a fabulous job with pb!

40_ounce

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

7062388011'>Thanks for the update. And can't wait to see what you have coming in the future.

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(CLK Rebellion @ Nov 11 2012, 01:49 PM) View Post

Let me list off the ones that I know of, and why it wouldn't work if we did work together:

- Xplorer360 by Roofus and Angerwound. I don't think anyone has seen these guys around in a long time. Closed-source.

Hello smile.gif

elgarlic

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »

7062388580'>So is the site sort of winding down, or is it just a slow period or perhaps a change of staff?

bLiGhTy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(elgarlic @ Dec 5 2012, 03:11 AM) View Post

So is the site sort of winding down, or is it just a slow period or perhaps a change of staff?

Yeah i keep thinking that! I've been checking here every day waiting to see FSD's Link public beta release,  i can't wait for that to come out!

razkar

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »

7062388687'>
QUOTE(bLiGhTy @ Dec 7 2012, 12:50 AM) *

Yeah i keep thinking that! I've been checking here every day waiting to see FSD's Link public beta release,  i can't wait for that to come out!

It's already out wink.gif
http://www.homebrew-connection.org/freesty...b-plugin-added/

elgarlic

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(razkar @ Dec 7 2012, 03:03 AM) View Post

Right. I was going to say, this is probably no longer the place to check.

I am thinking it's either done or there is a staff change, because the poster of this news still posts news actively on another console site.

Seems a bit out of the blue. Oh well, hopefully x-s comes back. If not, thank you and it's been a great run!
Pages: [1] 2