xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: 360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2  (Read 438 times)

MaD_mAnIaC

• Archived User
360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

hey frosty thanks for all the work you've been putting in this great software, i'm wondering if you still intend to keep releasing new versions in cdrom format too?
the usb version is a great improvement because of the extra stability and functions,
but i really liked the fact that with the cdrom version i can just take the cd and via card anywhere a pc is around and flash there... while usb is more tricky with old pc's...

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(MaD_mAnIaC @ Jun 8 2009, 12:52 PM) View Post

hey frosty thanks for all the work you've been putting in this great software, i'm wondering if you still intend to keep releasing new versions in cdrom format too?
the usb version is a great improvement because of the extra stability and functions,
but i really liked the fact that with the cdrom version i can just take the cd and via card anywhere a pc is around and flash there... while usb is more tricky with old pc's...

I intend to continue to release the disc-based version alongside the USB version in the future.

My releases will always come in 2 flavors, USB and Disc based. smile.gif

However, the disc-based version will usually be released a week later than the USB releases (it takes me a lot longer to implement the same changes in the disc-based version than the USB, due to changes in boot methods and scripting), and disc-based versions won't be as reliable (due to only partial NTFS support on disc-based versions). smile.gif

This release does not have a disc-based version available yet, but I plan to have it out sometime this week.

QUOTE(joliverio @ Jun 8 2009, 12:37 PM) View Post

FrostyTheSnowman;

Many thanks for your modification USB drives; it is really useful. Your break-even point were moving to USB instead of disc with NTFS, now your application is perfect and your revisions will only fine tune it and make it even better. Thanks again, keep your nice work to the X community!

Thanks for your support!

It's always nice to hear that people enjoy my releases. smile.gif

xaudiox

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 8 2009, 04:35 PM) View Post

You can technically use it on any chipset you want, you just need to know what the port for your chipset is.

The only downside to using a chipset other than VIA/nForce is that the drive you are trying to modify might not dump it's firmware without a VIA/nForce chipset.

However, if you try another chipset and the drive DOES dump it's firmware, then your chipset is compatible, and you are safe to continue flashing the drive. smile.gif

OK thanks Frosty, JungleFlasher works fine so i presume this will to, will give it a go on my next flash wink.gif

@ alwaysonjohn thanks for the tip.

tehloxely

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

how do you use this?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(versastyle @ Jun 8 2009, 10:54 PM) View Post

Noob Q's commin at you :
Hi Frosty, first off thanks to you for all your hard work and everyone like C4E etc, I have been sifting these forums over the past few years. Now as the 360 has so many ways to flash the firmware I'm getting a little confused. iPrep, Jungle Flasher, DOS etc. I do have some minimal experience for e.g flashing PSP's and installing new firmwares on xbox 1 (Xecuter chips were installed though)

I have 3 x 360's ( no not rich very far from it infact haha, my launch premium Samsung 360 RROD after nearly 3 years, and I bought a arcade to replace it & use the HDD etc off the premium for it, but did the RROD fix on the Samsung Premium and revived it, Then grabbed the 20gb HDD and 3 month Live Gold from microsoft for $30 smile.gif off there website but then saved up and grabbed the Red Res Evil elite package so i can go on Live legit)

Anyways what I'm a little confused about is I had someone flash my 2 360's to iX 1.5, (Launch Premium = Samsung,  Arcade = Lite-On) They did not give me my drive keys. Now in your post you mentioned that "I'm thinking I will be adding the ability to also dump the current firmware on the drive too." So even though that my drives are flashed already would this save me the efforts of having to buy the CK3 or the Maximus USB extractor kits?? or do I still need to use this anyways to grab my keys so i can upgrade my drives to iX 1.6 & future firmware upgrades???

I forgot to mention , My Arcade Lite-On now has the original Xblaster 360 installed on it (from Xecuter), which used to be on the Launch Premium Samsung console I just never got around to using it. I also have a 3 Port SATA IDE PCI PC Card VIA 6421 VT6421A , but my motherboard has 4 sata ports on it aswell. hopefully all this info will help
Thanks in advance & thanks to xbox scene for these most excellent forums.

Dumping the drives directly in the future will still require a CK3 for the Lite-On drives. I'm not sure if DOSFLASH supports direct dumping of already modified Lite-On drives, but if it does then maybe I can add that option in the future.

For now though you can purchase a CK3 lite & probe (normal CK3 works fine too) and use your VT6421A card and my USB drive to easily upgrade your Lite-On drive to iXtreme v1.6.

NOTE: You do not need the CK3 to modify your Samsung drive though, you can just use the 360 to power the drive while the PC is flashing it. (or the CK3 if you wanted to, but it's not necessary for Samsung/BenQ drives, the 360 power will work just fine) happy.gif

P.S. LOL, yeah, i'm guilty of owning (2) 360's myself, I got each of them broken (RROD) for $30 locally with power & video cables, I was able to fix them for about $5 each in parts and they were up and running. So I totally understand the need for more than one 360. smile.gif

QUOTE(swordmaster1 @ Jun 9 2009, 12:57 AM) View Post

Hey Frosty,

This looks like a nice Utility.

I've been reading a lot of tutorials on flashing my 360 and all.

I have a Lite-On Drive XBOX 360 (Stock). I've ordered the CK3 Pro with Probe.

Here is what i'm planning to do:

-Use Jungle flasher & CK3 & Probe to dump my drives Key( Have Via card too). Use Jungle flasher to merge key with IXTREME V1.6 Lite-on Repack to get the modified firmware to be flashed on my Lite-On Drive. (i Don't know if your Utility supports dumping Drives key for Lite-on Drives using CK3 Pro & Probe?  unsure.gif

I'd really like to erase and flash my 360 in DOS cause of the Lite-on freeze bug in windows. (Don't want to take chance)

My question is if i have my modified firmware(with drives key in) can i use your application to erase and flash my 360 with? and which location do i put my firmware in so that my 360 is flashed with my firmware for my Lite-On? A nice little tutorial would be nice as i'm a NOOB to this lol tongue.gif .

Thanks in Advanced biggrin.gif

If you have already created your modified firmware in JungleFlasher with your correct keys, then yes, you can easily erase your Lite-On drive and flash your own custom firmware file on to your Lite-On drive using my USB drive.

Follow these directions:

1. Create your firmware in JungleFlasher
2. Create your USB drive using the tutorial provided in the '360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2' download package
3. Once the USB drive is created, copy your firmware file into the 'CUSTOM' folder on the USB drive
4. Use the same SATA port number (example: CF00 - yours will be different) you used in JungleFlasher in my USB drive too (my USB drive will ask for it when it's booting)
5. Boot my USB drive in your PC
6. The USB drive will ask you for your SATA port (use the same one you used in JungleFlasher) and just press ENTER to skip the com port screen (since you aren't dumping, just flashing)
7. Type CUSTOM and press ENTER
8. Type LONFLASH and press ENTER
9. Type the name of your firmware file that you put in the CUSTOM folder (example: Lite_CFW.bin) and press ENTER
10. Follow the instructions to flash your Lite-On drive with your firmware (drive will be erased, then flashed)

Hope this helps. smile.gif

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sm0k3d-0uT @ Jun 9 2009, 08:39 AM) View Post

Will there be a revision 2 for the 360 modification disc? I can't boot from USB sad.gif

Yes, the disc-based version will always come out a week after the USB version.

It should be out before Sunday of this week. happy.gif

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

* DOUBLE POST *

Okay, so after MUCH thinking and deliberation I have decided that I will continue to release new versions of the '360 Modification Disc', however, the disc-based version will not have any advanced features in the future. Meaning that the disc-based version will continue to be updated as new firmware versions come out, but the features will remain the same. (the disc-based version will ONLY be able to automatically flash drives, nothing more)

My reasoning for this is that NTFS support in DOS with the disc-based version is not reliable enough to allow NTFS HDDs to be used as a medium for containing files that would be used with the advanced options the disc would have offered. (like the USB version currently offers)

NTFS support under DOS works just fine for backing up files, but I do not trust it beyond that. Therefore, the disc-based version will only offer the option to 'automatically flash' your 360 DVD drive and nothing more in the future. When new iXtreme firmware versions are released, the disc will be updated.

So, just to finalize and clear things up, the USB-based version will always be the 'better' option, and will continue to have features added to it, and will continue to be regularly updated. The disc-based version will also continue to be updated, but only when new iXtreme firmware is released, and will not offer any advanced features beyond automatically flashing drives.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(psxpirate2002 @ Jun 9 2009, 12:56 PM) View Post

frosty, im new to all this could u please tell me if i need the xbox360 power cable plug in and turned on and aso the vga cable and also where i can download this new release please, thnx man

If you are using my software to modify a Samsung/BenQ drive then you can easily use the 360's DVD drive power connector to supply power to the drive. If you are using my software to modify a Lite-On drive, then you cannot use the 360's DVD drive power connector, you will need a CK3 lite or equivalent power supply with a serial cable option for the Lite-On drive.

So, if you want to use your 360 to power the Samsung/BenQ drives, do this:

1. Connect your PC's SATA cable to your Samsung/BenQ drive
2. Connect the 360 DVD power cable to your Samsung/BenQ drive
3. Connect any 360 video cable you want to your 360 (does not need to be connected to TV though)
4. Follow the instructions in the menus of the '360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2' to modify your 360 DVD drive, and when it asks you to 'plug in the power to the DVD drive' just turn on your 360 instead, and when it tells you to 'unplug the power from the DVD drive' just turn off your 360. (NOTE: It takes 15 seconds for the 360 to turn off completely)

NOTE: My USB drive software will tell you to wait 5 seconds before applying power back to the drive, however, if you are using the 360 to power it instead of an external power supply (like the CK3 lite, which is recommended) you need to wait 20 seconds instead.

So yes, you can use the 360 to power the drive just fine, just use your common sense with the menus, and change the 5 second wait into 20 seconds and you will be fine.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(psxpirate2002 @ Jun 9 2009, 03:11 PM) View Post

thnx alot for all your help frosty, but im still unable to find your software, a link wud be much appreciated thnx again

I can't provide a link, due to the fact that my software contains firmware files that are considered 'illegal' to distribute on this site.

However, you could search for the 'usual places' (XBINS FTP) and you will find what you are looking for. happy.gif

Arsenal1080

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »

Since revision 2 has ms-dos with it, i am able to boot with no problems! Thank you, Frosty!

yliquor

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 10:41:00 PM »

Wow, this worked great! Thanks Frosty.  I have two 360's.  One is a BEN Q.  Worked great on that.  The other is a Hitachi 78.  Any chance I can use your tool for the Hitachi?  I know I have to somehow get it in mode B, did the SLAX disc last time.  Just like your tool so much, would rather use it.
Thanks again!

Greenvalor7

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

Frosty thank you soo much for this phenomenal tool!  I will never use windows to flash anything other than Hitachi again and I would recommend that everyone else does the same!  Keep up the awesome work and thanks again.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Greenvalor7 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:22 PM) View Post

Frosty thank you soo much for this phenomenal tool!  I will never use windows to flash anything other than Hitachi again and I would recommend that everyone else does the same!  Keep up the awesome work and thanks again.

Nice to hear it! DOS is a lot more reliable for flashing anyway IMHO. smile.gif

I'm glad to hear that my software worked well for you. wink.gif

QUOTE(yliquor @ Jun 9 2009, 11:41 PM) View Post

Wow, this worked great! Thanks Frosty.  I have two 360's.  One is a BEN Q.  Worked great on that.  The other is a Hitachi 78.  Any chance I can use your tool for the Hitachi?  I know I have to somehow get it in mode B, did the SLAX disc last time.  Just like your tool so much, would rather use it.
Thanks again!

I'm hoping to be able to add Hitachi support in the future, but as of yet there are no DOS tools for flashing Hitachi drives...

I can assure you though, if DOS tools are developed for the Hitachi drives I will definitely add support for them at that time.

So for the moment, no, my disc does not support Hitachi drives. sad.gif

QUOTE(psxpirate2002 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) View Post

frosty, im really sorry for being a pain but ive made the bootable usb, put in all my details like port and backup folder etc.., but when i turn on my xbox when prompted, it freezes the keyboard up so i cant press any keys, hav u any ideas mate? thnx for all your help anyway smile.gif

I have seen a few VT6421A cards do that... it's caused by a flaw in your VIA VT6421A card itself.

I own 3 different brands of VT6421A cards myself, and one specific card always freezes the keyboard when I try to use it. (specifically the USB/FireWire/SATA combo cards that use the VT6421A chipset seem to be the ones that do this)

Either you will need a different brand of VT6421/VT6421A card, or you can try using your motherboard's SATA ports.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

* DOUBLE POST *

Update: 360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 3 (the next release) is going to have a REAL GUI, with mouse support and all! (still running under FreeDOS or MS-DOS though)

I'm looking for beta testers at the moment, preferably ones that have used my 360 Modification Disc/Drive in the past.

If you are interested, PM me.

psxpirate2002

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »

frosty, flashed my drive folowing all the instrutions and it said everything had been successful but every game i put into the drive (including games that use to work fine) now say that i need a xbox to play the disk, any ideas mate?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6