xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2  (Read 439 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 2
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 7 23:06 EST | News Category: Xbox360

FrostyTheSnowman released a new revision of his 360 Modification USB Drive(info).

What's new/fixed in v1.6:
* Removed manual firmware dump check screen (due to keyboard incompatibility)
* Added firmware dump validation scripting (to replace manual checks)
* Added 'Advanced Options' menu
* Added direct custom firmware flashing menu for Samsung/BenQ/Lite-On drives
* Corrected USB Boot Drive Letter detection
* USB Drive can now be created with either FreeDOS or MS-DOS (compatibility fix for older PCs)

Official Site: n/a, by FrostyTheSnowman
Download: n/a (contains modified FWs)
News-Source/Full Readme: xbins.org

alwaysonjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »

great job on this frosty!  The switch to USB is great.  Also, I was wondering if you can combine L-O-Erase with your program sometime in the future?  thanks Frosty!

Murc

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

kind of a noob question

Is this basically an alterative from using jungleflasher?

BigIg91

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Murc @ Jun 8 2009, 12:22 AM) View Post

kind of a noob question

Is this basically an alterative from using jungleflasher?

In a sense, yes.

But I'd never flash outside of DOS if at all possible.

DOS is about as stable of an OS as it gets so there is less of a risk then flashing from within windows.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(alwaysonjohn @ Jun 7 2009, 10:21 PM) View Post

great job on this frosty!  The switch to USB is great.  Also, I was wondering if you can combine L-O-Erase with your program sometime in the future?  thanks Frosty!

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you want L-O-Eras.exe added to the Lite-On modification process?

I'm currently using the built-in erase feature of DOSFLASH to do all drive erasing, including the Lite-On, and it seems to work just fine. (AFAIK, DOSFLASH's erase command mimics the command used in L-O-Eras.exe)

xaudiox

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »

Great Job, is Intel chipsets supported now or is this still VIA only ?
Never used it to be honest.

alwaysonjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

for all those asking, this drive is a great way to flash if you are using a 64bit os.  since jungleflasher won't work in the 64bit environment.

I didn't want it added to the process. I was hoping you can create a new section for emergency erasing for those that have somehow failed to completely erase their drives (or screwed up the flash).  Samsung erase, benq erase, and LO_Erase.  I would add some warning screens of course for the newbs, but if we had one dos tool to erase all the drives (except hitachi of course), then it could really help out the scene.

This post has been edited by alwaysonjohn: Jun 8 2009, 04:34 PM

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(xaudiox @ Jun 8 2009, 09:25 AM) View Post

Great Job, is Intel chipsets supported now or is this still VIA only ?
Never used it to be honest.

You can technically use it on any chipset you want, you just need to know what the port for your chipset is.

The only downside to using a chipset other than VIA/nForce is that the drive you are trying to modify might not dump it's firmware without a VIA/nForce chipset.

However, if you try another chipset and the drive DOES dump it's firmware, then your chipset is compatible, and you are safe to continue flashing the drive. smile.gif

QUOTE(alwaysonjohn @ Jun 8 2009, 09:33 AM) View Post

for all those asking, this drive is a great way to flash if you are using a 64bit os.  since jungleflasher won't work in the 64bit environment.

I didn't want it added to the process. I was hoping you can create a new section for emergency erasing for those that have somehow failed to completely erase their drives (or screwed up the flash).  Samsung erase, benq erase, and LO_Erase.  I would add some warning screens of course for the newbs, but if we had one dos tool to erase all the drives (except hitachi of course), then it could really help out the scene.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sure, I would be happy to add that feature to the 'Advanced Options' menu in the next release. happy.gif

I'm thinking I will be adding the ability to also dump the current firmware on the drive too.

Currently the 'Advanced Options' menu only allows you to manually flash a drive with user-provided (custom) firmware, but, as requested, I will also be adding the ability to manually dump, and manually erase drives in the next release. happy.gif

alwaysonjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »

xaudio, he uses mtkflash, so it is what chipsets that program is compatible with.  jungleflasher uses the same, so if you can use jungleflasher you should be able to use his disc.

alwaysonjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(alwaysonjohn @ Jun 8 2009, 10:17 AM) View Post

thanks frosty! now i can tell those that screwed up their drives.... to go get your latest when it comes out..

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=686116
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=686057
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=686028
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=685935 (removing 0800 mode)
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=686005

that is what i found in the past few days.

It's always sad when bricks happen, I really don't trust Windows apps with my drives for the above reasons. (hence the reason why I created the 360 Modification USB Drive) smile.gif

My current release supports direct drive flashing as long as they have their original (or modified) firmware. The above users can easily use the 'Advanced Options' menu in my current release to unbrick their drives. smile.gif

xtwisted metal

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

noob ?  

does this flash ur xbox so u can play burn games?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(xtwisted metal @ Jun 8 2009, 11:55 AM) View Post

noob ?  

does this flash ur xbox so u can play burn games?

Yes. However, you still need to disassemble your 360, pull out your DVD-ROM drive, find the port number for your VIA VT6421 or nForce SATA chipset (tutorial included with my USB drive software to help figure out your port), then create this USB drive, boot it on your PC, then follow the on-screen instructions to flash your 360's DVD-ROM drive (so that it can play burned/backup games). happy.gif

joliverio

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »

FrostyTheSnowman;

Many thanks for your modification USB drives; it is really useful. Your break-even point were moving to USB instead of disc with NTFS, now your application is perfect and your revisions will only fine tune it and make it even better. Thanks again, keep your nice work to the X community!

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(BigIg91 @ Jun 8 2009, 12:25 AM) View Post

In a sense, yes.

But I'd never flash outside of DOS if at all possible.

DOS is about as stable of an OS as it gets so there is less of a risk then flashing from within windows.

If you have your key, then you really are not at any risk in windows, as it seems all drives are easily recoverable in DOS, except hitachi which you have to desolder.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6