xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 120 Elite Hdd Bricked?  (Read 96 times)

thr4773r

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »

I'm not a hundred percent on it, but I believe if you format with ntfs in your pc, then delete the partition immediately following, your 360 should see it again as unformatted.
You can't restore a 20gb image to a 120gb drive. You can backup data from the drive to transfer over, but not as a whole image.
With hddhackr, in order to get partition 2 on a wd hacked drive, I have to restore a 20(or a 120gb image, but that takes a heck of a lot of room on my pc's hard drive) and the 360 won't recognize the drive after this. I have to flash the original bin, back and then reflash my 120gb hddss.bin to the drive to get it recognized again.
The process is a little different in your case.

I would try formatting in your pc and deleting the partition immediately after that. It isn't bricked if your pc can see it and you haven't messed up the secure sector by hexing it...

unfinished

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »

so what should i do exactly now ?

i understand how to format the drive to ntfs.
but my pc doenst show it on the normal windows explorer or at a partition programm.

and after that which partition shouldi delete ?

Antman1

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »

I am 100percent on this.  You need to have the ss.bin for the 120GB Hard Drive to fix it.  The 360 does not see it because the 20GB image overwrote the Security Sector and if you format it, it will not see it still until you put a Security Sector back on it manually with a hexeditor.  Right now as it stands it may have put the 20GB Security Sector on their and Xplorer360 might be able to see it still.  You should always at least make a backup of a Hard drives Security Sector before doing anything crazy.  Next time just drag all the files from partition 3 over to your PC then when you hook the 120gb up drag those files back to 120gb partition 3.

thr4773r

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Antman1 @ Aug 15 2008, 07:52 AM) View Post

I am 100percent on this.  You need to have the ss.bin for the 120GB Hard Drive to fix it.  The 360 does not see it because the 20GB image overwrote the Security Sector and if you format it, it will not see it still until you put a Security Sector back on it manually with a hexeditor.  Right now as it stands it may have put the 20GB Security Sector on their and Xplorer360 might be able to see it still.  You should always at least make a backup of a Hard drives Security Sector before doing anything crazy.  Next time just drag all the files from partition 3 over to your PC then when you hook the 120gb up drag those files back to 120gb partition 3.

What are you going off of for this info? I know you have contributed quite a bit in the whole security area and would like to pick your brain a bit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of public info regarding this and I would like to get more details. The question I am most curious about is whether xplorer360 does in fact overwrite the entire drive on a restore image, or just the partitions following like acronis or partition magic.

If I have a question about something, I like to test different things. I went back and did a restore of a 20gb image to my 120gb drive like the original poster did, and never saw a change in the security sector. Sectors 16-22 remained the same as before restoring the 20gb image.

The only thing that was different than his situation was that my 120>20gb drive was not corrupted completely. I was showing a 16gb free space at the hard drive window, and at the format hard drive 16gb free (of a 107gb drive). Do you have any idea what might have been different in his error to my experiment?

IPB Image

Sorry bout the crappy pic.

If you have any more info about this, please link to.

Thsnka

unfinished

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

hey guys. thanks for your help.

but nothing works. i broke something .

i tried to flash it with a 120 gb futjitsu hdd.bin.
and hddhackr. but it doesnt work.

then i formated it and tried some tricks with the hex. but nothing worked.

so i will buy tomorrow a new one. for a huge price...

im so stupid. i just wanted to save 35 euro for a memory card . and now i have to pay 140 euro -.-

unfinished

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(thr4773r @ Aug 15 2008, 11:42 PM) View Post

What are you going off of for this info? I know you have contributed quite a bit in the whole security area and would like to pick your brain a bit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of public info regarding this and I would like to get more details. The question I am most curious about is whether xplorer360 does in fact overwrite the entire drive on a restore image, or just the partitions following like acronis or partition magic.

If I have a question about something, I like to test different things. I went back and did a restore of a 20gb image to my 120gb drive like the original poster did, and never saw a change in the security sector. Sectors 16-22 remained the same as before restoring the 20gb image.

The only thing that was different than his situation was that my 120>20gb drive was not corrupted completely. I was showing a 16gb free space at the hard drive window, and at the format hard drive 16gb free (of a 107gb drive). Do you have any idea what might have been different in his error to my experiment?

Thsnka

or a friend of me had an idea.
would it be possible if you send me a hddss.bin file of your 120 gb drive that i would flash that over my corrupt drive. that maybe my xbox detects its and i could format it ?

thr4773r

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

No. Its copyrighted and you can't ask for it here. Plus I'd feel funny knowing that clones of my hd's hddss would be circling around the net afterwards. huh.gif
However a resourceful person should be able to find a copy out in the void of the net.

You did hex the elite's 120gb drive already? What was it showing as the capacity of the drive in winhex?

unfinished

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(thr4773r @ Aug 16 2008, 01:22 AM) View Post

No. Its copyrighted and you can't ask for it here. Plus I'd feel funny knowing that clones of my hd's hddss would be circling around the net afterwards. huh.gif
However a resourceful person should be able to find a copy out in the void of the net.

You did hex the elite's 120gb drive already? What was it showing as the capacity of the drive in winhex?

mh i dont know how to use winhex. what thingss do i have to do ?

i never worked with it.

unfinished

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »

okay i couldn manage to rescue the elite hdd. i had to buy a new one. thank you very much for you help!!

im very happy that you wanted to help me.

a mod can close here now.

Mo.Shef

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(unfinished @ Aug 15 2008, 02:47 AM) View Post

so i bought some days ago a elite . i had before a premium with 20 gb hdd

now i wanted to put my stuff from the 20gb hdd to my new 120 gb hdd.

i made a backup of my 20gb hdd with xplorer360 . it worked.

then i made a restore of the 20gb image on the 120 gb hdd with xplorer360

but after about 1/3 of the process xplorer360 freezed and closed automatically.

now the xbox360 doesnt detect the 120 gb hdd

only xplorer360 does.

but i dont know what to do now ?

is it possible to format the xbox360 hdd  with a computer????

so that maybe my 360 can detect it again. then i would buy a memory card. it would be easier to switch the savegames from 20 to 120...
PLEASE HELP ME

reconnect ur SATA 120GB to PC via SATA Connector. flash it using the 120GB.bin (PM ME). then disconnect it and attach to ur xbox. format it on ur xbox then it will ask u for ur xbox serial no so just enter that.

now connect it to ur PC n use Xplorer360 n restore ur partition 2 and partition 3. then connect it to ur xbox n wallah it working. but remember some gave saves will be corrupted due to they using ur old 20GB hard drive.

QUOTE(thr4773r @ Aug 15 2008, 10:42 PM) View Post

Thsnka

lol look at were u placed ur xbox360. u want ur xbox360 to end up with red ring of death? if i were u remove it off the top of ur tv. heat from the tv goes into the bottom of the xbox360 n dat will cause overheating problem.

thr4773r

• Archived User
120 Elite Hdd Bricked?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »

LOL. its a rear projection Toshiba...

No heat there.

Anyhow, 3RRod is just a myth. Not gonna happen to me... wink.gif

Well, not anymore. But seriously, lost my launch 360 3months after getting it, and the replacement 6 months later.
Not due to placement, just crappy components which have since been fixed(or just improved) in their design.