xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Watching Hd Content On 360?  (Read 70 times)

ashlar42

• Archived User
Watching Hd Content On 360?
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Caboose87 @ Mar 28 2007, 03:35 AM) View Post

So I've got some .ts files I want to watch on my 360. I've converted them to MPEG, but what's next? I want to convert them to WMV HD so I can stream them to my 360, but I'm having some serious trouble doing so. I just spend my entire evening searching for way on how to do it, and downloaded tons and tons of software, nothing seems to be working right. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. I've just got the good ol' Windows XP installed, one of that media center stuff.

MPEG2Repair
DGIndex (open mpg file and then save project, this will output a .d2v file and an AC3 sound file)
Avisynth
CODE
LoadPlugin("C:\Programs\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programs\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\VSFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programs\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\decomb.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programs\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\UnDot.dll")

#  SOURCE
mpeg2source("C:\YourMovie.d2v")

#  IVTC
telecide(order=1,guide=1)
decimate(cycle=5)
LanczosResize(1280,720)
TextSub("C:\YourMovie.ass")

Undot()
This assumes you want to inverse telecine the movie, to get to 23.98 fps (thus saving space on the encode, by not encoding useless frames), and that you want to resize it to 720p if it was 1080i. The TextSub is there if you want to hard encode subtitles, you might not want to, obviously. I use the .ass format as it allows finer control on the look of subtitles than .srt.

You then use the MakeAVI program that comes with Avisynth and feed it this *.avs file you created (the one I gave you code for).

You then open Windows Media Encoder and set it up with the avi file you just created as source. A good guide can be found here: http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=227837

I tend to go with quality-VBR, with 93 as a setting. 97 is required to keep the finer details of some h.264 encodes (but greatly inflates the file size). Make sure to also go to Tools/Options/Performance in Windows Media Encoder and set it closer to Better Performance rather than Better Quality, as it is setup by default. The Better Performance setting does little for quality and increases compression times *a lot*. You can obviously experiment to find the best compromise.

You'll get a wmv video-only file.

You then create the audio. Process the AC3 file through Belight and get 6 mono wave channels. Back to Windows Media Encoder and use the Device function to configure Multichannel audio encoding. For compression I tend to use CBR at a step higher in kbs than the original, just to be sure...

You get a wma audio file.

Now you use Windows Media Stream Editor to mux the video with the audio and... enjoy watching it on your 360.

This is not very detailed but should point you in the right direction. There's a lot of trial and error involved. If you can do without the subtitles you save half the work (because of the nightmares in getting them to sync...).

ashlar42

• Archived User
Watching Hd Content On 360?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(ashlar42 @ Apr 3 2007, 11:56 AM) View Post

#  IVTC
telecide(order=1,guide=1)
decimate(cycle=5)
Also, bear in mind that the order you have to use for inverse telecine has to be checked beforehand. There is a good guide for this in the Avisynth documentation.

You find it here: C:\INSTALL PATH FOR AVISYNTH\Docs\english\externalfilters\decombtutorial.htm