xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pc Connect Failure  (Read 67 times)

armysgt74

• Archived User
Pc Connect Failure
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »

Has anyone else had this problem?

I used to be able to connect to my old PC that ran on Windows Media Center just fine. Within this last month, I purchased a Media Center computer from Dell and have had PC connection issues galore. When running the media check, I get PC Connection (Fail). When trying to load Media Center, the screen goes black and then prompts me with the error:  Another user or application on the Windows Media Center-based PC has disconnected this device. And that's with the new PC straight out of the box after installing necessary programs from Xbox.com!

Does anyone know any solutions to this? I have tried openning the suggested ports and even disabling my Firewall. Nothing seems to work.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

wmadoss

• Archived User
Pc Connect Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »

Theres an article on MS knowledgebase about this.

But in short u have to delete the old PC from Console Settings / network (I think) and also delete the "save" game for your old MCE computer and then reregister your new one...

I followed the article and it worked..

deadparrot

• Archived User
Pc Connect Failure
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

Make sure you have the welcome screen and fast user switching enabled.  That's what caused me to get this error.

armysgt74

• Archived User
Pc Connect Failure
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

I do have both enabled. It's weird because last night, I configured the router to set a static ip address to my xbox 360. I hadn't thought that reserving the ip address would make such a big difference because it was always the same ip even without reserving it. For some reason, I tested the xbox 360 right after reserving it's ip and I got NAT to OPEN.

I thought that this was the last I would have to fight with the router. I should have knocked on wood because about an hour later, the NAT went back to STRICT without me even adjusting the router or settings in the xbox  grr.gif

I'm about to throw in the flag and be happy with connecting to 25% of the games on live. I don't know what's wrong and feel I'll throw the xbox 360 and router out the window if I continue trying to fix the problem. Not to mention that I can't stream videos, pictures, or music to the 360 with Windows Media Center... even though it worked fine with my old computer...