xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Center Is Killing Me Here...  (Read 283 times)

0db

• Archived User
Media Center Is Killing Me Here...
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

OK, I just FINALLY got my 360 yesterday.  Woohoo, yay for me.

I'm running XP-MCE2005 on my desktop, update rollup 2.  I run through the MCE setup on the 360, go to the PC and run the setup program and enter the 8-digit code.  The PC sees the Xbox and authorizes it.  But then it goes to the "testing network" screen and it won't communicate; eventually times out.  The Xbox at this point is on a black screen, with a very faint Media Center logo in the center.  It will not respond to ANY control input at this point.  If I start Media Center with the remote, it does the same thing... I see the popup when it logs into Live, then black screen with faded MC logo.  I have to power down the 360 to get out of this.

I'm on a WIRED network, Linksys router, no firewall, no antivirus, etc.  PC is xxx.xxx.15.100 and the 360 is xxx.xxx.15.101, DHCP assigned.  The 360 has internet connectivity but I can't ping it from my desktop (WTF?).

Is this "lockup / freezing" issue common?  I've seen numerous threads about people having difficulty establishing a connection, I've enabled UPNP and the other services suggested.  I've forwarded a set of ports as recommended in one thread, but I don't think that SHOULD be necessary as that normally only applies to traffic from OUTSIDE the LAN coming into the router.  

Anyway, I'm frustrated as all HECK right now.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »

I know this may sound obvious but are you leaving your 360 at the screen after the code that tells you to leave it there while you run the setup on pc?

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Feb 24 2006, 11:19 AM) *

I know this may sound obvious but are you leaving your 360 at the screen after the code that tells you to leave it there while you run the setup on pc?

Yeah, and once I run through the Setup on PC, the Xbox automatically jumps to the "black screen" and won't go any further.  So they're obviously communicating somehow.

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

OK well I think I'm going to start out by uninstalling everything this put on my computer and clearing the 360s' MCE save slot.  

I noticed when I started that I had MCE2005 without the rollup 2 update; after I installed MCE, it was updated to rollup 2 after a reboot, which requires different MC extender software...  I think this all just got all screwed up in the process.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

EDIT: Just saw your most recent post. That may be why. I remember they had the MCE2k5+SP2 download and the MCE2k5+Sp2 Update rollup 2 download. Did you try the one thats just sp2 or the update rollup 2 updater?

This post has been edited by Mjkthirdeye: Feb 24 2006, 11:25 PM

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Feb 24 2006, 01:54 PM) *

EDIT: Just saw your most recent post. That may be why. I remember they had the MCE2k5+SP2 download and the MCE2k5+Sp2 Update rollup 2 download. Did you try the one thats just sp2 or the update rollup 2 updater?

In all honesty, I don't know... after I ran the MCE-setup program, the rollup 2 appeared in my tray as an update waiting to be installed; so I let that run, rebooted, and now Media Center on my PC says it's "MCE2005 Update Rollup 2"

MS really should have made this less ridiculous.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(0db @ Feb 24 2006, 04:18 PM) *

In all honesty, I don't know... after I ran the MCE-setup program, the rollup 2 appeared in my tray as an update waiting to be installed; so I let that run, rebooted, and now Media Center on my PC says it's "MCE2005 Update Rollup 2"

MS really should have made this less ridiculous.

Ok, you did download the x360extender update here:
Download page

Correct?

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Feb 24 2006, 02:24 PM) *

Ok, you did download the x360extender update here:
Download page

Correct?

Yessir.  I downloaded the one for MCE2005 withOUT the update rollup... which is an 80 meg file, and which apparently includes the rollup in the install.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(0db @ Feb 24 2006, 04:38 PM) *

Yessir.  I downloaded the one for MCE2005 withOUT the update rollup... which is an 80 meg file, and which apparently includes the rollup in the install.

Well damn, I be stumped. When you went to retry the setup did you delete the mce save on the 360 before retrying?

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Feb 24 2006, 02:43 PM) *

Well damn, I be stumped. When you went to retry the setup did you delete the mce save on the 360 before retrying?

I tried that a couple of times, but by that point I may have screwed other stuff up too bad already.  I'm going to clean EVERYTHING and try again.  There's nothing in my system that should be blocking communications.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(0db @ Feb 24 2006, 04:55 PM) *

I tried that a couple of times, but by that point I may have screwed other stuff up too bad already.  I'm going to clean EVERYTHING and try again.  There's nothing in my system that should be blocking communications.

Yeah, It seems everything is fine, yet...

Well, I dunno what else to tell you other than good luck! lol Hope you get it figured out.

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

Question

Is your MCE2005 retial or pirated?

I see lots of poeple with pirated copies having problems

hitman24

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

Will Meida Center Endtion is just XP Pro with added sotfware like the 64bit and teabit PC Enditons. Meida Center Endtion can be tickely I konw because I installed it myself.  The only issuse I have ever ran alcaose with X-BOX 360 and Meida Cneter Endtion was playing Dvix and Xvid files. This may go away becuase romer has it the that Windows Vista will have an X-BOX 360 version, but it's to soon to tell.

0db

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kernal69er @ Feb 24 2006, 03:37 PM) *

Question

Is your MCE2005 retial or pirated?

I see lots of poeple with pirated copies having problems

no, it's clean but I did have updates disabled for a long time because it drives me crazy, I may just not be entirely caught up.  I'm really stumped but I'll take a fresh look at it, with a clean reinstall of windows if I have to.

hitsndc202

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

I had the same issue. "Odb" If you wanna get this working its simple. open up media center devive manager. in there, select "add new extender" do not use add 360, that nvr worked for me. follow the process as usual, I believe this will work, it has for me. I had tried so so so long trying to use that add xbox360 way. It doesnt work my my comp. So just use add new extender, and you'll be ok  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)