xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Linux, Mac, x64 Streaming Solution for the 360  (Read 707 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
A Linux, Mac, x64 Streaming Solution for the 360
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »

A Linux, Mac, x64 Streaming Solution for the 360-- Posted by XanTium on December 23 23:06 EST
Xbox360FanBoy.com posted about an alternative for Windows Media Connect:

It won't stream video, but TwonkyVision's UPnP MediaServer software will stream music and photos to the Xbox 360 from a variety of platforms, including Linux and Mac OS X. This is great news for users of alternative computing platforms who have thus far been unable to duplicate the functionality of even an iPod or PSP on their 360. TwonkyVision lists the 360 under supported "Media Players" writing "Microsoft only allows to stream music and pictures. Microsoft neither allows video streaming from Windows Media Connect Servers nor from 3rd party UPnP servers." So there you have it.

There's a version for Windows XP (it works on x64 too ... unlike Windows Media Connect (*update* aceboomer posted there's a way to make WMC work on x64, but it's not officially supported yet)), Mac OSX, Linux (several flavors) and also for a number of Network Attached Storage devices (NAS).
The downside is the application isn't free (20eur or ~24usd). There's trial version if you want to test it.

Official Site: http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/index.html
News-Source: xbox360fanboy.com

aceboomer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »

Actually, windows media connect does work for Windows X64.

http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre/arch...11/22/1523.aspx

This post has been edited by aceboomer: Dec 24 2005, 05:26 AM

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

Samba file sharing for the Xbox 360 would have just been so much easier...  sad.gif

BlueCELL

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

This is my current setup.

Got a Linksys NSLU2 (LINK)

This thing has been modified inside out because it uses Linux, so it has to be open source.  Anyway I bought a external hard drive that has 250GB which is connected to the NSLU2.  On the NLSU2 I have Twonkyvision installed which broadcasts the media to my Roku SoundBridge (LINK).

So with this have all my digital content broadcasted to my living room's big stero and now my Xbox 360.

BTW the NSLU2 uses samba so its like you have another computer attached to your network where you simply drag and drop the music on the other folder and then it'll be broadcasted.  This saves power too because you dont have to have your computer running 24/7 to broadcast music.

Any of yall need help w/ this lemme know.

This post has been edited by BlueCELL: Dec 24 2005, 06:05 AM

mckenn88

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »

that sound slike a lot of work... i'll stick with media connect  tongue.gif

jherre6

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

I can confirm this works!!!!

With macosx...

After you install to configure go to

http://127.0.0.1:9000/  That wasn't too obvious in the installer...
23 bucks is a little too steep for me though....  

jherre6

dieseldk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(BlueCELL @ Dec 24 2005, 06:11 AM) *

This is my current setup.

Got a Linksys NSLU2 (LINK)

This thing has been modified inside out because it uses Linux, so it has to be open source.  Anyway I bought a external hard drive that has 250GB which is connected to the NSLU2.  On the NLSU2 I have Twonkyvision installed which broadcasts the media to my Roku SoundBridge (LINK).

So with this have all my digital content broadcasted to my living room's big stero and now my Xbox 360.

BTW the NSLU2 uses samba so its like you have another computer attached to your network where you simply drag and drop the music on the other folder and then it'll be broadcasted.  This saves power too because you dont have to have your computer running 24/7 to broadcast music.

Any of yall need help w/ this lemme know.

Can you get media from the nslu2 to xbox360?

oskie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »

Shameless plug (I'm not making any money from my software though): If you have a 360 and is running linux on some PC, please try GMediaServer out! It's an free software replacement for twonkyvision upnp musicserver.

Oskar

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

Has anyone tried GMediaServer and verified it works?

Element

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

Ive tried gmediaserver on gentoox, however xbox360 doesnt see it, not saying it wont work but would be great if you could clue us in to getting it working if it does Oskar.

BlueCELL

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(dieseldk @ Dec 25 2005, 01:50 AM) View Post

Can you get media from the nslu2 to xbox360?

Yes, works as if its the Windows Media Connect thing.
Its a bit of a pain to setup but once you got it, its really nice..

If you go to the TwonkyVision website they have a list of NAS (Network Attached Storage Devices) that the software works with.  I'd recommand the Baffalo because all that crap is integrated plus you can use it as a print server

dieseldk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(BlueCELL @ Dec 26 2005, 05:59 AM) *

Yes, works as if its the Windows Media Connect thing.
Its a bit of a pain to setup but once you got it, its really nice..

If you go to the TwonkyVision website they have a list of NAS (Network Attached Storage Devices) that the software works with.  I'd recommand the Baffalo because all that crap is integrated plus you can use it as a print server

I have a nslu2 whit unslung firmware does it work on what only

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »

I gave gmediaserver a shot, no go. I'm quite unfarmiliar with UPnP, I'd assume there'd have to be a tcp/udp port specified somewhere. gmediaserver forces you to choose one upon startup, but I then don't see anything bound to that port (via netstat). Docs indicate you have to add a route for multicast traffic, which I did (freebsd = route add -net 239.0.0.0/8 -interface fxp0)

Anyone else tried any of the other open source ones? (many listed on gmediaserver's home page):Most of these are based on the upnp library at sourceforge (http://upnp.sourceforge.net/). I tried a few, but the configure scripts fail on my platform (FreeBSD).

I'm going to try more, and look at the spec a bit further. I tested Twonky's trial, but it wont' read from network drives, just like Windows Media Connect. They also don't have FreeBSD binaries, although they probably easily could if they put a few minutes into it. $20 for something like this seems excessive since all of this stuff is open source and free already.

Anyone else with comments on getting some other open source solution working, please post.

--falz

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »

A few more notes about attempting to get these other services to work..

Intel has a free SDK for uPNP right here. It includes a sniffer of upnp traffic, which is nice. It shows server(s) (MediaServer) and clients (MediaRenderer) on your network, what their responses are, and the urls it uses (it appears to be all XML based stuff).

I've sniffed a bunch of this with this tool and etherreal, but haven't found what twonky is doing vs what gmedia server is doing. I can say that you do have to specifiy the "interface" in the gmediaserver settings, or it will respond with an IP of 0.0.0.0 as a destination address to get xml files, which obviously isn't valid.

I'm going to see if the gmediaserver author will respond with any debugging I can do to get it supported. This one would be preferred for any of us *nix people, since it works on Linux and FreeBSD.

--falz

Element

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »

yea I got a Gentoo box id be willing to try on
Pages: [1] 2 3