xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Mc And Windows Xp On The Same Machine  (Read 162 times)

aesp533262

• Archived User
Windows Mc And Windows Xp On The Same Machine
« on: December 11, 2005, 05:49:00 AM »

wanted to know if someone can give me some info on installing Windows MC and Windows XP on the same machine. i dont really like Windows MC so i want to be able to switch back and fourth for use with the 360. Unless someone gives me a good reason to just keep windows mC

rip93

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »

It's not a problem.  Just installed it yesterday.  Dual Boot.

tiggersbowl1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »

I just took an old xbox drive, loaded media center on it, and then from the cmos either allow it to boot to the ata drive, or disable it, and allow my sata drive to boot.

I then have access to all the info on both drives, regardless of what drive booted, only trouble is, I have to restart machine to go from one to the other...

This post has been edited by tiggersbowl1: Dec 11 2005, 06:56 PM

Jeep75

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »

Check out virtual PC or VMWare you can run Media Center in a window on your current XP config.

dracus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

I never thought about that...VMware. Of course, ther performance whould have to suck though through vmware.

gamefeen

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

A good reason would be that its just Windows XP with Media Center features.

If you want both on the same machine, you'll have to install MC to another drive. If you only have one your gonna have to partion the drive. Make the Partition like 10gigs. Then install it on that. biggrin.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(aesp533262 @ Dec 11 2005, 07:49 AM) View Post

Unless someone gives me a good reason to just keep windows mC

well, i find the need to reboot my comp every time i want to stream a movie enough cause to pick one windows or the other. keep in mind the 360's media center is a bit picky about what you can stream. it doesn't do divx/xvid/ogm files like the xbox media center does. if you have an original modded xbox lieing around, i'd say use that for your streaming and just make a network share in your regular windows xp.

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

There's a more elegant way to do it. If you have the installation media for Windows Media Center (2005 in this example) you can create your own installer and install it on XP or Win2k3 server.

http://www.thegreenb...MessageID=78447

I did this, it worked fine. Essentially you gather up dll's and such that come from the installer, create a batch file to copy things over, and you do an install. The only semi-difficult step is you have to install some free debugging software from MS to dissassemble/reassemble Media Center's .exe to no longer do a check to see if it really is on the Media Center version of windows. Again, this all works fine, I run it this way currently.

--falz