xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect....working!  (Read 157 times)

grkfire

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect....working!
« on: December 07, 2005, 05:57:00 AM »

Well, after many weeks of trying to figure out how to get it to see my pc & vice versa, here is how it went down:

Network:
Running a DI-524 (old & crappy I know)
Original Xbox bridge - MN-740
Everything automatic (DHCP)

While trying to install the Xbox 360 setup from: http://download.MS.c...oxXPSP2-ENU.exe

I would get the dreaded error screen towards the end that the Xbox could not be detected and it wouldnt finish the install.  I still opened up WMC and saw that it wouldn't allow me to start sharing folders.  It just wouldnt start.  In various other posts I've seen to go to the "run" command and type "services.msc" and start the following services:

HTTP SSL
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
SSDP Discovery Service

The problem that I had is that the SSDP & Plug & play would start.  It would say something about it not being able to start due to the host service (HTTP SSL) not being in the same local service, sorry I can't remember.  But the point is, this is how I got past this part.

Go to your control panel & uninstall WMC.

Hit Start

Then run

Then type "services.msc" without the quotes, hit enter.

Find the following service:
HTTP SSL
Go to the logon tab, tick local system account (I also ticked allow to interact with desktop)
Go back to your general tab, select startup type as automatic and start the service.  Click ok.

Then find the next service:
SSDP Discovery Service
Go to the logon tab, except with this one, tick "select this account", click browse, click advanced, click find now and locate the Name (RDN) that says "local service".  Highlight that click ok twice and you should be back at the logon tab.  You have to retype whatever your pc's logon password is and confirm it.  
Go back to your general tab, select startup type as automatic and start the service.  Click ok.

Repeat for Universal Plug and Play Device Host

I was able to get those services started that way.  At this point (I dont know if this is necessary but it doesn't hurt) I rebooted everything, PC, router, xbox router, etc....

When I logged back I noticed I already had ICS.  (must have been from my previous attempts to get this working)

I ran the Xbox 360 setup again and voila!!!  The PC saw the 360!!   laugh.gif But the 360 wouldn't see the PC!!  ARGH!!!!

Quick fix to that was reboot the Xbox & the MN-740.  Everything works now.

I hope all of the above will work for at LEAST one other person.  After calls to MS, searching endlessly on this and many other boards, I had to wing it myself.