xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Center Vs Media Connect  (Read 151 times)

Hyp3rion

• Archived User
Media Center Vs Media Connect
« on: December 03, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

I have a Win XP machine with media connect installed and my 360 can play my mp3's and view pictures just fine and dandy (even though the dashboard is a little ugly compared to my xbmc). Only problem is that the little windows button on the remote control is soo cute and is just begging to be pressed  tongue.gif  Appart from the obvious difference of being able to stream wmv using XP MCE are there any additional benifits over a XP machine with just media connect? When using the mce feature does it use a different type of dashboard and does it look the same as mce does on the pc?
Thanx
Hyp

InflatableMouse

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

I had XP in a domain environment with media connect. Worked like charm. Wanted to stream video so I installed MCE only to find out that I can't join a domain anymore. Hacked that, joined the domain then found out the xbox couldn't connect anymore. Back to square one. This whole MCE crap is starting to get on my nerves, especially after finding out that it can't really deal with 10's of gigabytes of MP3's. It also confuses album names with artists names and vice versa, and when browsing by artist name it doesn't properly show album names and tells me to browse by song titles. Well, just my Stones collection contains 50 albums, and it wants me to browse by song!  uhh.gif

I'm not sure what else to do, maybe the best thing to do is use Media Connect and wait for another proggie to show up that will stream video to the xbox. IMNSHO, MCE *&^%$# big time!  rolleyes.gif

blinky2134

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

Could itnot be the MP3 ID tags that are confusing the XBOX? I have got a Phillips MP3 player and it will only accept ID3V1 tags. If the MP3 has V1 and V2 it can get very confusing as XP thinks everything is hunky dory (It uses V2) but the phillips shows everything out of order as some tracks have only V2 and some have V1 and V2

InflatableMouse

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »

Possibly, yeah. I wasn't aware of version 1 and 2 of ID tags, but I did notice that once I cleared the extended tags things looked better. It's slow as a dog with the many files I have, but at least its starting to show albums as albums and artists as artists.

Still, when I choose artists, then albums nothing shows up and it tells me to browse by songs. That's lame if you ask me.

And there's another thing. I choose albums, it shows the album and songs. Fine. And the order is good too. But as soon as I select play album it screws up the order. I have to go to playlist and manually select the first song to start playing it in the right order. Now that's lame too if you would ask me.

steve008

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

How do you clean up the id tags so that it reads then better. I have a similar problem 30+ albumns on my pc but it screws then all up!