xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect  (Read 1094 times)

Jt Martin 17

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2006, 04:49:00 AM »

After long hours of testing and searching to try to get my xbox 360 connected to my WMC, I finally found something that worked for me and it seems to be very simple. When I first tried to connect my Xbox 360 to my computer with my Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router and my Linksys WGA54G Game Adapter it worked. But after a couple of days it stopped working and I couldn't get Media Center or even the shared music and pictures to work  uhh.gif . My 360 just wouldn't connect to my pc. So I decided to sit down and start testing. I noticed a lot of posts say that it works with a wired connecting but not a wireless. So I tried the wire and YAY it worked  smile.gif . But I wanted the wireless connection. So I reset my Dsl modem my Router and my Game adapter and re-configured them using the software it came with. After that it still didn't work, and I couldn't even sign on to Xbox Live because my ip wasn't valid for my Xbox  mad.gif  grr.gif . So after a few more router resets and configurations I found out that my Game Adapter was being over taken by my wireless HP printer which had the same IP. I thought computers were smart enough to pick an IP that isn't already in use but i guess not  huh.gif . So I turned off my printer and any other wireless adapters or computers I had hooked up then re configured my Game Adapter. After that SUCESS!!!! I am assuming that the reason the wired connections worked for everyone and the wireless didn't is because of a conflict with other wireless devices connected to my network. After I had my Game adapter set up I reset all of the other devices IPs so there was no conlift  laugh.gif . I hope this helps everyone cause it sure help me.

Fix in step form:

1. Turn off or disconnect any wireless devices connected to your network other than your Game adapter.

2. Re-configure your game adapter to an auto IP

3. Go to www.xbox.com/pcsetup, follow the instructions

4. Test setting on Xbox
           5. Reconnect wireless devices with xbox still on and set different IPs (as is not the same ip as your xbox)

Hope it helps.  smile.gif  

360mad

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(neineinei @ Dec 17 2005, 12:49 PM) View Post

I also have connection problems. My Xbox does not see the PC and vise versa. Getting nuts about this.... can those where it works confirm, that they can ping their xboxes? Because i can't. At the moment i'm also at the point to say that it must be a software problem in MCE or the Xbox360...

*edit*
Forgot to say, that i did a complete reinstall of mce, disabled firewall and installed nothing other than raw drivers...

HI im in thre same boat in ping my xbox and it fails, i cannot gonnect to my 360, I have no firewall
I have my xbox 1 working fine throu the same ethernet card why am i getting problems with the 360???

Did you get yours sorted out?

aurrea

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »

ANYONE TRY THIS FIX?

I'm not sure if anyone has taken the suggestion from earlier in this thread but it WORKS.   I have had problems (up until yesterday) with not being able to connect via WMC.   I went to add "windows components" and installed the UPNP from the networking options.   As soon as it was installed WMC works flawlessly.    biggrin.gif

KAC

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

I had the same problem most of you had.

I use the Linksys WRT54G wired to my Xbox 360.  I was able to connect to LIVE but I could not get my PC to "Authorize" the Xbox 360.  After hours of frustration, I did the following and all worked:

1. In the Windows taskbar (near the clock), right-click the Windows Media Connect icon, and then click Exit.
2. Verify that you are logged on to your computer as an administrator.
3. Click Start, and then click Run.
4. In the Open box, type cmd.
5. At the command prompt, type cd c:\windows\system32\, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type CACLS STDOLE2.TLB /E /G builtin\users:R, and then press ENTER.
    The following message is displayed:
    "processed file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\STDOLE2.TLB"
7. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Connect.

After this, all worked well.

KAC

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »

This is weird, after a couple of day, it stopped working.  I tried the above CMD thing again...nothing.  I rebooted a couple of times, nothing.

What was even more weird is how I fixed it.

I don't know what made me do this but I looked in the root of my C: drive.  I found a file called "Program".  It didn't have any extension or anything.  I deleted that file, rebooted, and all worked again.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I've googled and googled and can't for the life of me find anything that shows me where that "Program" file came from.

This post has been edited by KAC: Jan 27 2006, 07:07 PM

BennyBall

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

HELP!!!  sad.gif

So, I've tried every suggestion from every post I can find and STILL can't seem to connect.  The PC can't see the 360 and the 360 can't see the PC.  I'm curious if anyone was able to connect with my hardware setup...

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G (v4 firmware) wireless router attached to a Arescom NetDSL modem.
Router is running DHCP
My PC IP is ...2.100
My 360 IP is ...2.101
my computer (XP SP2) is wired to the router.
360 is connected wirelessly to the router through a Linksys WGA11B wireless game adapter.

MS firewall has all appropriate ports open
UPNP service is up and running
Router firewall is disabled
Router has UPNP enabled
I set my 360 in DMZ

PC is running McAfee VirusScan, but it's not blocking any of the necessary ports.

I don't know what else to try. I can connect to XBL flawlessly, but cannot seem to get the WMC to work. I've even used a cable to connect the 360 to the router. I can still get out on XBL this way, but WMC still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

KolNedra

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »

Man why is MS making it so hard for all of us.
My issue:

Xbox is connected with my pc through a UTP cable and my pc is connected to the internet.
XBOX live is working perfectly.
Windows Media Connect is working nicely (I've got it running and I can play music on the XBOX360 from my shared folders on my computer)

When I go to the computer settings on my xbox360 (settings tab, below "Network settings"). The "windows based pc" is recognized, but the "windows media centre" isn't.

I've got all the latest windows updates installed on my XP:sp2 and (see above) installd the WMC. But my xbox still won't recognize my pc as a Media Centre.
If I open the mediacentre section on the xbox, it just "stops" at the screen where it says I need to install that www.xbox.com/pcsetup/ thingy. During that screen I succesfully installed the WMC, but still no response from my xbox360.

Sound familiar to anyone?

xbox360xbox

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »

Hi All,

I had this exact problem and after many hours of pulling my hair out I suddenly worked out what the problem is?

It's all down to the communcation between x360 ---> Router(Gateway) and Router(Gateway) ---> PC IP addresses and how you set it up on each unit.

Here are my settings:

Xbox 360 Manual Settings:
IP Address: 192.168.002.001
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Gateway IP Address: 192.168.002.001 - This is your routers address

Router(Gateway) Manual Settings:
IP Address: 192.168.002.005
You will need to put your Xbox outside of your routers firewall if one is built in, within your router you will find a feature called DMZ, all you need to do is insert the Xbox's IP address in this feature and enable it.
This allows the NAT router to have an open connection on your Xbox for excellent online game play.

PC/Laptop Manual Settings:
Change your wireless TCP properties.
IP Address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Gateway IP Address: 192.168.002.005

Next you have to check the exceptions in the firewall/s for 'Windows Media Connect', the best way to make sure that they have been set is to delete all the entries for it and download a fresh copy of Windows Media Connect XBOX 360 S/W ----> Here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/XPSP2.htm and install it after you have made this last change to your PC.

You need to setup you home network if you have not already done so, goto Network connections -  Set up a home or small office network and follow the wizard and reboot.

Next reboot your Xbox and Router.

Next install the Windows Media Connect XBOX  360 S/W that you downloaded earlier, follow the wizard to the finish and then Windows Media Connect will pop up, if it says 'Folder sharing Started' then simply test the media connection on your xbox with the manual settings you have put in.

If the folder sharing has not started, go into the Windows Media Connect settings and click start, some times it refuses to connect, just keep clicking the start button until it connects(usually 3 times).

Thats it, you should be all done, now goto the Xbox dashboard and select a feature in media.

Good Luck....!

Any questions, just ask - I have done these settings 5 times now and have had no problems.

QUOTE(KolNedra @ Feb 1 2006, 12:26 PM) *

Man why is MS making it so hard for all of us.
My issue:

Xbox is connected with my pc through a UTP cable and my pc is connected to the internet.
XBOX live is working perfectly.
Windows Media Connect is working nicely (I've got it running and I can play music on the XBOX360 from my shared folders on my computer)

When I go to the computer settings on my xbox360 (settings tab, below "Network settings"). The "windows based pc" is recognized, but the "windows media centre" isn't.

I've got all the latest windows updates installed on my XP:sp2 and (see above) installd the WMC. But my xbox still won't recognize my pc as a Media Centre.
If I open the mediacentre section on the xbox, it just "stops" at the screen where it says I need to install that www.xbox.com/pcsetup/ thingy. During that screen I succesfully installed the WMC, but still no response from my xbox360.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]