xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect  (Read 1095 times)

Kernal69er

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

Did some extensive testing..
PC wired to 360 works fine
PC wired to hub/switch to 360 works fine
PC wired to Linksys WRTG54 Router to 360 works fine
Problem is when PC is wireless to Router or 360 wireless to router then it doesn't connect
Not sure if this is a Linksys router wireless issue with 360 or a issue with my adaptor. I will buy another one from futureshop and test it out. But so far as long as its wired, it works fine

tonloc79

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

My PC and 360 are both wired but there is a wireless pc hooked up to my router. Do you think that could be causing interference?

Chodite

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »

To make things even MORE complicated -

I have 2 laptops on my wireless network.  One laptop (WinXP Home SP2) works just fine with Windows Media Connect and my 360.  I can stream MP3s and view JPGs just fine.  

My other laptop (WinXP Pro SP2) sees the 360 using Media Connect but I can't get the 360 to talk to this laptop.  

My 360 is hard wired into my Netgear / Comcast wireless modem/router.

The funny thing is, the 360 sees the laptop on the network.  I went into the 360's system / network *?* settings and it said "Windows connected PC - (my computer name)"   But when I try to stream media, no luck.    The other laptop is shut off when I attempt this btw.

I have nooo idea what to do.  I've disabled Windows firewall, shut down every piece of Mcafee, Norton, etc. I found running.  Opened every port MS says to open and added the 360 to the DMZ of my router.  STILL no luck.  I'm about to pull my freakin hair out, it's driving me nuts!!

This post has been edited by Chodite: Dec 5 2005, 01:00 AM

Kernal69er

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(tonloc79 @ Dec 4 2005, 04:32 PM) View Post

My PC and 360 are both wired but there is a wireless pc hooked up to my router. Do you think that could be causing interference?

Depends... is media connect on your wireless laptop? If so then maybe. If not then NO

I purchased a switch today and ran CAT5 to my PC (htru the garage up to the family room, pain in the ass) So now I have my Linksys router in the BSMT with CAT5 to living room (for 360) and CAT5 to Family room above garage (upstairs) to switch, which is then connected to PC and extar port for 360 (for when I play upstairs)

Now, media connect and 360 work fine no problems from living room or family room.
I conencted back my wireless adaptor and Nothing worked again. Removed wireless adaptor and worked fine.

Wireless adaptor si now on ebay, lol  rolleyes.gif

I'm not saying that all wireless adaptors will cause thsi problem, but it did for me. And my wireless adaptor is a Linksys certified Xbox game adaptor, go figure

Other setup I have is
Static IPs (shouldn't matter if your using static or DHCP)
360 is setup a DMZ (better for online gaming, all ports open)

Hope some of this helps

Try some elimination first
Conenct 360 to PC via Ethernet directly (definelty should work, if not then you either have a firewall, bad cables or defective 360)
Then go from there

tuknuh

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

akodoreign's advice works...

and make sure you TURN OFF any firewall while testing this... because Sygate would block the connection EVEN though you told it to allow ALL (strange)...

and also... go to windows update (before doing the above, and get the media center 2005 update)

tiggersbowl1

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 05:36:00 AM »

I just got mine connected.  I will share what I did and hopefully will work for a few people.

I ran through all the network settings several times, setup my wireless network, left my firewall on the whole time.

Tested several times with no results worth talking about.  This whole time the 360 was showing up on my computer, but the computer couldn't be found by the 360.  I could feel someone at m$ laughing at me.sad.gif

Went to the media page on the 360, went to media connect, past that code, which I never even used...

Setup the mediacenter it tells you to setup on the following page, after the code, and then went back to the media page on the 360.  Went to the music tab, picked my computer, and then started streaming some music.

Good luck.

Wall_Fodder

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

Here's an interesting tidbit. I also could not get my pc to see my 360 and vice versa under WinXP. I have my computer setup to dual boot XP Pro and XP 64bit. Followed instructions I found to install WMC under 64 bit XP and now my 360 sees my pc and my pc sees my 360. Nothing else changed, just the os. I can stream music now to my hearts content.

The Dementor

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

Had the same problem, which i have managed to resolve, so maybe this may help somebody.

I'm using norton internet secruity, and it appears this was the problem, i tried disabling it, turning off firewalls etc, but no luck.

So i completly un-installed it, and suddenly my 360 saw the PC, so obvioulsy the problem was being caused by Norton.

But not too hapy about not having norton installed so played around more.....

I set a static IP on the 360, and the configured the firewall rules in norton to allow connections from that static IP, and subnet. But when you create a the new rule you need to move the rule to the top of the list, or else the 360 still won't see the PC, as one of the lower rules is blocking. As on norton, the higher rules have priority.

So summing up i guess a lot of peoples problems are being caused by a firewall, even when disabled. At least try unistalling for a moment and see if that recitifies the problem, if it does then your making progress.

Wall_Fodder

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

OK...I decided to fool around in regular XP Pro tonight to see if I could get this working because that's what I normally have running.

I don't have Norton Internet Security like Dementor, but I do have Norton Antivirus. I tried turning off auto protect before with no joy. Tonight I discovered that if I went into the options for NAV and turned off internet worm protection, Media Connect works fine.

If your having problems with Media Connect not seeing your pc and vice versa, and you have NAV running, give that a try and see if it helps you.

punda

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(journeyman11 @ Dec 1 2005, 02:49 AM) View Post

We're using Windows Media Connect on XP Home/Pro, not Media Center Edition.  So, our setup is a bit different than that.

What's weird for me is that my 360 can see my PC IMMEDIATELY after I power cycle my router.  However, once I restart my 360 it fails to see the PC again and only works if I power cycle my router and 'search for PC' from 360 again.

*sigh*

Have you resolved this.  I have the same problem. BTW, I'm using a bridge to connnect the xbox to my wireless network.

neineinei

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »

I also have connection problems. My Xbox does not see the PC and vise versa. Getting nuts about this.... can those where it works confirm, that they can ping their xboxes? Because i can't. At the moment i'm also at the point to say that it must be a software problem in MCE or the Xbox360...

*edit*
Forgot to say, that i did a complete reinstall of mce, disabled firewall and installed nothing other than raw drivers...

This post has been edited by neineinei: Dec 17 2005, 02:20 PM

VeggetoX

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »

Ok My Xbox 360 does not see my PC and the PC can't find the Xbox 360 my network is wired like this I got a cord comming from the cable modem to my Hub wich is a netgear EN104TP a little 10mbps 4 port hub. Then from there I got wires running to the PC the Xbox and the Xbox 360. I have no problems with live just on connecting with Windows media connect. I tried running the install file for XP SP2 which I have and during the setup when it says authorizing xbox 360 it tells me it could not find it. I am running McAfee internet security 2006. I have the windows firewall turned off and the McAfee firewall turned off, but I still get these problems does anyone know what the problem might be?

kablue2000

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »

hello

im running windows xp,i have got media connect to see the xbo360 but cant vice versa,i have tried turning firewalls off(both mcaffe2005 and windows)but still no luck.

I cant get on to xbox live or nothing.I can get the ip address to work but nothing else.I am useing 2 network cards with crossover cable

any help please!!

The Dementor

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »

KaBlue2000 - Have you got Internet connection sharing enabled?

I have the same set up as you, so one nic is my broadband connection(enable ICS on this), and the second is my connection to the 360 with a static IP. Live works without a problem. But have had problems with media connect, but this resolved only by completly un-installing Norton internet secruity, turning of the firewall did not work. All works fine though with windows firewall.

Junglist_Refugee

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

here is how I got mine workng over wireless:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t466532.html

no problem!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5