xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect  (Read 1096 times)

tonloc79

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »

Ok i like alot of people are haveing a horrible time getting my 360 to recognize my PC and vice versa. It says to hook your 360 up to your home network. Is that the same as just plugging it into my router or what. Anyways i got a PC running XP Pro with SP2 and completely updated, a wireless Netgear router(but my 360 is wired into it), and of course my 360. Im thinking i gotta go into my pc and create a home network but am not sure how to do it. Also does my 360 need to be plugged into my PC for a home network or can it be networked through the router? Any and all help would be appreciated. uhh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif PS: I have read every post and topic that has come through here, folowed all suggestions and still no luck.

journeyman11

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

I can't stand it either.  I haven't played a game in four days because I spend the time I'd be playing messing with this networking crap instead.

akodoreign

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:36:00 PM »

hmmm after connecting the xbox and the PC to the network do the following.

Make sure the xbox is in media center mode. go to the media center button and get the code it generates.
write it down.

go to the next screen witch says Leave the 360 on this screen untill you set your PC up.

Go to your pc... then launch a web browser.
in the address bar go to www.xbox.com/pcconnect

from that website select the version you need.
save the program
run the program.
the program will set up everything you need to share. It will then ask for the number generated by the 360
It will run media connect service.
It will show your 360 as a device
then it will ask you if there are any folders you want to share.
bingo.
that should do it.

check ports.
Norton firewall is a h8r. make sure to open the ports needed (im not sure what they are off the top of my head)
Ports on the router. routers h8 the game as well.

journeyman11

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »

We're using Windows Media Connect on XP Home/Pro, not Media Center Edition.  So, our setup is a bit different than that.

What's weird for me is that my 360 can see my PC IMMEDIATELY after I power cycle my router.  However, once I restart my 360 it fails to see the PC again and only works if I power cycle my router and 'search for PC' from 360 again.

*sigh*

rastaman

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »

I have to rerun the setup on the pc everytime I want to connect to the xbox.  If the xbox is restarted it looses the connection and can not find the pc when I go back to the media center section.  I gave up, Im guessing something is broken and needs to be fixed in a software update.

tonloc79

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »

hmmm after connecting the xbox and the PC to the network do the following.

Make sure the xbox is in media center mode. go to the media center button and get the code it generates.
write it down.

go to the next screen witch says Leave the 360 on this screen untill you set your PC up.

Go to your pc... then launch a web browser.
in the address bar go to www.xbox.com/pcconnect

from that website select the version you need.
save the program
run the program.
the program will set up everything you need to share. It will then ask for the number generated by the 360
It will run media connect service.
It will show your 360 as a device
then it will ask you if there are any folders you want to share.
bingo.
that should do it.

check ports.
Norton firewall is a h8r. make sure to open the ports needed (im not sure what they are off the top of my head)
Ports on the router. routers h8 the game as well.

Im hopeing any body who is haveing problems has at least tried that.

This post has been edited by tonloc79: Dec 1 2005, 02:49 AM

akodoreign

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

Sorry sad.gif just trying to help.

tonloc79

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(akodoreign @ Dec 1 2005, 02:57 AM) View Post

Sorry sad.gif just trying to help.

no i appreciate it trust me this shit is rediculous. They are both MS and everybody is still haveing problems. Go figure.

prlr99

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »

I have worked on it all day today, save XboxXPSP2 and run it just dissappears.So I have looked at all the issues on the forums still can't get it to work grrrrr  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

FWIW I haven't had any problems with mine... maybe I can help...

My Network Details
I have a Linksys router set to: 192.168.1.1
I have the Network setup STATICALLY on my Xbox360 to 192.168.1.60
I have the Network setup STATICALLY on my PC to 192.168.1.100

My PC is always on and as of this moment is showing me an uptime of 21 days (so it's been on longer than this program's been installed). My router is always on too, I haven't touched it in weeks.

I downloaded WMC from the MS website

Installed it

Booted up the 360 and went into the dashboard

Went back to my PC and added the 360 to the list of allowed devices

selected the folders I wanted to share.

Went back to the Xbox and selected Computer from the list of places to look for media..

commenced Streaming of music

I've shut down and booted back up the Xbox several times since and had no problems re-connecting

The reason I have the IPs statically set is because I have several routers on my network and without statically setting the IP and Gateway to the router I'm attempting to connect to devices typically get confused and connect to the wrong thing.

tonloc79

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »

Probably a dumb question but does anybody know what the "error status codes" mean?

Kernal69er

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 30 2005, 09:24 PM) View Post

FWIW I haven't had any problems with mine... maybe I can help...

My Network Details
I have a Linksys router set to: 192.168.1.1
I have the Network setup STATICALLY on my Xbox360 to 192.168.1.60
I have the Network setup STATICALLY on my PC to 192.168.1.100

My PC is always on and as of this moment is showing me an uptime of 21 days (so it's been on longer than this program's been installed). My router is always on too, I haven't touched it in weeks.
I downloaded WMC from the MS website

Installed it

Booted up the 360 and went into the dashboard

selected the folders I wanted to share.

Went back to the Xbox and selected Computer from the list of places to look for media..

commenced Streaming of music

I've shut down and booted back up the Xbox several times since and had no problems re-connecting

The reason I have the IPs statically set is because I have several routers on my network and without statically setting the IP and Gateway to the router I'm attempting to connect to devices typically get confused and connect to the wrong thing.

I have static IPs as well and still a no go, only if i connect my 360 with ethernet directly to my pc nic card

sp3cialk

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 30 2005, 09:24 PM) View Post

This is what I believe is stopping everyone... (well most people) check your XP firewall settings and make sure it is allowing this...

I think I may take a break from gaming tonight to reload my pc and see if I can get these problems as well... then maybe I can be more help... my network at home consist of this... Linksys router (in our make shift wiring closet  biggrin.gif ) ran to a switch (computer is on this one) from that switch to another switch I keep in my entertainment stand for consoles, etc. to my 360... all devices on my network are running DHCP... hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I'll have some info that may help  unsure.gif

i8crowts

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

it is common sense realy, use the winxp network config tool and see what happens ?

Kernal69er

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(i8crowts @ Dec 2 2005, 10:57 AM) View Post

it is common sense realy, use the winxp network config tool and see what happens ?

Yes it is... And to give you some feedback. I am an ADSL configuration analyst for a telecommunications company in Toronto. I configure ADSL WANs and custoemrs LANs, so I know what I am doing. I have a wireless setup at home. Like I posted earlier I got the xbox 360 to see my PC only once, since then nothing and the only way was to connect 360 to PC via NICs.

I have disabled all firewalls on my linksys router, PC and my ADSL router. Still nothing, I think it may be an issue with Linksys.. so I might hook up a switch or hub from 360 to PC for testing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5