xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Here's What's Happening With My 360  (Read 300 times)

journeyman11

• Archived User
Here's What's Happening With My 360
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »

1.  I go to the 'find computer' page on 360
2. Unplug/replug the power adapter to my router
3. After the connection gets reestablished, I 'search for computer' on 360
4.  My PC shows up and everything is great.  I can stream all day long except...
5.  ...if, at this point, I restart my 360 it fails to see my PC and I have to power cycle the router again.

Any ideas? Power cycling the router everytime I start the 360 is a pain and I know this isn't the way it should have to be.

journeyman11

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »

nevermind

journeyman11

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:21:00 AM »

Well LinkSys Customer Support was relatively useless.  

Any network savvy folks here who might know what changes in the few moments after a router is power cycled?  Like I said, I can connect immediately after a cycle, and only once.

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

If I connect my 360 directly (eithernet 2 ethernet, or switch ) to my PC everything is fine
If I run it thru my limksys router, its a no go, i think once out of 10 times it show my PC

journeyman11

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

I just got it connected(of course once I restart the 360 I'm screwed again) but I can't ping it.  Any ideas?  It's streaming but not able to be pinged?

akodoreign

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

Im just throwing this idea out there...
Set up the pc as a DMZ zone on your router...

(shrug) Im thinking its a router issue. maybe that will help....

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »

I have the Linksys WRT54G, and I upgraded the firmware, no change. (just some background, I work for a telecommunications company as an ADSL WAN/LAN configuration analyst)
My PC is using my old Xbox wireless game adaptor (since I never bother to buy a USB or wirelss NIC card) So I might be hard wiring the PC to the router to eliminate the wireless portion from teh equation.

Second,,, DO NOT set your PC as DMZ on your router,  this will open all Router ports/ firewall to your PC exposing it to the net (defeats the whole purpose have having the router to protect your PC)
Instead you should be setting your Xbox 360 (IP, use a static IP) as DMZ, this will expose the 360 to the net and allow all ports open, this will assist with lag
If you don't beleive me, we the 360 behind the router and do a network test from the 360 dash, you will see "NAT" come back as (fogoet report, but it won't be open) Then set your 360 as DMZ on the router and do the same test, "NAT" will be open which will allow better performance (but this won't affect the media connect part of the issue, I am looking at that, since it appears all of the poeple having problems are syuing the Limksys router)

journeyman11

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »

I just realized that it's connecting to my PC after a power cycle before the MODEM has established a solid connection.  So, only in the few moments before the three lights on the front of the modem hac stopped blinking is when it connects.  Any help?