xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Connect Can't Install. Please Help!  (Read 620 times)

itsame

• Archived User
Media Connect Can't Install. Please Help!
« on: November 23, 2005, 07:40:00 PM »

It is 12:30am, after 4 hours I finally figured out how to get the damn thing

running.  I feel really stupid now.

OK heres what I did:

After installing all the software at
http://www.xbox.com/...setup/XPSP2.htm it will say that it didn't work,
just wait it takes a long time.  Cancel out of the install.

Hit Start

Then run

Then type "services.msc" without the quotes, hit enter.

Find the following services and turn them all on...
HTTP SSL
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
SSDP Discovery Service

Then start the Windows Media Connect Service.

Boom, everything just starts working.

To start the services, right click on the name then hit properties.
From the "Startup type" dropdown list choose automatic then hit the start
button.

Hope it works for you!

tonloc79

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »

didnt work 4 me! sad.gif

moddingswede

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

Try opening these ports in Windows Firewall, or whatever firewall program you may have.

1900 UPnP Framework UDP  
3390 Remote Media Center Experience TCP  
3776 Media Center Extender Service UDP  
5555 Media Streaming TCP
7777 Network Validation UDP

Hope this helps! beerchug.gif  

few

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

I could get WMC to setup fine,but not connect to my PC. I could connect to Xbox Live just fine, but it could not find my Stupid Windows machine sitting right next to it. blink.gif
Here's what I did to get it to work (AT LAST!!!) tongue.gif (Including trying EVERYTHING so far in this thread, this worked the trick for me)
NOTE: I had to do BOTH of these steps. It appears both of these conditions must be met. I could not get it to work by doing just one or the other. Your mileage may vary.
1)-->TURN OFF INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING (If you had your PC set up to use XBMC with your Xbox, you may have had this option turned on. I hadto turn this off to get WMC to connect. Not 100% clear as to why, but it worked for me.
2)-->Enter the MAC address of the Xbox360 itself into the Alternate MAC Address setting under Additional Settings/Advanced Settings on your Xbox360. I used the Wired MAC Address of the Xbox360. (What it says on the lower left of the advanced settings page) Also check to be sure this MAC address matches the one under the properties for your Allowed Xbox360 in WMC.

Think of it like this- WMC is like one of those drivers at the airport holding up a sign with their client's name on it. XBox360 arrives at the airport with her assistant. The assistant spots the driver. "OK, we're here. Let's go." she says to him. The driver says, "Wait, who are you?" The assistant takes him literally and shows him her passport, with HER name on it, not XBox360's. "Sorry," says the driver, "you're not my customer".
Now, the assistant is flustered until suddenly she gets a call from The Office who tells her to use Xbox360's passport, not her own. The driver needs to see Xbox360's credentials. The assistant takes XBox360's passport and shows it to the driver, and off they go. happy.gif

(BTW, I'm using my original Xbox wireless adapter (model MN-740) with the cable that came with my Xbox360. If you can get to Live, your cable's fine. Haven't heard from any of these posters if they are using the new Xbox360 USB wireless adapter or their old one, like me.
HTH

FelixTheMod

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

Has anyone done it via direct connecting their PC to the 360 using their ethernet cable?  I don't know how to do that, because the 360 looks for IP address. And well, you are not on the web or anything.

I can't get it to work any other way so I thought I could try that sad.gif

few

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(FelixTheMod @ Nov 27 2005, 05:01 AM) View Post

Has anyone done it via direct connecting their PC to the 360 using their ethernet cable?  I don't know how to do that, because the 360 looks for IP address. And well, you are not on the web or anything.

I can't get it to work any other way so I thought I could try that sad.gif

This is what tipped me off to the MAC address thing. When I plugged the ethernet cable from my PC that I had going into my Xbox to my Xbox360, it worked (Since it was now seeing the Xbox360's MAC address as being connected,not the wireless bridge). After I entered the MAC address into the settings on the Xbox360, it worked wirelessly. (Internet Connection Sharing had to be off in either case)

zachg13

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »

i installed it and it worked fine. but it only worked that once and i havnt been able to get it to since.  i run the test and everything says its working. but it doesnt.

markten10

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(zachg13 @ Nov 28 2005, 05:16 PM) View Post

i installed it and it worked fine. but it only worked that once and i havnt been able to get it to since.  i run the test and everything says its working. but it doesnt.

I have tried everything on this thread but still no luck.  I've a wireless ADSL router and I'm using
a DLan network (through the house power grid).

The Xbox360 can connect to Xbox Live okay but it can't see the Media Center PC.  I tested the LAN cable by taking it out the Xbox and connecting it to a laptop.  The laptop was able to see the files on the Media Center PC no problems as well as connect through to the internet.

Can anyone help -

PoppaJr11

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 08:21:00 AM »

OMG, you guys rock, good call on the alt mac address.  I would of personally never thought of that easy fix.  Thanks  jester.gif