xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem With Windows Media Connect..  (Read 774 times)

VashTS

• Archived User
Problem With Windows Media Connect..
« on: November 22, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

When I saw in windows media connect that you can share mapped drives I was glad because all of my music is stored on a Windows 2003 server and windows media connect setup wouldn't run on that.

The problem is that when I share a mapped drive with MP3s on it, it just says no songs found. If I drag some songs from that folder to a local drive and share it, it works fine.

Anyone else tried sharing mapped drives or UNC paths?

Sniperman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »

ive had probems with that also, it wont see my mapped network drives on the 360, maybe they will get a patch for that or something.  its very frustrating.

SainT23

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »

word wont work for me either which sucks...... but i just connected my ipod to the xbox directly for my songs so its koo

panabax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:57:00 AM »

It worked for me.  I am running a Small Business Server 2003 and an XP Pro machine.  The content is on the server and I have mapped drives for pictures and music on the XP machine as well as Media Connect.  The music works fine, but the pictures suck (work but suck).  It shows all directories and sub directories together, so no directory browsing.  This means all my picture directors are in the "root" folder and many have the same name.  I use the directory structures for logical organization, which is gone.

All in all, it looks like MS did a pretty poor job of copying XBox Media Center.  Looks like my original version 1 XBox will have to hold the line for media purposes, because this box just doesn't get the job done.  

If MS would implament something with the functionality of XBMC on the 360, I'd put one in every room.  Since they haven't, I will just buy one.  However, since they are loosing $126 per unit, maybe that's what they want.  Maybe I will go buy three or four more (after the feeding frenzy is over) just to spite Bill Gates.

PanaBax

frottage

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »

Same thing here, tried 2 different PCs..one was XP Pro and the other MCE 2005.  I tried mapped drives from a unix server for music and pictures and got nothing.  I also tried an external drive connected via usb to MCE 2005 and sharing it with the xbox360 and was unable to see any of its contents (music).  I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of connection/sharing options so far.

few

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

What I'm seeing is the Xbox360 can't see shortcuts inside of shared folders, only actual shared folders.
Maybe if the mapped drives are also shared at the root (use at your own risk).
Anyway, I agree the file sysem for the Xbox360 blows Kong.  "Here's all your folders at the root". How useful.
Stupid Windows.

frottage

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(few @ Nov 27 2005, 08:11 PM) View Post

What I'm seeing is the Xbox360 can't see shortcuts inside of shared folders, only actual shared folders.
Maybe if the mapped drives are also shared at the root (use at your own risk).
Anyway, I agree the file sysem for the Xbox360 blows Kong.  "Here's all your folders at the root". How useful.
Stupid Windows.

I've trieed sharing at the root and still no dice

frottage

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(panabax @ Nov 23 2005, 08:57 AM) View Post

It worked for me.  I am running a Small Business Server 2003 and an XP Pro machine.  The content is on the server and I have mapped drives for pictures and music on the XP machine as well as Media Connect.  The music works fine, but the pictures suck (work but suck).  It shows all directories and sub directories together, so no directory browsing.  This means all my picture directors are in the "root" folder and many have the same name.  I use the directory structures for logical organization, which is gone.

All in all, it looks like MS did a pretty poor job of copying XBox Media Center.  Looks like my original version 1 XBox will have to hold the line for media purposes, because this box just doesn't get the job done.  

If MS would implament something with the functionality of XBMC on the 360, I'd put one in every room.  Since they haven't, I will just buy one.  However, since they are loosing $126 per unit, maybe that's what they want.  Maybe I will go buy three or four more (after the feeding frenzy is over) just to spite Bill Gates.

PanaBax

BTW, is your XP machine logging into the SBS2003 and using roaming profiles?  Just wondering if that is making a difference since "My Documents" (and its subfolders) would then really exist on the SBS when you log into the domain/ADS

DeaDSOuLz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »

Yeah Media connect is working for me, but they really need a way to set on the media connect side of 360 side, that this folder is for pictures, this folder is for music, this folder is for both, so on.  Cause it is really lame that it throws them all together, cause my music has covers in the folders, and it totally overpopulates my pictures area.  My guess is the functionality works better from a Windows Media Center O/S.   But they could considerably make media connect better.

This post has been edited by DeaDSOuLz: Nov 28 2005, 03:06 AM

biggr

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

oops

This post has been edited by biggr: Nov 28 2005, 08:25 PM

studley

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

Sorry to up this, but has anyone found a way to get this working yet?

I think I'm in the same boat:

Windows XP running Windows Media Connect. No problems connecting PC to Xbox, the Xbox will play music from my C drive without any problem.

However I've got a mapped network drive (Z:) which is being shared, the Xbox can't seem to find files which are on this drive...

Can anyone help? I've just shelled out $200 for a high capacity network drive thinking that this was the best idea sad.gif

InflatableMouse

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 04:05:00 AM »

I thought it was a simple matter of setting rights but appearently that is not the case. MCE on the xbox does not use the mapped network drives. Don't know about Media Connect yet. Tried it and wasn't working but I haven't digged into that yet. Will do later today I think.

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »

Came here to see if others were having the same issue. It appears that MS deliberately wrote the Media Connect software to not work from network drives.

WMC will not play from networked resources.  <snip>

Hope that helps,

--
Alan Ludwig
Software Design Engineer
Windows Media Devices Group
MS Corp.

The full thread is right here.

Re-Re Edit: fixed url, try this: http://groups.google.com/group/micro$...33b/533f3cf4d30
0f691
 (replace $ with s as the board won't permit tinyurl or the word "micro$oft" to be posted)

So, has anyone found any projects that have been built using their protocol, or anyone have any docs on the protocol? Obviously this should be useful primarily for non-windows users (FreeBSD, Linux, etc) as people with Windows shares could simply install that software on their server.

--falz

This post has been edited by falz: Dec 18 2005, 08:50 PM