xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Os X And Linux Users?  (Read 647 times)

bobbler

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

Was going to ask similar question myself. I have all my movies, music and pictures shared off a couple of NSLU2 on my network as I dont really want to have a pc running all the time for sharing my data to my laptop, the missus laptop and my Xbox. Maybe that someone comes up with some way of spoofing the Media Connect service from Linux with something like Twonyvision or similar I hope.

revs

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 03:25:00 AM »

Give it a few weeks, somone will figure it out. Luckily most linux stuff can be ported over to Mac OS X easily too, so be it linux or mac users that figure it out first - both sides will benefit..

HeavyC

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

Great, I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked.  If anybody learns of something please keep us posted.  

I'd like to try doing some packet captures of the 360 and see perhaps exactly what it trys to communicate with, but I don't have a great deal of experience with it.  We'll see what I can turn up with ethereal.  I should be getting my 360 tomorrow.

bobbler

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

sad.gif Getting a movie player to decode and push the network traffic is going to be too much to ask of my Linksys appliances...they only have a 133/266Mhz CPU!
Ah well, have to wait till I get my shuttle PC back from my bro and re-install media centre on it I think.

HeavyC

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »

You'd think photos and music should be possible though.  There's not really a lot of horsepower required for that.

PITABoy

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »

I really want to stream my mythtv video.

HeavyC

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »

This could potentially be a solution.  It at least seems to use the same technology.  I'm going to try out the free trial tonight.

http://mac.softpedia...ia-Server.shtml

And another.

http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/

If the 360 is just looking for a standard UPnP server over Port 1026, then I think there is a fair shot that this might work.

HeavyC

• Archived User
Os X And Linux Users?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »

I tried the first one of these UPnP servers last night over Port 1026 and it didn't work.  I think the 360 does some sort of initial call looking for a Windows System.