xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Compare Original Nand With Freeboot Nand  (Read 130 times)

antisniperspy

• Archived User
Compare Original Nand With Freeboot Nand
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

I was wondering if there is anyway to check to see if I built my freeboot image properly without actually flashing my xbox 360.  

Does this look normal?

IPB Image

Thanks

Sonic-NKT

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »

if you extracted a correct original nand, copied the correct files from your old nand into the folder with the clean 9199 dump, added a custom SMC for xbox and then run ibuild without any errors there should be no problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sonic-NKT @ May 24 2010, 07:05 PM) View Post

if you extracted a correct original nand, copied the correct files from your old nand into the folder with the clean 9199 dump, added a custom SMC for xbox and then run ibuild without any errors there should be no problems wink.gif

lol thanks i have a jasper 512 will the smc_jasper.bin for xbins work fine. I have heard bad things about some smc files.

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 4 2010, 08:06 PM) View Post

For my jasper512 I used the jasper smc from my xbr3 image and it checked identical to the one in the "SMC" folder in jtag tool.
I'm trying to do some temp/fan tests with 360 flash tool in tools, edit config, Backup Data/Values.
Any chance you can post your values in that area, I have no others to compare and my gpu readings have always been a bit high.
These are mine: 4055;97BB;CF4A;D674;404B;2574;5A4A;8D75. Thanks

Every time I build a new image using iBuild the first 4 bytes are always different in my smc_dec.bin

I have no clue that these mean but here are my temps.

080°C;071°C;073°C  -  095°C;090°C;092°C

What do these mean if you dont mind answering. My xbox never gets above 50C even on a warm day.

Thanks

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 4 2010, 08:57 PM) View Post

I'll do a swap of inf ,  I'll go first, lol.
I found the same with the start of my smc.bin, too after ibuild so don't worry, it just seems to be part of the process.

With the values you mention, the first 3 I believe they are the thresholds that the fans will start to speed up and the 2nd set of 3 are the overheat limits in the order of CPU/GPU/EDRAM.

If you can just post your GPU backup data values I would be greatful. They are the 3rd and 4th ones ie:  ;CF4A;D674 are my gpu ones

FA4A;9374; are mine. If you dont mind what are these going to do for you. What what do they show you about my/your gpu.

Thanks

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 5 2010, 02:03 AM) View Post

It may help me understand that the readings I get from my jasper are either correct or a calibration issue.

I will most likely try them to see the effect on the behavior of the gpu temperature readings and go from there.
Thanks for the info, good help is hard to find sometimes and I try to give where I can.

If you find out anything I would like to know. Im always interested in stuff like this. If you have any links that explains what each piece is in the smc config I would appricate it.

Thanks

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

No luck yet. I entered in the values FA4A;9374; as opposed to the orig CF4A;D674 in both the GPU gain/offset areas and the matching backup data/values, extracted the new required files for freeboot, rebuilt with ibuild and flashed on but nothing has altered in my gpu readings.  uhh.gif
Why this never changes is beyond me, are big block nands not being handled correctly in these areas?
If they are, what options do I have.

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 5 2010, 08:59 PM) View Post

No luck yet. I entered in the values FA4A;9374; as opposed to the orig CF4A;D674 in both the GPU gain/offset areas and the matching backup data/values, extracted the new required files for freeboot, rebuilt with ibuild and flashed on but nothing has altered in my gpu readings.  uhh.gif
Why this never changes is beyond me, are big block nands not being handled correctly in these areas?
If they are, what options do I have.

What do you think is wrong with your BBJasper?

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 5 2010, 10:26 PM) View Post

Nothing really, but I suppose I've been obsessed with trying to find out why my gpu temps seem to be higher than most and how these values affect them.
Nothing I do with them seems to change the gpu readings, next I want to edit the thresholds and limits but I want to get a handle on this first but can't find any more info.

What do you temps look like? Playing and Idle???

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »

As you would expect the temps pickup on the devices under load but for now I've resigned myself to the fact that some units run warmer or cooler than the average. ie: @ ~20C ambient, idle in xexmenu temps are 38/53/49/25 approx but the highest readings I can remember was back in summer @~32C stock speeds 54.3/70.9/69.5/40.2
Some reassuring info I got over at XBH http://www.xboxhacke...p?topic=14527.0

For now i've edited the thermals and will see how they go, so far the fans seem to track ok but whether the ramping up and down becomes a bit annoying I will have to wait and see.

This is how I have them at present: 50,55,50- 65,75,70 which should be ok for mine from all the testing i've done in different ambients as long as the fans don't have trouble keeping up. As I said it's a starting point.

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »

Are you running the fans any higher than normal. I usally set my speed to 70% when it loads freestyle dash. If I did not turn the fans to 70% I think my temps would prolly be around yours.

If I leave my fans at 70% I can run a game like dead space for like 3 hours and when I return to freestyle niether my gpu or cpu are about 55C. Plus my setup allows my the fans to run about 70% without being able to hear them.

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 7 2010, 04:37 AM) View Post

The fans gradually rose and sat about 75% while playing Red Dead Redemption and room temp was ~22C. I was able to check this by switching back to freestyle and finding the same fan speed at which it was running.
The presets I gave actually suit well for the balance of CPU/GPU/EDRAM temps on my rig but would need to be customised for another.
I don't know if they would keep up without going flat out in the hot weather though.
Bare in mind that I have a stock cooling setup.
I too usually have the fans set at 70% and this seems best for most of the time and 80/90% is probably only needed for hot days.
What I would really like to do is be able to set the idle fan speed to say, 7v (or ~60%) BUT still have the auto feature so that as temps rise so will the fans. That way it will stay pretty cool and quiet most of the time and cooling will take over when the ambients/loads increase.
But even in the great flash tool 0.94 I can't see where/if this is possible. As soon as you pull the speeds up you lose the auto function afaik.

Do you know what your temps are at stock or what they usually are and what setup have you got if you can't hear your fans?
I take it you cooling setup is modified.

Well I think when freestyle dash does the fan override it will not step it if the box gets to hot. So if you set it to 60% and your box needs 80% to stay cool it will remain at 60%. I dont like to use the auto step up but now that I know more I might set it up like you are trying.

As for stock temps, I have never run my jasper with anything but 70% fans and they rarely get above 55C GPU, 55C EDRAM, 50C CPU, 28C MB. The only thing that I did was jtag it and replace the thermal paste, nothing else.

antisniperspy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jun 7 2010, 04:43 PM) View Post

Yeah, I think the auto mode is still a good idea when it's customised for more realistic  settings, not the "lets keep it quiet at all costs" approach that microsoft have done.
Yours seems to have a better balance of temperature gap between the cpu and gpu.

One other thing, when you redid your thermal paste what did you use and did it really reduce the readings at all?

I never started the xbox to see what the original temps were before the jtag was done. I did the hack then the thermal paste and then started it up with case off and I was happy with the idle temps so I closed it back up. I used AS5 I think, I have a few different ones. They are all better then the crap microsoft uses.