xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can I Play A Pal Video In A Ntsc Xb360 Console?  (Read 222 times)

birdwig

• Archived User
Can I Play A Pal Video In A Ntsc Xb360 Console?
« on: December 31, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »

I'm assuming the dvd player built into the xb 360 does convert it automatically for my television, but I'd like for someone to confirm.

I'm not asking b/c of the kiosk disk, I actually have a PAL movie I want to burn from the pc and watch on my tv. However, I was reading about converting a pal to ntsc on the pc, and supposedly it sucks and the picture and sound don't matchup well and it just overall sucks. I also read that if you have a player that converts the pal to ntsc automatically for the television, that it will look superb.

With this kiosk disk that's out, people with NTSC have confirmed that it works in their console, even though it is a PAL disc. So am I correct to assume that the XB360 has a built in PAL to NTSC converter and NTSC to PAL converter(not that i'd need the latter of the two)? Thanks folks.

Dustin

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

Games and all executables support the HD and PAL60 modes (thus 60hz) so that proves nothing for converting videos.

Firstly it says on your 360 box that your NTSC version will only play Region1 discs. And on PAL boxes it says it will only play Region 2.

If you get pal disc and remove its region (copy) or it is region 0 I dont know if an NTSC box will autoswitch into 50hz but PAL 360s do and theres no way to stop it from doing so that I know of. So no it wont convert PAL movies to 60hz.

This post has been edited by Joergen: Dec 31 2005, 09:00 PM

birdwig

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »

Well. I burned that disc for the hell of it. What do you know, it worked just fine. All I did when burning the disc was make it region free.

I feel that the dvd player on-board does indeed have a converter, as it isn't uncommon these days.

Either way, I'm glad I can play PAL dvds in the drive no problem. Maybe my story would be different if it weren't a burned PAL dvd.

Dustin

TWreck

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

I have an All Region PAL DVD that plays flawlessly on my console.

Sculay

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

i have a core PAL system and been playin ntsc dvds ( copied / downloaded) and had no problems and PAL dvds work perfect aswell

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »

Yes yes a PAL box will jump into PAL60 mode hence they work fine. But perhaps the NTSC users who claim their PAL discs look and work great arent seeing that they have a slight stutter, or there is the off chance that their TV supports PAL50.