xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is The Xbox 360-linux Community Trying To Make Us Switch To Linux?  (Read 194 times)

halofun121

• Archived User

I've been over at free60.org often seeing what they've been up to. They now have support for the Xbox 360 Filesystem, but what puzzles me is that it's for Linux. Why not for Windows as well? Can't they release a patch for Windows to? Not all of us have Linux, and I realize that's where their roots are, but does anyone know why they can't release a Windows version?

deltop

• Archived User
Is The Xbox 360-linux Community Trying To Make Us Switch To Linux?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

Sorry but what are you talking about? Just because they've added intial support to the linux kernel for the filesystem that doesn't even mean that it actually works. All it means is that they've added some code that may or may not be working at this time. Plus since it's all open source there is nothing stopping you taking the source and writing any windows based app you want. Plus even once they do have it all worked out and fully working why should they release anything for windows? They aren't interested in that platform. Again it's an open source implementation so there is nothing stopping someone else using the code for a windows based app just don't expect them to do it.

This post has been edited by deltop: Dec 15 2005, 02:23 AM

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »

linux is OPEN SOURCE. which means anyone can have the source code. the Windows operating system is not open source. which means only MS has the source code, not any random xbox360 owner can have that TOP SECRET code so he can put it on his xbox360.

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:00 AM »

also, the problem is that in linux, you can add native support for new drive formats in the very core of the OS, in windows you can only do that a lot more complicated.