xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1st Savegame Exploited Xbox1 Game Now Works On The 360  (Read 470 times)

jonny_eh

• Archived User
1st Savegame Exploited Xbox1 Game Now Works On The 360
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »

Today's update has added support for Splinter Cell 1 (among others). This game has a saved game exploit that allows the execution of unsigned code with a hacked save game file, on the original xbox.

As of now, it's impossible to put a hacked save game file on the 360. But even if we could do that, would the emulator be faithful enough to the original xbox's operation to be exploited too? Of course, if it were exploited, the program it runs would also be emulated and running in the xbox1 'sandbox'. But even that would be good enough for getting Linux and XBMC running!! (depending on if the M$ emulator supports their functions, which for Linux it almost definately does, since it doesn't use the xbox SDK).

It also appears that each game has its' own virtual xbox1 HD for itself. I make this assumption because when I played Halo 2 on Live, it had to download a general xbox live update. Then when I played SC today, it had to get the same update (or so it appeared). So I bet that SC can't even see Halo 2's savegame files, even if it were programmed to look.

If it were so easy for MS to patch the savegame exploit, why didn't they do it for later versions of the xbox1? Maybe the emulator is smart enough to not fall for the exploit but who knows?

What are your thoughts?

bourke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:21:00 AM »

There is only one reason why you are not allowed to transfer your old Xbox-1 saved games onto the 360 - so Splinter Cell (et al) cannot be eploited!

Why else would they restrict this?

Remember that other games (in addition to SC, MA, and AUF) have buffer overflow vulerabilities - so this action was the only way that M$ could 'be sure'.

Therefore, by simply logic, if someone ever does manage to get a saved game across - then we are in business!

Remember that M$ (like Sony) are far more concerned about someone working out ways to play back copies of their games than they are about end users being able to play MAME, XBMC etc.

I would not be surprised if we manage to run unsigned code in the VM... it is getting code to run outside of the VM that will prove nigh impossible!

This post has been edited by bourke: Dec 11 2005, 11:22 AM

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:26:00 AM »

i reckon if it was possible to get the 007 savegame hack onto the xbox it still wouldnt get past the xbox360's security. the xbox1 environment is emulated on the 360 just like your SNES environment is emulated on your xbox1. if you exploited the buffer overflow bug in the emulated xbox1 enviroment you would have a security free xbox1 environment emulated on the xbox360. by no way will it evade the xbox360's security. sorry people

bourke

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »

That's exactly what I just said wasn't it?!

QUOTE(sick_mate_xbox @ Dec 11 2005, 11:57 AM) *

i reckon if it was possible to get the 007 savegame hack onto the xbox it still wouldnt get past the xbox360's security. the xbox1 environment is emulated on the 360 just like your SNES environment is emulated on your xbox1. if you exploited the buffer overflow bug in the emulated xbox1 enviroment you would have a security free xbox1 environment emulated on the xbox360. by no way will it evade the xbox360's security. sorry people

bourke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »

Ar emy eyes deceiving me or was Splinter Cell 1 just removed from the compatible list?!

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 07:28:00 AM »

The UK list has been updated today............

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »

Will people drop this. Currently there is no way to get an xbox save over is the first problem. Secondly, it's just an emulator, you will not take over the actual system. Finally, even if there were some way to make it jump to the actual 360 part, the 360 was designed to heavily thwart buffer overflow attacks. Thanks for playing anyway, now lets look for other ideas.

zilli0n

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

My guess on this is even if the game is exploited and the emulator handles it the same, we will only see the original xbox partition. Not the 360's partition.

cobra2002

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »

Even if the saved games could be transfered, and ran on the emulator. I seriously doubt that the exploit could be any use to getting anywhere with the xbox 360.
Basicly we would be exploiting the xbox operating system, within the confines of a very secure xbox 360 enviroment, what use is that ? none.
It like having your your wallet open, but placed inside a safe, ya wouldnt be able to get ya money would ya ?

savagepoop

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

again im very new to this and no hardley anything about  hacking.
but what this guy is saying could kinda work from where i see it....
say u managed to get the save across and run the exploited save whihc would allow the emulator to run backed up games.......
would this not allow u to run a version of slayers evo x or unleashx etc from a disk allowing FTP capabilities vai pc......
and surley if u were able to ftp to the 360 it would show all the hard drive info..... not just the emulator partition?

or am i wrong in thinking that???
i dont wanna cause n arguments etc but im just thinking of ways

PimpleX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(savagepoop @ Dec 18 2005, 04:25 AM) View Post

again im very new to this and no hardley anything about  hacking.
but what this guy is saying could kinda work from where i see it....
say u managed to get the save across and run the exploited save whihc would allow the emulator to run backed up games.......
would this not allow u to run a version of slayers evo x or unleashx etc from a disk allowing FTP capabilities vai pc......
and surley if u were able to ftp to the 360 it would show all the hard drive info..... not just the emulator partition?
or am i wrong in thinking that???
i dont wanna cause n arguments etc but im just thinking of ways

Let's use the safe analogy(?) again from above, but it's a vault now, you are in there with your gamesave exploit (that's if you can work a way of getting the game save in there in the 1st place) and your xbox (emulated) is there with you

but here's the deal... the door is locked down tight and all your unsigned code that you want to run (slayers et all) is outside the locked door, you don't know the codes or even the lock mechanisms used or even where the door is, it's totally dark in there as well BTW, but for the purposes of the illustration we'll ignore just how you managed to get your self in there in the 1st place LOL ....but you get the point.

The emulated XBOX is NOT the XBOX, but still at least you know it's been covered.

Cheers,

PimpleX

Ninjaman

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »

Just a thought here...and wondering if its possible....to use this item 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box.PSX, Xbox and GC USB controller adapter or any similiar  product.   I just thought...using the USB interface...is it possible to connect your Xbox1 controller to the adapter and plug the USB to the USB controller port to the Xbox360....and possibly getting the gamesave exploit on the memory transferred to the Xbox360 hard drive.  The odds of this is probably nil giving the hardware is different....but like I said ...just a thought. biggrin.gif

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

What happens when you try to launch the xbox dashboard from a game? You know, for creating a new live account or managing saves for those games that can do that.

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

Yah, MS is so stupid, that this is something they wouldn't fix with the release of a splinter cell emulator patch.
 /sarcasm