xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Where Does It Store The Xboxmcx.xex?  (Read 281 times)

explizit

• Archived User
Where Does It Store The Xboxmcx.xex?
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »

Hi,

I have a small speculation about something:

Maybe some of you noticed/read that there is a file called XboxMcx.xex which you can find on your WindowsXP Media Center PC. It's the Xbox Media Center Extender. So I ask myself, when I have a core system without a harddisk and without any memory unit where does the Xbox store that file when I connect it to my MCE PC? Maybe it will be stored in a tsop/eeprom?

This post has been edited by explizit: Dec 5 2005, 08:27 PM

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(explizit @ Dec 5 2005, 12:53 PM) View Post

Hi,

I have a small speculation about something:

Maybe some of you noticed/read that there is a file called XboxMcx.xex which you can find on your WindowsXP Media Center PC. It's the Xbox Media Center Extender. So I ask myself, when I have a core system without a harddisk and without any memory unit where does the Xbox store that file when I connect it to my MCE PC? Maybe it will be stored in a tsop/eeprom?

Why does it need to store it anywhere but ram? If it only uses it when connected to Media Center then why not just stream what it needs? The only neat little trick that could have came of this is if MS got sloppy and made it a compressed archive. Since the core system has nowhere except memory for the decompressed image the most logical step would be to decompress on the remote Media center machine. MS almost certainly did not make this mistake.

explizit

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »

Then maybe it's a point to step in to find out more?