xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Running Windows Media Center 2005 In Vmware  (Read 391 times)

mojokex

• Archived User
Running Windows Media Center 2005 In Vmware
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »

This was all done using legit versions of XP Media Center and VMWare - If you don't own these programs, don't try this at home!

I've successfully been able to install Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition with all of the updates (rollup 2) into a VMWare emulator. The networking settings in VMWare are set to bridged and the media center boots and gets it's own unique IP address on the network.

The actual media center seems to work. It complains that the video card is not supported when I start the media center application, but this should not matter for my purpose. (The VMWare video driver does not have some of the DirectX 9 stuff to play videos that media center wants.) This is OK though because I have no intention of playing videos on the media center, I want to stream them to the XBOX.

All I'm trying to accomplish is to get my XBOX 360 to connect to the media center. I installed the application from xbox.com on the media center and everything is working good, it asks for the 8 digit key that the xbox spits out, and when I enter it, it authenticates and creates a user account on the media center for the xbox to login.

Now everything SHOULD be working fine, but when the xbox actually tries to connect, It gives an error message saying "Session Terminated" - A remote user or application reset the connection to the media center.

I can retry all day, but it always gives the same error. I can verify that the initial communicates between the xbox and the media center are going through, only when it goes to login, something resets the connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong? I want to use this for development of special extentions for my media center that interact with the 360, and I don't have the budget right now to buy ANOTHER piece of hardware to run media center on.

obstler

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »

Not sure I can help you, but I have exactly the same setup. Did a clean install of mce2005 in vmware, bridged network connection to my lan, installed all the necessary updates, and it works just great.

How much ram did you assign to the vm? I had initially set it to 384, and mce complained after some time that it's running out of virtual memory... increased vm ram size to 512 and since then everything is running great. try booting the vm mce, and don't login and see if the connection works fine then. another thing to try is to remove the xbox360 from the extender config (control panel), and re-pair them.

I even finally got streaming of videos from network shares working (as the mce vm doesn't have any content stored locally on the virtual hard disk, of course), see the thread in the PC Tools forum for a how-to.

don't give up...

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »

Nice work though I am unsure on how to help... Just keep trying someone will help you here.

DarthKoRn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

Im doing the exact same thing, been spending all day on it, but I just cant seem to get the damn thing to work.

What my problem is, is that the Xbox sees the Media Center VPC, and the Media Center VPC sees the Xbox, but when I try to connect on the Xbox side (after putting in the 8 digit code thingy), the Xbox just sits at "Contacting Media Center" or something, while the PC just sits at "Connecting to Xbox 360" or whatever.  How did you even get as far as you did?

I know their connected somehow, cause when I go into the settings for the Xbox 360, it says its conencted to a Media Center PC, it just cant open it or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

jonny_eh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »

Not sure that I can help but I have the exact same setup and it works beautifully.

LAN is bridged, rollup 2 is installed, and I got the setup file from xbox.com/pcsetup (I think that's the url).

I've had NO problems streaming content since then.

My VM RAM size is also the default 256 MB with no complaints.

My vmware version is: 5.0.0 build-13124
My Host OS: SUSE 10 (love it!)
MY guest OS: Windows XP MCE 2005 with all updates

Is your xbox/pc hooked up wirelessly? Does it work if you use an ethernet cable instead?

lordashram

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »

i've been running something similar for months. i've been running mce (as well as server 2003) on virtual pc and virtual server. (from m$) they have been running fine except for 3d acceleration, but that's not really needed for the 360 (or any extender) to play movies from it.

smartyparty

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »

Just a thought. Your host PC maybe blocking the comms between the xbox 360 and the vmware session. Try disabling all firewalls on the host

Junglist_Refugee

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »

thanks guys, genius of an idea.

i will give this a lash at home,

I was going to just setup xp mce on another partition,

forgot about good ol vmware - genius!

This post has been edited by Junglist_Refugee: Dec 14 2005, 05:02 PM

Ghansje

• Archived User